Why Is Trinidad Considered A Third World Country?

Why Trinidad Considered World Country - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 30th Aug, 2008 - 5:09am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (7) »
21st Dec, 2006 - 2:10pm / Post ID: #

I saw a letter in the Express today, where a guy said he was asked how come a country so rich as Trinidad can be considered a Third World Country, this is some of the reasons he gave, feel free to add your own:

international QUOTE
- We have a Priority Bus Route that is traversed by more maxi-taxis and private vehicles than buses.

- Our public utilities carry out repairs in the public domain and months later traces of their presence can be seen I.e. Debris and holes in the road not resurfaced.

- We the people, throw out paper cups, bottles etc, out of our cars onto the public roads.

- We dump all sorts of discarded items in the rivers, vacannot lots of land and at the side of the public roads, etc.

- You drive for miles, sometimes in any direction, and you don't see a police officer.

- Large trucks, construction equipment, garbage trucks etc, traverse our roads at peak times, causing if not adding to the traffic jams.

- If it rains and the country floods, we blame the Government for nature's work (90 per cent) and God's doing.

- Old discarded shoes being thrown over electrical cables on the main byways.

- Politicians that preach and encourage racist attitudes on their respective (Public) platforms.

- Our people who stroll across the road, when a courteous driver gives them a chance to cross, instead of stepping briskly out of the motorists' way...

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 31st Dec, 2006 - 7:28pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Country World Third Considered Trinidad Why

In order to be considered to be Third World country or lesser-developed or developing counties there has to be criteria related to socio-economic and the human development index scale thereby displaying weakness in income, nutrition, education and literacy as wells as economic vulnerability and political corruption which is characterized by authoritarian regimes that are steeped in kleptocracy. The only thing that I could find, that hints of the developing world is the alarming rate high rate of HIV cases in relation to the overall population.

Upon reading the many posts in this forum there are concerns regarding public education, public sanitation, infrastructure, urban planning and in the political realm where politicians seek to attract people along racial lines and not the issues. The arguement can be made that the aforementioned place could be a host of countries that describe themselves as the first world. At the end of the day, Trinidad does not fit the bill. Please help me to understand why people see themselves as being inhabitants of a third world country.

Reconcile Edited: Charles R on 31st Dec, 2006 - 7:31pm

7th Jan, 2007 - 11:39pm / Post ID: #

Why Is Trinidad Considered A Third World Country? Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

I find the list in the first Post not reasons of significance, and although I could make a very long list I will just add one for now:

Their inability to have Constructive Discussion without becoming emotionally innvolved is a Third World trait. I would also add that they generally cannot Discuss a popular issue other than what the news gives them - in other words - lack of research.

If you want to show intelligence then understand that people are NOT always going to agree with you or even like you, but that is their position and your prerogative is to show that you understand that each person has agency to THINK as they please. This is why some countries have great diplomacy and reach far, because they understand this.

Post Date: 31st Jan, 2007 - 1:40am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Because we are seriously indebted.

https://www.iadb.org/countries/home.cfm?id_...anguage=English

Please say they lie. One BILLION US DOLLARS? We owe one billion US dollars!

I hope Manning's plane crashes.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please use uppercase letters as appropriate.

29th Aug, 2008 - 1:23pm / Post ID: #

Obviously in some respects, we ARE first world. You can anything in the shops here that one could buy in Europe or North America.

But in economics, first world and third world are defined by GDP per capita or the UN Human Development Index. On both measures, Trinidad is not that high. And I suppose the average Trinbagonian is not as wealthy as the average American, British, Germann or Japanese.

29th Aug, 2008 - 1:55pm / Post ID: #

QUOTE (ca1979 @ 29-Aug 08, 9:23 AM)
Obviously in some respects, we ARE first world. You can anything in the shops here that one could buy in Europe or North America.

Interesting way of measuring first world status. spock.gif

. And I suppose the average Trinbagonian is not as wealthy as the average American, British, Germann or Japanese.

Don't suppose, they are not. That's a fact. People can hardly make it now with the increase of food prices, the comparison is non-existent.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
29th Aug, 2008 - 2:00pm / Post ID: #

Why Trinidad Considered Third World Country

Well Trinidad is not first world because our standard of living is not that high in the grand scheme. And in economics, standard of living is generally defined by GDP per capita which I think for Trinidad is about 35 - 40th in the world.

30th Aug, 2008 - 5:09am / Post ID: #

Why Trinidad Considered Third World Country Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean

The biggest thing keeping us back is a lack of social services, health and basic utilities. People don't have water in certain areas, that's ridiculous.

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (7) »

> TOPIC: Why Is Trinidad Considered A Third World Country?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,