Race: Black Mixed With East Indian - Page 2 of 4

Name: Ariz Comments: I can really relate to - Page 2 - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 23rd Aug, 2009 - 7:50pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Best of  Race Black Mixed With East Indian
Post Date: 21st Mar, 2009 - 6:21pm / Post ID: #

Race: Black Mixed With East Indian - Page 2

Name: Mimi

Comments: I'm also 'blindian' and I haven't really ever felt confused about anything, nor do I feel treated differently by either side. My mix is Indian and Nigerian and while neither side ever believes me when I tell them I'm part African or part Indian- it hasn't really ever bothered me. I identify more with my black side and have never felt excluded or as though I'm not accepted- this may however, have something to do with the fact that I look black. I guess if I looked Indian but identified more with my black side I might have run into some type of difficulty?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 6th Apr, 2009 - 2:22am / Post ID: #

Indian East Mixed Black Race

Name: Mo

Comments: I am also half Indian (Punjabi) and Nigerian, it has been the most difficult experience of my life. Mainly because my mum is Indian and for her to fall in love with a black man is considered extremely bad. Her family refused to have any contact with me. She has been called so many names, I.e "hoe". However when people ask me where I am from in England they think it is a beautiful mix. Its a shame part of my family dont see that. From what I have experienced Indians are extremely racists, the lighter you are the better you are. In my eyes there are many people that are black and beautiful, they have been conditioned by the British to see black as bad. South Indians even get a hard time from their parents.. Its pretty sick if u ask me! . This whole issue of race from the Indian side makes me a shamed of where I come from. As for the Nigerian side there is no problem there, they are very accepting. Its a shame because in England there is very few people like myself. So its difficult for me to relate to just the Indian side or just the Nigerian side. Overall its not a good thing being bi racial with Indian and black.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please use uppercase letters for names of places and persons before submitting.

Post Date: 8th Apr, 2009 - 4:15am / Post ID: #

Race: Black Mixed With East Indian Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

Name: Sonia

Comments: Ah... This is a good and complicated question. The answer is just as complex. I am mixed with black, Indian and Native American. My Indian roots are filtered through two places in the Indian diaspora (Madagascar & Trinidad). I have grown up in the U.S., and am basically identified as African-American, though people either assume or know that I'm "mixed with something." In the U.S., you are definitely expected to choose one identity, and since historically in America these choices are governed by an archaic "one drop rule", if you are black at any level, you are considered black. In Trinidad, I feel more at home, because there are more people with my particular mix. As one person stated, the official name for such a mix is "Dougla." Also, the social mixing between blacks and Indians in Trinidad are much more fluid -- though there is a definite political/economic rivalry between the two groups. In the U.S., being mixed with Desi roots is a curiosity / novelty among both blacks and Indians. It has been my experience that in America, Indians think it's "kinda cool", but the disparity arises when it comes time for serious dating/marriage -- when one is expected to marry within one's own race. Among blacks, they think it interesting, but if you identify too heavily with your Indian-ness you are looked upon with skepticism and labeled as being "lost." So, it is complex and often difficult, probably just because I am a person to whom identity is so important. Maybe others don't really care. I've not been to Madagascar, so I don't know how I'd be perceived there. I'm very curious to see how the experience goes down in other places in the world where there is this African/Indian mix (e.g., Mauritius,South Africa, Kenya, Uganda). I recently went to India and that was quite an experience -- even more complex than in both America and Trinidad. If I wore my hair "out" (I.e., curly) either people loved my hair, or to the other extreme, traditionalists would say I would "look better" when I slicked my hair back or straightened it. Some people in India said I looked "more Indian than anything" because there are racial stereotypes about what being black is supposed to be. A taxi driver in Goa said it best, when expressing his confusion and curiousity: "Your face is Indian, but your hair is African. Where are you from?" The thing is, ironically, in India I saw many people who looked exactly like me. That to me, speaks to the racial diversity within India and India's ethnic origins. Though my Indian roots are in North India (Uttar Pradesh and Gujarat), because of my particular ethnic mix of African, Native American, and Indian (not to mention some Euro traces as well), I found more people looking like me in south India and therefore feel more at home there. Keralites, when they see my photo, they assume I am Mallu (from Kerala). But when actually in Kerala, I was asked if I was from Malaysia, or Tamil Nadu. I think it has to do more with body type and language. From region to region, in India, each area has its own mannerisms and style. All in all, being in Trinidad is most comfortable all the way around -- as far as dating, marriage, acceptance and identity. Ironically, it can also be easier to exist in India if you identify at all with being Indian. I find India feels honored and flattered to have you seek out your roots and identify with being Indian. (Perhaps it may be the same in Africa, but I've not been there yet). Living in America is the most difficult, because, though America can be a great melting pot, the truth is, it is still very segregated -- especially with blacks and Indians.

Post Date: 8th Apr, 2009 - 6:43pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Indian East Mixed Black Race

Name: K

Comments: Please be aware that the term "Dougla" is an offensive word; This is a Bhojpuri and Hindi word which has many meanings such as; many, a mix, or much. Some of the connotations of the word such as bastard, illegitimate and son of a whore are secondary and limited to sections of North India where the term may have originated.

18th Aug, 2009 - 9:36pm / Post ID: #

Indian East Mixed Black Race

I don't think there is a specific name for this mixture of race. If someone is "East Indian and black" then they can tell someone this in a few different ways. Everyone in this world is a mixture of something whether they want to admit or not. Our ancestors going back thousands of years looked totally different. Over years people mixed and changed according to climate, genetic mutations, etc.
Where I live (Dallas, Texas), it is a melting pot of different races and cultures. Most people in my area accept others no matter what race mixture they are. People are people and we should all learn to accept others.

Post Date: 19th Aug, 2009 - 3:52pm / Post ID: #

Race: Black Mixed With East Indian

Name: RIOT

Comments: My mother is Black and my father is East Indian. I look like a Black person infused with Indian. For me its strange to see Indian people because I am them but I CANNOT relate to them. I grew up with my Black family and I know nothing about people from India or their culture. A lot of people tell me that they are racist and only like their own kind. Whenever I see them I wonder if they can tell I am also Indian or if they just seen another Black person.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
19th Aug, 2009 - 5:44pm / Post ID: #

Race Black Mixed East Indian - Page 2

RIOT, you say you look like a Black person then probably you do. Don't be concerned how "Racists" see you, the truth is that for those kind of people once you're not "white", you're Black (no matter your ethnicity).

Post Date: 23rd Aug, 2009 - 7:50pm / Post ID: #

Race Black Mixed East Indian Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews - Page 2

Name: Ariz

Comments: I can really relate to being half Indian and half Black...I grew up in East Africa, it was really tough because I looked Indian, but because my mother was African, I had knew nothing about Indian culture or language. I feel more connected to Africans... Nothing in common with Indians. Indians always looked down on mixed people and matter of fact, I found their ways rather racist and their mannerism quite annoying, yet by appearance I look 100% Indian and not light brown... I'm glad I now live in Canada more mixed couples here.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Race: Black Mixed With East Indian

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,