Venezuela Politics

Venezuela Politics - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 28th May, 2007 - 3:07am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (12) »
Post Date: 1st Dec, 2006 - 11:43am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Venezuela Politics

CHAVEZ: UPSET 'IMPOSSIBLE' IN PRESIDENTIAL VOTE

Venezuela's Hugo Chavez called his leading presidential challenger a liar and urged his enemies to respect the result of Sunday's election, saying an upset would be impossible.
Ref. https://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/11/...n.ap/index.html

Sponsored Links:
1st Dec, 2006 - 2:51pm / Post ID: #

Politics Venezuela

and urged his enemies to respect the result of Sunday's election, saying an upset would be impossible.

Hmmm..I wonder how can be so sure? Unless he is going to make sure an upset would be impossible, if you know what I mean. rolleyes.gif

He says a liar cannot be a President of Venezuela. I think someone needs a reality check.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 4th Dec, 2006 - 3:29pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Venezuela Politics History & Civil Business Politics

ELECTION OFFICIALS: CHAVEZ WINS BY WIDE MARGIN

President Hugo Chavez, an outspoken opponent of the United States who has used Venezuela's oil wealth to give handouts to the poor, won re-election to another six-year term by a wide margin on Sunday, official results showed.
Ref. https://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/12/...n.ap/index.html

6th Dec, 2006 - 10:11am / Post ID: #

Politics Venezuela

I would like to know how everyone feels about Chavez. He seems to be a leader you either love or hate based on your ideological convictions. Many people in Latin America view him as a champion of the poor and someone who will stand up to the US. While those who champion capitalism view him as the devil!

He is obviously very blunt in his assessment of President Bush and the current US Administration. But does his reluctance to cosy up to the US make him a bad leader?

International Level: Negotiator / Political Participation: 453 ActivistPoliticianNegotiator 45.3%

6th Dec, 2006 - 12:35pm / Post ID: #

Politics Venezuela

QUOTE (arvhic @ 6-Dec 06, 6:11 AM)
He is obviously very blunt in his assessment of President Bush and the current US Administration. But does his reluctance to cosy up to the US make him a bad leader?

I will not call him blunt. He was very disrespectful, in any case I don't think his reluctance of trying to friend the USA make him a bad leader but certain choices that he has made make me (personally) have no respect whatsoever as a leader.

The guy tried a coup against a democratic-president at that time, he got an amnesty (like most of the time happens in South American countries and even the Caribbean: Argentina, Trinidad) and six years later elected as Venezuelan President. Madness. He has been in office since 1998! He won re-election in 2000 and wanted to extend the five-year period (that is normal for a president) to 12 years! The guy wants to be the next Fidel Castro.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

8th Dec, 2006 - 5:11pm / Post ID: #

Venezuela Politics

Yeah I must admit his record in coming to and holding onto power is certainly questionable. Didn't he change the laws so that presidents can only stay in power for two terms, but changed it again so he could remain in power?

I think anyone who needs a coup to come to power is shady, but I am not sure of the political climate when he attempted this. Was Venezuela ruled by a dictator beforehand?

Chavez is an interesting character because he has actually done a lot of good for the poor. Some of his projects have directly improved the conditions for many Venezuelans and he has invested heavily in the education and health systems. His control over his nation's oil supply isn't such a bad thing in my opinion because it benefits Venezuelans. I think the US demonises Chavez a lot for his control of oil, but why shouldn't he? Does anyone tell the US what they should do with their natural resources? You also have to look past his rhetoric of the US leadership. Maybe Chavez is sick of the US Government pretty much doing as it pleases with poorer neighbours?

I also think there is merit in his idea for Latin America to unite, especially economically. Whether this is practical or not remains to be seen, but regional consolidation is a good thing in a global economy.

Then of course there is the power hungry, authoritarian side of Chavez"¦ what do you all think?

International Level: Negotiator / Political Participation: 453 ActivistPoliticianNegotiator 45.3%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
8th Dec, 2006 - 5:53pm / Post ID: #

Venezuela Politics

arvhic said:

Didn't he change the laws so that presidents can only stay in power for two terms, but changed it again so he could remain in power?

You are correct.

Was Venezuela ruled by a dictator beforehand?

No, it was a democratic elected President but a very controversial one.

Chavez is an interesting character because he has actually done a lot of good for the poor. Some of his projects have directly improved the conditions for many Venezuelans and he has invested heavily in the education and health systems.

Hitler did all those things and more for Germany.

Maybe Chavez is sick of the US Government pretty much doing as it pleases with poorer neighbours?

I am sure he is but I believe Chavez is nothing more than an opportunist. He was recently in a trip to Argentina where he met with the President (they seem like buddies) yet when confronted with his opinion on the Argentina-Iran issue (because of the terrorist attacks) he went silent because of his friendship with Iran. I do not trust him.

28th May, 2007 - 3:07am / Post ID: #

Venezuela Politics Politics Business Civil & History

I can't stand Chavez, he is a dangerous guy and a dictator. He decided not to renew the license of a TV station just because basically they disagree with him and his decisions. No freedom of speech in Venezuela while Chavez on power. Really scary.

CARACAS, Venezuela (CNN) -- Venezuelan police on Sunday used water cannons and what appeared to be tear gas to break up thousands of demonstrators protesting the government's decision to close the country's most-watched television station.

The protest began in front of National Telecommunications Commission headquarters after members of the National Guard seized broadcast equipment, including antennas, the result of a Supreme Court order on Friday.

During the clash, two or three bullets were shot into a nearby traffic light, police said. Soon afterward, the director of the Metropolitan Police, Juan Francisco Romero, pointed to the light, and said on television that police were "not going to accept the situation."

It was not immediately clear who had fired the shots.

Police told The Associated Press that at least four officers were slightly injured after some of the protesters threw rocks and bottles.

After police stopped using the water cannons, the crowd regrouped, and video of the scene showed a peaceful mood, with people waving flags and chanting as night fell.

Inside the studios of Radio Caracas Television, employees cried and chanted
"Freedom!" on camera, AP reported.

"We are living an injustice," presenter Eyla Adrian said, according to AP. "I wish that tonight would never come."

President Hugo Chavez announced in January that the government would not renew the broadcast license for the station, long an outlet for opposition parties.

Chavez has accused the station of supporting the failed 2002 coup against him and violating broadcast laws.

He called the station's soap operas "pure poison" that promote capitalism, according to AP.

RCTV, which has been broadcasting for 53 years, is slated to be off the air at midnight. It will be replaced by a state-run station...

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (12) »

> TOPIC: Venezuela Politics

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,