States Of Grace [movie]

States Grace [movie] - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 7th Oct, 2007 - 11:29am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

20th Nov, 2006 - 5:52pm / Post ID: #

States Of Grace [movie]

I really want to watch this movie! Sadly enough, I am not in the USA so the chances are very slim. undecided.gif This movie directed by Richard Dutcher ("God's Army" "Brigham City") have great reviews both LDS and non-LDS. It is not allowed to be shown in BYU campus, I suppose because of the violent parts in the movie, but based on the reviews Dutcher's story and acting are excellent. He also changes the typical LDS theme movie with "everything is fine" and takes a more realistic and challenging view on things.

"States of Grace" follows the experiences of two missionaries, Elder Lozano and Elder Farrell who find themselves caught in the crossfire of a gang shooting.

The main actor playing Elder Lozano is an Argentinian actor called Ignacio Serricchio (who moved to Mexico when he was 11)

You can watch a little bit of the movie here:

https://www.statesofgrace.com

Sponsored Links:
7th Oct, 2007 - 11:07am / Post ID: #

movie Grace States

This is one of my all-time favorite movies, especially in LDS movies.

It seems to be either you love it or you hate it when talking about it among church members here in Alaska. It is interesting to talk to full-time missionaries as most serving here think it is "apostate." In my opinion, most have pre-conceived notions about it from leaders, yet have never actually seen it, only heard about it.

I loved the symbolism/parallels in it. There is a point in the story where the gang member is being taught about the Lamanites who buried their weapons.

Alma 24: 17, 19
  17 And now it came to pass that when the king had made an end of these sayings, and all the people were assembled together, they took their swords, and all the weapons which were used for the shedding of man's blood, and they did abury them up deep in the earth.       "¢  "¢  "¢
  19 And thus we see that, when these Lamanites were brought to abelieve and to know the truth, they were bfirm, and would suffer even unto death rather than commit sin; and thus we see that they buried their weapons of peace, or they buried the weapons of war, for peace.
He then goes and does the same with his modern, gang-war weapons. I thought they did a wonderful job paralleling our time to the Book of Mormon time.

We are taught to use the spirit to gage things we watch and listen to. EACH time I have watched this movie I have cried, laughed, worried and felt hope for all who turn their lives to Christ. I would highly recommend it--and yes there are some very adult topics that are dealt with BUT they are issues that each member is confronted with at one time or another and especially our youth and full-time missionaries serving.

I am interested to hear others opinions as I do not understand the missionaries term they use for it, although I don't obviously think it should be a missionary approved movie while serving (like to watch with investigators.)

7th Oct, 2007 - 11:29am / Post ID: #

States Of Grace [movie] Studies Doctrine Mormon

AlaskanLDS, thank you so much for this review! I was thinking about it while I was watching "Saints and Soldiers" last night (see my review within this board).

I saw a little clip from States of Grace and I cannot wait to see it! The main actor (the Latin missionary) is from my country, Argentina. smile.gif

> TOPIC: States Of Grace [movie]

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,