Trinidad & Tobago Inflation At 10% - Page 8 of 25

Manning and his ministers really get on my - Page 8 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 23rd Apr, 2008 - 2:31am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 25 pgs.  4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ...Latest (25) »
High Inflation Economy, cost of living, high prices
16th Apr, 2008 - 11:34pm / Post ID: #

Trinidad & Tobago Inflation At 10% - Page 8

OK I agree we may not have it as bad as you all down there but we still have it bad. Look at gas for instance. It costs me twice as much to go anywhere, so I don't go out as much as I used to.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 17th Apr, 2008 - 4:31pm / Post ID: #

Trinidad & Tobago Inflation At 10%
A Friend

Inflation Tobago and Trinidad

My contract has that nice little clause at theend of it. "other duties as assigned" I think many companies have that in their contracts to help in the case of an illness or loss of an worker the other workers take on added responsibility until such a time someone is replaced or comes back to that job position.

As far as inflation and stuff that is going on nowadays the end is not in sight yet. I think there is going to be more hardships every where before we see things restablished. I hope that when it does it is not too harsh on those whom I listed as friends here.

20th Apr, 2008 - 2:12pm / Post ID: #

Trinidad & Tobago Inflation At 10% Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

In the darkest hour of the country's economy, some supermarket owners want to held people on ransom, by doing what? By keeping back flour and telling them they have to spend $200 or more in goods BEFORE they are allowed to purchase flour. This is disgusting!

Already grumbling about high food prices, consumers now have to face another burden-being forced to buy grocery items, sometimes more than $100 worth, before they get basic items like flour.

Last week, the Sunday Guardian visited a few supermarkets and spoke to consumers about this development.

"Just imagine; they tell me I have to spend more than $100 for me to get flour," said an angry Verne Richards, who shops at a supermarket in San Fernando.

She was a regular there, and felt the move to force her and others to buy items they didn't need or really couldn't afford, was unfair.

Janet Williams, a customer at another supermarket in Port-of-Spain, said sometimes she could afford to purchase only one item-flour-which she uses to make bake for her children.

"I am a single mother, and it is hard for me and my children. These owners don't care about us.

"What is the honourable minister doing about this?" she questioned.

A Sangre Grande grocery owner has been demanding shoppers buy $200 or more in goods before they get flour.

Shoppers felt they were being held to ransom.

Lawyers: It's illegal

A few attorneys were contacted to find out about the legal implications of forcing consumers to buy a certain amount of goods in order to get a certain item.

Martin George said: "To the best of my knowledge, there is no way that someone can hold a consumer to ransom. It is the type of action that the ministry should get involved in.

"It is an illegal act that is punishable by law."

He said in his career as a legal professional, he never knew this to be something that was legal.

Another attorney, Nyree Alfonso, said as a matter of law, you cannot force someone to buy something in order to get something else.

"I do not think that in good conscience that a grocery or supermarket should do that."

A concerned Alfonso felt: "Our country is not heavily regulated when it comes to consumer rights....

22nd Apr, 2008 - 7:37pm / Post ID: #

Page 8 Inflation Tobago and Trinidad

JB:

I'm not sure what your point is here. The problems people are going through here is not a game,

JB I read my own post several times and I am puzzled about how you drew the conclusion that I considered the crisis we are experiencing here is "a game." I was merely illustrating the point that if our TT dollar was valuable, all goods would still increase along with the rest of the world.

JB:
Inflation here is NOT the same as in North America just as Trinidad is not as affected as someone is who lives in Haiti, to put everyone in one bucket is to be uneducated about economics and the value of the dollar.

One of the most important laws of economics is "Supply and Demand." At present, there is a shortage of wheat and the farmers are unable to meet the rising demand to supply food. There are many reasons why there is a food crisis:

1) Rising oil prices
2) Rise in production of biofuels
3) Change in diet
4) Extreme weather conditions

Once there is an item that sells very quickly and it is difficult to meet the demand and unfortunately, the price increases and usually, the quantity and quality of the product decreases. If our TT Dollar was valuable, we would still be faced with rising prices JB. And that is my point. People would continue to starve here and in other countries. Inflation affects everyone!

What I am very perturbed about is, supermarkets are going to capitalize on this food crisis. I was talking to a friend last week, who works in a supermarket and she informed me that she was instructed to "hide" certain items because a decision was made to increase the price. So now we are faced with a food crisis and people taking advantage of this crisis as the perfect excuse to raise the prices on certain items or I should say, eventually on all items!

I felt very sad when I read LDS post about supermarkets demanding that customers should spend $100.00 or $200.00 before they could buy the one item that they came for: flour. I am not surprised at this. The bourgeoisie always takes full advantage of the proletariat and hence the reason why the rich becomes richer and the poor, suffers and literally starves to death!

22nd Apr, 2008 - 8:25pm / Post ID: #

Inflation Tobago and Trinidad

QUOTE (Geenie)
I am puzzled about how you drew the conclusion that I considered the crisis we are experiencing here is "a game."

You used the word "pretend" before. My response with "game" was just a rebuff to the idea that we can pretend something that is not so as an argument for something we live each day.

There are other Threads where we Discuss why everything is the way it is; Food Shortage, Biofuels and so forth are the names of some of those Threads. My point is that Trinidad is not affected in the SAME way as it is in North America, however, can we get passed this now?

23rd Apr, 2008 - 12:41am / Post ID: #

Trinidad & Tobago Inflation At 10%

Okay JB, here is some food for thought (no pun intended). The Governor of Central Bank, Mr Ewart Williams, indicated in today's newspaper, (the Express) that the following factors are contributing to the inflation in Trinidad:

1) Excessive consumerism
2) Government spending too much (Good to see that someone else is saying this, hopefully, the Prime Minister may heed Mr Williams warning)
3) The agricultural sector needs to be encouraged a lot more in this country.

Here is the link on this report:

https://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/ar...ws?id=161313157

My point is that Trinidad is not affected in the SAME way as it is in North America, however, can we get passed this now?

JB I am surprised that you are discouraging me from debating. I remember reading one of your posts from a particular thread, highlighting that there are some members in this forum, who raise a point in their posts and do not make any attempts to support their view. I am merely stating my point of view here and doing my very best to support it.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
23rd Apr, 2008 - 1:28am / Post ID: #

Trinidad & Tobago Inflation 10% - Page 8

Geenie you are something else. Yes, I encourage debate about an issue, but in this case I think we are not seeing the same perspective. You keep repeating the reasons for inflation which I DO AGREE, what I do not agree with is when a comparison of inflation is considered the SAME between two countries, in this case here and the US. My issue is with with a comparison that Buff mentioned. I believe I clarified my position already, not sure what else there is to say.

23rd Apr, 2008 - 2:31am / Post ID: #

Trinidad & Tobago Inflation 10% Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean - Page 8

Manning and his ministers really get on my nerves. I am so tired to hear them saying how the food crisis is a worldwide problem. Fine! But why keep repeating it! Will that make things better? Not to mention that yes, I agree is a worldwide problem but the way this Government is spending is crazy! I wonder though, will there be a limit or a drawing line when Trinis will wake up and move their butts and protest or make some sort of boycott?

> TOPIC: Trinidad & Tobago Inflation At 10%

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,