Aluminium Smelters In Trinidad

Aluminium Smelters Trinidad - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 29th May, 2009 - 3:24pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Smelter
16th Nov, 2006 - 4:08pm / Post ID: #

Aluminium Smelter In Trinidad

We all know the controversy of this topic and the implementation of this project in Trinidad and Tobago. Residents affected by such decision are very concerned about land and health hazards coming from these plants. Yet, the Prime Minister said of those residents to be "dotish" and their concerns "dotishness"( very interesting term to be used by a Prime Minister rolleyes.gif )

What's your take on the topic?

Sponsored Links:
2nd Dec, 2006 - 3:12am / Post ID: #

Trinidad Smelters Aluminium

I must admit that I have not dived deep into the Topic as I only know a bit from the TV6 reports on the matter, but suffice to say if they want to take away the people's lands then they need to compensate them twice fold. In other words, whereas a man may have had one lot of land, he should have two in a better place.

The ironic thing is I believe they want to have three plants eventually, not just one, so sorry for the people down South, and from what I've heard - sorry for us all because they say it drastically affects the ecosystem.

2nd Dec, 2006 - 3:20am / Post ID: #

Aluminium Smelters In Trinidad Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

I read somewhere that Trinidad is "perfect" for smelters and that's why they are so interested in building more. Yet, Manning recently announced that there is space for only one. This is a huge health risk, why people should move? Some of them lived their whole lives there. Shame.

25th Dec, 2006 - 11:04pm / Post ID: #

Well it seems the Chatam residents have won as PM Manning announced that the government will no longer be building the smelter in that area. Lawrence Maharaj said on Morning Edition (TV6) that this was a move to secure political footing.

Post Date: 29th Dec, 2006 - 7:12pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

My advice is to fight the good fight. Alcoa (Alcan Canadian subsidiary) is the aluminum king and these gentlemen have money. Canada provides them with relatively cheap hydro electricity and to date has 11 of these plants but the primary difference is that is has the second largest landmass on the planet; it's not a tropical island that has a higher population density per square mile and a reduced carrying capacity where its inhabitants spend more time in the out of doors.

The two key elements in the making aluminum are bauxite and electricity and the process is very energy extensive. The closest and largest supplier of bauxite has been traditionally been Jamaica and now appears to be South America. The shipping of bauxite is also expensive and given the increases in prices of oil and the relative vulnerability of the supply of it Alcoa have decided cut costs and in doing so have a plant in Trinidad plant supply the market in the Caribbean basin and South America.

My guess is that your government has agreed to sign on to some long-term contract with Alcoa for the supply of power and to assist them in the red- tape by expediting the building of this facility. There appears to be is a very informed and active campaign against the building of this facility in Trinidad and every attempt should be made to support the effort to stop the building of this facility. This cannot be overstated. There is no such thing as being a little pregnant you either are or you aren't. If they build this plant the effects to the environment and the people, plants, animals, water system and all that inhabit the dead zones and plume fall out zones will be tragic.

The protocol in Canada that is an extensive independent environmental impact study that should include community town hall meetings, as it is imperative to ask/demand that steps-assurances are taken for public health and as the quality of life of the citizens of the country is paramount. I suggest that the same protocol that is followed in the North America should be adhered to in the Caribbean. Information is the key when people are made to understand just what they are inviting to their dinner tables, communities, workplace, atmosphere, drinking fountains, beaches and backyards; only then will truly will this realty become galvanized in minds.

Reconcile Edited: Charles R on 29th Dec, 2006 - 7:17pm

29th Dec, 2006 - 7:56pm / Post ID: #

Great information Charles. The last thing I heard was that the Prime Minister canceled the idea of the smelter but now he is saying he wants to create one on the sea, so the fishermen in Trinidad are quite worried about the idea.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 6th May, 2009 - 10:59am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Aluminium Smelters Trinidad

$703m China loan for smelter

China, the world's largest communist state, is lending Trinidad and Tobago TT$703 million (US$112 million) for the construction of the controversial Alutrint smelter in Union Estate, La Brea which, when completed, is set to produce 250,000 tonnes of aluminium annually. Ref. Source 6

Post Date: 29th May, 2009 - 3:24pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Aluminium Smelters Trinidad Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean

Residents say no to Alutrint's housing deal

For a second time yesterday, residents of Square Deal Corner, La Brea, rejected the free houses being offered to them to make way for the Alutrint smelter. Ref. Source 2

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Aluminium Smelters In Trinidad

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,