2006: A Deadly Year For Journalists

2006 Deadly Year Journalists - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 2nd Jan, 2007 - 4:32pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 29th Dec, 2006 - 11:58pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

A new report from the Committee to Protect Journalists found that at least 55 journalists were killed this year in direct connection to their work. The most violent country was Iraq where 32 journalists lost their lives.
Ref. https://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=06/12/29/1446225

Sponsored Links:
2nd Jan, 2007 - 4:32pm / Post ID: #

Journalists Year Deadly

I think it is tragic when anyone dies doing their job, not just journalists. However, these statistics demonstrate that working as a war correspondent can be a risky profession. I had once harboured ambitions to work as a war correspondent. It is one of the hardest areas of media work. But with a young family on the way, there is no way I would now risk my life for the sake of a job.

In the scheme of things, a lot more people die from working in mines and other professions. But what annoys me is when journalists are the targets of violence. Journalists report and often record history. They don't always get it right, but they still play a crucial role. People should not be hell bent on shooting the messenger. Unfortunately, in this profession, when a reporter is the target of violence it is often because they are doing a good job.

International Level: Negotiator / Political Participation: 453 ActivistPoliticianNegotiator 45.3%

> TOPIC: 2006: A Deadly Year For Journalists

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,