Trinidad & Tobago Inflation At 10% - Page 9 of 25

I have noticed that the latest trend in some - Page 9 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 1st May, 2008 - 6:41pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 25 pgs.  5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ...Latest (25) »
High Inflation Economy, cost of living, high prices
29th Apr, 2008 - 3:01pm / Post ID: #

Trinidad & Tobago Inflation At 10% - Page 9

I wonder why we are here discussing inflation and food crisis if the Minister of Agriculture says there is no food crisis in Trinidad. Maybe we are all making it up. rolleyes.gif

WHAT FOOD CRISIS?

Minister of Agriculture, Land and Marine Resources, Senator Arnold Piggott, says there is no food crisis in Trinidad and Tobago.

His comments come as supermarket shelves nationwide are bare of flour and rice, which have been in short supply and escalating in cost, prompting some level of panic buying from consumers.

"I wouldn't like us to say that we have a crisis in food in Trinidad and Tobago, because I don't know that we do. I am not aware that we have a crisis at this time. What we have been doing is seeking to prepare such that we don't find ourselves in a crisis," Piggott said yesterday during a press conference at the Kapok Hotel in Port of Spain.

"We are importing food from many countries, we are producing substantial quantities of food in Trinidad and Tobago."

This was the first time Piggott had spoken publicly on the issue of the growing demand and cost of food. His comment were also in contrast with statements made by Consumer Affairs Minister Peter Taylor, who last week encouraged consumers to change their eating habits and start planting home gardens to survive the worsening food crisis.

Piggott added that the ministry was currently conducting a gap analysis to determine how much we produce, as opposed to what the population demands. He called on the nation to be understanding.

He was speaking at a media conference to announce that Trinidad and Tobago was scheduled to host the Second Roundtable on Sustainable World Cocoa Economy in March 2009.

Contacted on Piggott's comment yesterday, president of the Supermarkets Association, Balliram Maharaj, said news reports clearly point out that the world is crying out about a rice and wheat crisis. He added that the country was facing a serious food shortage and that agricultural production must be fast tracked.

President of the Downtown Owners and Merchants Association (DOMA), Gregory Aboud, meanwhile said that while this country may not be experiencing a food crisis, more should be done to ensure that it does not take place.

"I tend to agree that there isn't a crisis-as yet. This does not preclude a crisis in the future. The fact remains that there is widespread international concern about the supply of food and that should be ample warning to our country that agriculture needs to become a priority again," Aboud said.

Piggott also announced various initiatives to increase food production and said the ministry is working to bring relief to citizens.

"This Government is acutely aware of the imperative that has been placed upon Trinidad and Tobago to facilitate increased food production and as we speak, several committees are diligently at work to fine tune certain initiatives," he said.

According to Piggott, this includes a committee on revised incentives to farmers, a committee to deal with praedial larceny, a committee reviewing subsidies for rice farmers and a committee tackling possibilities for labour supply.

"In the face of unprecedented increases in the cost of food, the Government is mindful of the need for a sustainable agricultural sector. Very shortly, your Minister of Agriculture will announce the revised annual rates or rents on State leases to mitigate higher levels of food prices, which may result from imported food stuff," he said.

Piggott said within the next two weeks, he should be able to say what the new rates will be....

https://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/ar...ws?id=161316420

Also just because wheat prices went down globally, do not expect flour prices to go down here. Why am I not surprised?

ALTHOUGH the price of wheat has fallen by at least 40 per cent on the global market, the National Flour Mills is making no guarantees on whether or not the price of flour will decrease for local consumers.

Speaking to the Express yesterday, NFM communications manager Simone Harris said, "There is a high level of uncertainty still in the market at present in relation to prices going up and down and it is just too early to say."

She said NFM officials were currently monitoring the situation to see if the prices would level off and stabilise, before they made any decisions concerning price adjustments.

Internationally, farmers have responded to a call to increase wheat production. The anticipated surplus has driven the prices of wheat futures down....

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 29th Apr, 2008 - 3:15pm / Post ID: #

Trinidad & Tobago Inflation At 10%
A Friend

Inflation Tobago and Trinidad

Why do I get the feeling that he is purposely holding back on shipments of rice and flour to "gauge" what is produced in country and how much is needed to be imported. I wonder what stakes he has in this. SOunds like to me he wants prices to go up because he has connection in the food supply and the tighter the supply the more he makes. I could be wrong but that is what I got out of this.

1st May, 2008 - 2:32am / Post ID: #

Trinidad & Tobago Inflation At 10% Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

The Prime Minister Patrick Manning said that soaring food prices could bring instability. Even more? This is getting scarier by the minute.

In the wake of the denial by Agriculture Minister Arnold Piggott that there's a local food crisis, Prime Minister Patrick Manning has pointed to the "potentially destabilising rise in the cost of food".

Speaking about the challenging nature of the rising food prices at yesterday's launch of the 2008 Trade and Investment Convention at the Centre of Excellence, Macoya, Manning said high energy costs, increasing demand and lower production are all contributors to the "potentially destabilising rise in the cost of food".

With this in mind, Manning said, "The partnership between the Government and the private sector must rise to the occasion if the nation is to surmount the challenges that are before us."

The Prime Minister acknowledged that the rising cost of food was a problem for all citizens and said, "Consumers must exercise greater discipline and discretion than before."

Manning also warned that the business community should be careful not to exploit the people's vulnerability at this time when the nation faced food security challenges....

1st May, 2008 - 2:58pm / Post ID: #

Page 9 Inflation Tobago and Trinidad

Despite the high food prices I do find that the cost of vegetables has gone down significantly in the market. I cannot believe anyone would buy the same vegetables in the supermarket for three times the price. Maybe people are not buying as they used to.

Post Date: 1st May, 2008 - 5:08pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Inflation Tobago and Trinidad

If buying slows they will have to lower prices to move older stock. Maybe buying a lot of veggies to use in your diet is the way to go for the time being?

1st May, 2008 - 5:11pm / Post ID: #

Funny you should mention that because I recently started a cleansing regime that was recently reminded to me based on a Post made by Robert, so it has come in the nick of time, but for how long. One major problem with veggies is that you have to buy them often as they do not have a long 'shelf' life.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 1st May, 2008 - 6:07pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Trinidad & Tobago Inflation 10% - Page 9

If I remember right you can freeze veggies if you put them in a protective dish. This will extend their shelf life for a month or two I believe.

1st May, 2008 - 6:41pm / Post ID: #

Trinidad & Tobago Inflation 10% Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean - Page 9

I have noticed that the latest trend in some countries is, to freeze vegetables in a special do-it-yourself sealing machine, which is suppose to prevent freezer burn. Cutting up vegetables and freezing them, makes life a lot easier for working individuals, who sometimes feel too exhausted to cook, after a long day at work. However, please bear in mind that, frozen vegetables do not taste as crisp as fresh vegetables. Secondly, once you freeze vegetables, all the nutrients are lost; therefore, eating vegetables while they are fresh are indeed tastier and more healthier for you.

> TOPIC: Trinidad & Tobago Inflation At 10%

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,