Black Mormon Women And The Temple Denial - Page 2 of 2

Name: Hal Country: Comments: Most Black Mormon - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 19th Jul, 2012 - 6:17pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 29th Aug, 2007 - 6:26pm / Post ID: #

Black Mormon Women And The Temple Denial
A Friend

Black Mormon Women And The Temple Denial - Page 2

There may have been, nonetheless they showed prejudice and ignorant statements towards Blacks (I am sure you read the quotes from early Church leaders concerning Blacks). I am not sure what equality you are speaking about, because until the 1978 declaration there was not such thing. (Feel free to "attack" the Blacks and the Priesthood thread which we discuss this in detail).

That's going to take a little while. It's a very long thread, and I'm certain the posts are pretty deliberate and substantive. But I certainly plan to.

I might surprise ya!*

*Ya is a word in the South.

Sponsored Links:
24th Nov, 2010 - 12:48am / Post ID: #

Denial Temple The Women Mormon Black

If John Taylor, a Prophet of the Church, thought that Blacks were only born to be representatives of Satan on the earth can you doubt why such denial and racism existed? The Church tries to keep these things hushed, but try to imagine being Black and in that day - truly it was the White man's Church.

22nd Jan, 2011 - 4:08pm / Post ID: #

Black Mormon Women And The Temple Denial Studies Doctrine Mormon

JB:

international QUOTE
If John Taylor, a Prophet of the Church, thought that Blacks were only born to be representatives of Satan on the earth can you doubt why such denial and racism existed?

This is one of the explanations I found:

international QUOTE
The actual quote comes from a very long discourse which adds context to your partial reference. In addition, you altered the last sentence you quoted. You put a period after the word God making it appear that President Taylor implied that the descendants of Cain (I.e., Blacks) were the Devil's representatives. However, the actual statement does not end upon the word God. The Journal of Discourses actually states:

"And after the flood we are told that the curse that had been pronounced upon Cain was continued through Ham's wife, as he had married a wife of that seed. And why did it pass through the flood? Because it was necessary that the devil should have a representation upon the earth as well as God; and that man should be a free agent to act for himself, and that all men might have the opportunity of receiving or rejecting the truth, and be governed by it or not according to their wishes and abide the result; and that those who would be able to maintain correct principles under all circumstances, might be able to associate with the Gods in the eternal worlds."

Source 8

I also read how one black lady (Jane Elizabeth Manning James) who worked for the Smiths was married with 8 children, after her husband left her family in 1869, she repeatedly asked the First Presidency to be endowed and to be sealed, along with her children, to Walker Lewis, a prominent African American Mormon Elder. Lewis, like Elijah Abel, had been ordained to the priesthood during Joseph Smith's lifetime, and Jane therefore assumed that he would be eligible for temple ordinances. However, her petitions were consistently ignored or refused.

The question is, since Walker Lewis WAS an Elder, why they refused her request of being sealed to this man?

international QUOTE
After Isaac died in 1891, Jane asked that she and her family be given the ordination of adoption so that they could be sealed in that manner. Her justification, according to her correspondence with church leaders, was that Emma Smith had offered to have her sealed to the Smith family as a child. She was now reconsidering her decision, and asked to be sealed to the Smiths.

Her request was refused. Instead, the First Presidency "decided she might be adopted into the family of Joseph Smith as a servant, which was done, a special ceremony having been prepared for the purpose.

Post Date: 19th Jul, 2012 - 6:17pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Denial Temple The Women Mormon Black

Name: Hal

Comments: Most Black Mormon women might be surprised to learn this but of course that has all changed now as the Mormon church has to keep up with the times.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Black Mormon Women And The Temple Denial

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,