One-drop Theory

One-drop Theory - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 2nd Jul, 2011 - 11:56am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

USA Do the Whites in the US want to ensure they stay separate from the Blacks?
Post Date: 26th Dec, 2006 - 7:46pm / Post ID: #

One-drop Theory

One-drop Theory

What is your view on the One-drop Theory? I've heard that many countries have established it to ensure that the Whites do not intermix with the Blacks. If you don't think it is true - you be the judge:

Read More: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule

Sponsored Links:
27th Dec, 2006 - 6:13am / Post ID: #

Theory One-drop

First of all, I had never even heard of this until I read the title of this thread. Second, it's not just about the United States, but many countries. And third, it's more historically important than currently, in my opinion, and not merely about Black and White.

Personally, I don't think that there are that many "pure" races left on this planet. There are a few cultures that have remained largely "undiluted" but I think the majority of the different human "races" have intermingled at one time or another. At least, from my perspective here in Southern California, where we are a true "melting pot" of culture. I've seen Asian and Black, Mexican and Asian, Black and Mexican, Native American and Mexican, etc etc etc, and all of those (and probably more) mixed with Anglo/Whites.

I don't see how the One Drop Rule (or Theory) does anything to prevent intermarriage/intermingling of the races.

27th Dec, 2006 - 12:51pm / Post ID: #

One-drop Theory Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

First of all, I had never even heard of this until I read the title of this thread. Second, it's not just about the United States, but many countries. And third, it's more historically important than currently, in my opinion, and not merely about Black and White.

True, I suppose it comes from the assumption that Americans in general consider as non-whites to anyone who is not a white American or have been born in certain parts of Europe. The best example I can think of is some Hispanics or Latinos. It was the US who started consider "Hispanic or Latino" as a race and it's not. It's an ethnicity which is quite different , which means there are: whites, blacks, asians and mestizos within the ethnicity(I will update a thread I have in the Culture and Traditions board called "Hispanic, not a race?")

My experience with someAmericans and the people here for instance, is they would refer to an East Indian as "black" just because of their skin color but the person is from a total different race. Basically, anyone that in their eyes is not "white" is automatically labeled as black. There is this girl at the school I used to work, a Trinidadian blond with blue eyes, but of course a strong Caribbean accent. She was not considered "white" in the US but "Caribbean" (like if such a race even exist) Why? simply, her accent. The point is: Is it about race? Is it about skin color" Is it about the eyes of the beholder? What is about really?

Look at this page and the description of Halle Berry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interracial_m...e_United_States

"Actress Halle Berry, who is half African-American, and half English, is the daughter of an interracial couple."

Oh, are we automatically saying English people are white? What about those English people that are black?

In my opinion everything boils down to lack of exposure to other culture and countries outside the US.

I do not want to offend my US friends here, but I have seen the one-drop theory in action many times from some US citizens here and abroad.

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 27th Dec, 2006 - 1:53pm

28th Dec, 2006 - 2:17am / Post ID: #

Theory One-drop

The point is: Is it about race? Is it about skin color" Is it about the eyes of the beholder? What is about really?

Maybe it's just because I'm in Southern California, where there is such an acceptance of the mix of cultures and races and ethnicities, that I see this mix as "normal." This is just how it is here, as I see it. I don't see bigotry and prejudice on a normal, day-to-day basis. What I do see is people from all walks of life, all colors and mixtures of colors, living together in relative harmony.

Yes, I know there are those who hate secretly and poison their own children with these ideas and messages of hatred; but I don't see that publicly where I live.

On the other hand, maybe because I see the "mix" as normal, I don't see the bigotry and prejudice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interracial_m...e_United_States

"Actress Halle Berry, who is half African-American, and half English, is the daughter of an interracial couple."

Oh, are we automatically saying English people are white? What about those English people that are black?
The passage you quoted came from Wikipedia, which, while informative and an important step in the history of the Internet, is written by freelancers and other non-professionals. Just because this one writer said "English" rather than "Caucasian" or "Anglo" doesn't mean everyone thinks that way.

I think because we have so many immigrants from south of our borders that come from so many different countries, it was too difficult to designate each country - Guatamala, Nicaragua, Mexico, etc. - and it was wrong to call them all "Mexicans," the US (probably California first) started the Hispanic/Latino designation to make it easier. I don't think there is anything pejorative in that designation, it's just more convenient.

There are stupid, inconsiderate, ignorant, rude, mean, and outright vicious people from all walks of life, different cultures, races, and countries. In my opinion, I don't see the One Drop Theory (or Rule) as any kind of conspiracy to prevent inter-racial marriage.

Post Date: 2nd Jul, 2011 - 11:56am / Post ID: #

Theory One-drop

Name: Cory

Comments: Its not a theory if there are actually countries who have committed this to law.I have never before heard of this. I myself am married to someone outside my race with a mixed race child. For myself this seems more normal and cannot understand why it is not more common. I wanted to help create a more perfect race through love not hate by combining the excellent traits of different races. I do embrace my white genes and traits and wanted to keep them alive. Eventually there will only be one race of human on this planet but of course it would actually consist of probably thousands or perhaps tens of thousands of intermixed races. It is mostly religion and heritage that separates us all.

> TOPIC: One-drop Theory

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,