Trinidad & Tobago Inflation At 10% - Page 18 of 25

The government admits that food prices are - Page 18 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 29th Nov, 2008 - 12:36pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 25 pgs.  14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  ...Latest (25) »
High Inflation Economy, cost of living, high prices
25th Oct, 2008 - 12:49pm / Post ID: #

Trinidad & Tobago Inflation At 10% - Page 18

From 13.5% in August to 14.8% in October. I don't know what we will do.

The continued high costs of bread, cereals, fruits and vegetables has continued to drive inflation upward in Trinidad and Tobago, with the rate hitting a new high.

Headline inflation increased to 14.8 per cent in September, up from 13.5 per cent in August, the latest data from the Central Bank showed yesterday.

Food price inflation registered a year-on-year increase of 34.6 per cent in September, up from 30.2 per cent in the previous month.

The increase was led by bread and cereals, fruits, vegetables and fish, which Trinidadians continued to pay more for in the past month.

Core inflation, which strips away the impact of food prices, edged slightly downward to 6.2 per cent last month from 6.3 per cent a month earlier.

The recent reduction in global commodity prices has not yet had a dampening effect on domestic flour and rice prices, which posted significant increases in September, even though one local mill announced a decrease in the wholesale flour price, the Bank said yesterday....

Sponsored Links:
1st Nov, 2008 - 1:10pm / Post ID: #

Inflation Tobago and Trinidad

Prices are dropping everywhere but not in Trinidad and Tobago. Labour Minister Rennie Dumas is blaming local food suppliers because they are refusing to shift food prices downward.

Local food suppliers are abusing the population by refusing to shift food prices downward despite the fact that such prices have dropped in other countries, Labour Minister Rennie Dumas said yesterday.

Dumas was speaking in the Lower House during debate on a motion on food prices.

Noting that international food prices have been moving 'southward" in recent times, Dumas said however that such movement has not been reflected on the grocery shelves of T&T where the SATT and other suppliers are concerned.

"Suppliers are abusing the population, knowing that food prices are returning to the level they were in October/ December 2007. But this is not showing up in the prices we see on the grocery shelf," Dumas said.

He added that Government had made an effort to communicate prices to the public. But he said grocers have not responded.

Stressing that the information on lower food prices is 'there", Dumas said Government would use the information appropriately...

3rd Nov, 2008 - 9:07pm / Post ID: #

Trinidad & Tobago Inflation At 10% Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Country Pride flour has come down a lot and it has forced the other brands to do the same. That is a good show that once one can do it all can do it. If you notice, the price of breads and pastries has not come down at all. Also rice is twice the price of flour.

18th Nov, 2008 - 12:39pm / Post ID: #

Page 18 Inflation Tobago and Trinidad

We always talk about food prices, well they went up to 70% this year, that's ridiculous. This part caught my attention because I always say I see Trinis spending in the same way, no difference really...buying their fancy goods from Hi Lo, getting brand new rides, going abroad for vacations, etc

"He said the main drivers of inflation were the "mind-boggling" record rise in food prices, insufficient agricultural production, Government's rapid development and spending on projects and rapid bank credit expansion.

Even as food prices have hurtled upward, Trinidadians have continued to spend."

Source 5

For most Trinis, nothing is going on in the country.

18th Nov, 2008 - 7:30pm / Post ID: #

Inflation Tobago and Trinidad

Trinis are some of the stupidest people on this planet. Yes I'm a Trini and just as stupid for putting up with these prices.

Post Date: 21st Nov, 2008 - 11:02pm / Post ID: #

Trinidad & Tobago Inflation At 10%

15.4% Inflation rate in October 2008 in Trinidad & Tobago.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
24th Nov, 2008 - 2:56pm / Post ID: #

Trinidad & Tobago Inflation 10% - Page 18

The thing most I buy in Trinidad is food and every time is more and more money. They take all my money and I'm just student here.

29th Nov, 2008 - 12:36pm / Post ID: #

Trinidad & Tobago Inflation 10% Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean - Page 18

The government admits that food prices are dropping all around the world but not in Trinidad and Tobago. Yet, they do not make any serious efforts to have some sort of price control. Supermarkets, double vendors, bakeries they're all taking advantage of this situation and NOT lowering their prices, imagine doing this to their own people. How pathetic is that? I read this letter in the Express and that's exactly how I feel....too bad that most Trinidadians only think with their darn bellies.

Peter Taylor, Minister of Legal and Consumer Affairs, may I politely suggest that you and your Government stop suggesting and act by establishing a price control body to ensure that doubles vendors and by extension all retailers drop their prices.  Food prices are dropping all over the world but in T&T they are on the rise. Business people are wicked, when prices go up they increase their prices immediately, but when the prices drop they do not!Â

I saw a doubles vendor being interviewed on TV. He claimed that even though he is now paying less for flour and channa, he is not dropping his price. What kind of madness is that? It may be true that the government may want to engender the spirit of "free trade" in our economy, but this is clearly being abused in T&T and therefore the goverment has no other alternative but to establish stringent price controls for commodities with stiff penalties for any breaches if only to protect the welfare of consumers.

Further, I suggest a national boycott of doubles and all bakery products, after all, they're delicacies, not essentials.  Would Trinbagonians for once exercise their civil right and demand to be treated with equity and fairness?  Where is the Housewives Association? Why are the women of this country so silent with regard to these ridiculous food prices. If anything, they should be out in in the streets in full force protesting.

Oke ZacharyÂ

Woodbrook

> TOPIC: Trinidad & Tobago Inflation At 10%

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,