Hispanic Not A Race? - Page 2 of 5

ok if its not about color then why is white - Page 2 - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 22nd Aug, 2007 - 10:00pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
The census does it right! Hispanic is NOT a race. There are many races within the Latino community, including White, Black, Native Indian, and even Asian. Some segments, like the Cuban community, show very few mixed-race individuals. In fact, Cubans exhibit a race discrimination behavior within their community that is similar to that of the general market.
Post Date: 10th Jan, 2007 - 10:57pm / Post ID: #

Hispanic Not A Race?
A Friend

Hispanic Not A Race? - Page 2

QUOTE (LDS_forever)
I am just pointing out that saying your race is Hispanic is like saying you are a Trinidadian because just like any other country, there are different races within the Hispanic population

To reply, a bit late - I might add:

A white person from an Hispanic area is not going to check Hispanic - he will check - white. Thus it does not tell the bureau where the person is from - but it will tell what is the color of the person skin.

Thus I guess you are saying that color of skin and race is the same - it does not matter where you are from - all that matter is what is the color of your skin

Which I think is quite an outdated way to track people.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please learn how to use the Quote Tags. See our Constructive Posting Policy. Please use uppercase letters as appropriate.

Sponsored Links:
20th Mar, 2007 - 2:09am / Post ID: #

Race Not Hispanic

A white person from an Hispanic area is not going to check Hispanic - he will check - white. Thus it does not tell the bureau where the person is from - but it will tell what is the color of the person skin.

I am not sure how familiar you are with the census but the first question they ask (for Hispanics) is: "Is this person Spanish/ Hispanic/ Latino?"(asking ethnicity) and THEN the question is: "What is this person's race?" and the options: White, Black, American Indian, etc (different races are listed) so indeed, the bureau knows whether a "white" person is from Hispanic origin or not.

Thus I guess you are saying that color of skin and race is the same - it does not matter where you are from - all that matter is what is the color of your skin.

I do not know where you got that conclusion. Skin color has nothing to do with race.

What I am saying is that people are wrong by describing Hispanics as a race group. They are not. There are different races within the Hispanic population.

24th Jul, 2007 - 9:31pm / Post ID: #

Hispanic Not A Race? Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

It was said that

Analyzing the above statement will show some interesting social constructs that abound in thinking in that what does one mean by an Hispanic area?
The Americas are the home of indigenous people. The word Hispanic is a word designed to lump a group together to control and allocate resources based on said representation. Nothing more and nothing less hence the change to allocate a numerical designation by colour and obviously not culture. Mestizaje is the present state of European and indigeous coming together so however you look is the way you deem yourself but again if you are black enough and you imagine yourself white, then the census taker will note you as black! despite your pronouncement to the contrary. How do I know? My Dominican Cuban and Puerto Rican socios (and I have seen their family) where it seems there are brother and sister of varying degrees of colour so to the census take, they are labelled as different races (ethnicities) in the same family since they do not choose to be black. Some may even refer to Taino as their true roots to trick the census taker! Nobofy wants to be black in the USA version of colour!

I heard and read about this story where a Mexican from Oaxaca (Mexico) was telling a story about how proud he was of his Indian (indigena) heritage. He was saying his daughter went to California to get a job. She met and married another Mexican and the man was proud of the family. The interviewer ask the man how old the granddaughter was and he responded accordingly. The interview switched back and forth about identity and asked the man what his daughter was to be called since she was born in USA. He said she was now a 'Spanish American'!

The American census has never been about origin. It has been about race in their own peculiar way! What we see is cultural imperialism, social constructs and negative value used to divide and not unite.

22nd Aug, 2007 - 7:37pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Race Not Hispanic

In the 50's Hispanics were told to classify them selfs as white. We are our own people and that was a way of taking away our individuality. Where do the jewish people fit in in the census If you go by the Bible the are a race of people. The census should not be the anchor point for if something is a race or not. The census is just one group of peoples opinion, they are not the end all say all of who we are. The dictionary says this:

Race, noun- a group of persons related by common descent or heredity.

and the encyclopedia says this:

Race- Informal classification of the human species according to hereditary (genetic) differences. Different racial characteristics arose among geographically separated populations partly through adaptation to differing environments across many generations. However, as there is no evidence of genetic racial distinctions anthropologists reject the term.

Those are two different sources that contradict the census definition of race.

22nd Aug, 2007 - 8:30pm / Post ID: #

Race Not Hispanic

Shanecorp:

The census should not be the anchor point for if something is a race or not. The census is just one group of peoples opinion, they are not the end all say all of who we are. The dictionary says this:

Race, noun- a group of persons related by common descent or heredity.

True, the census should not a measuring stick, nevertheless they have it right. Hispanic is NOT a race because within the hispanic population there are many races (whites, blacks, asians, amerindians, etc). Thy do not share at all the same racial background but they do share the same location, language, etc making it an ethnicity.

22nd Aug, 2007 - 8:55pm / Post ID: #

Hispanic Not A Race?

Filipinos would be described as asian but they are a mix of Spanish and asian decent. Italians would be considered white but they get the dark skin and hair from the when the moors conquered them. So how do you say wether an ethnicity should claim one race or another? If I am a Puerto Rican my roots are Black, White and Spanish so If Hispanic is not a race then what race do I personally choose? Now all in all I think this whole thing is semantics, if we really think about it we are all Human and that is our true race. Not saying I believe in aliens but if they were discovered and we set up a universal system we would be classified as

Race: Human

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
22nd Aug, 2007 - 9:41pm / Post ID: #

Hispanic Not Race - Page 2

Filipinos would be described as asian but they are a mix of Spanish and asian decent.

If Filipinos are "mixed" as you stated, then they are "mixed". End of the story.

Italians would be considered white but they get the dark skin and hair from the when the moors conquered them. So how do you say wether an ethnicity should claim one race or another?

Skin color has nothing to do with race. Phenotypes has nothing to do with race either.

If I am a Puerto Rican my roots are Black, White and Spanish so If Hispanic is not a race then what race do I personally choose?

In the census? You are under "Other". For the rest, you are "mixed".

Most of the examples you gave me are of obvious mixed folks, they do not have a particular race. I do not understand why you feel they must fit in one category.

Now all in all I think this whole thing is semantics, if we really think about it we are all Human and that is our true race. Not saying I believe in aliens but if they were discovered and we set up a universal system we would be classified as

Race: Human

All nice, but we are not discussing the issue from that perspective but from the "real world" perspective, after all when they ask you what your race is, do you answer "Human"? spock.gif

22nd Aug, 2007 - 10:00pm / Post ID: #

Hispanic Not Race Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews - Page 2

ok if its not about color then why is white or black an acceptable answer for race? If its not about where you come from or your region then what is it about?

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Hispanic Not A Race?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,