The Nightmares Of Trinidad Public Hospitals

The Nightmares Trinidad Public Hospitals - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 21st Oct, 2008 - 4:04pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
13th Jan, 2007 - 12:52pm / Post ID: #

I thought in starting this thread because I read so many cases of deaths in the hands of doctors in public hospitals that you have to wonder what the heck is going on? Look at this case of this little girl. A senior anaesthetist and the entire bio-medical department of the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex have been found to be responsible for causing the death of three-year-old Faith Williams.

international QUOTE
Williams died at the EWMSC on September 16, after being admitted to the hospital on August 31 for routine hernia surgery under the Ministry of Health's Surgical Waiting List Initiative.

The summary of findings from an enquiry into her death was revealed yesterday in a one-page report presented by Chaguanas MP, Manohar Ramsaran, in Parliament, during his contribution to the Heritage and Stabilisation Fund Bill.

The report indicates that the bio-medical department had failed to remove the non-functioning and faulty halothane vaporiser from the operating theatre, and that no daily checks of anaesthetic equipment and supplies had been conducted.

Levelling several allegations against the senior anaesthetist, whose name was not mentioned in the report, it was found that the doctor had failed to complete several procedures which included:

- no pre-anaesthetic assessment of the patient was performed nor of the anaesthetic machine

- failure to establish intravenous access

- failure to connect ECG monitor to the patient

- failure to activate the gas analyzer

- failure to recognise the impending cardiac arrest of the patient

https://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/ar...ws?id=161082205

And the parent's testimony. Heartbreaking. Is this what happen when you are poor and cannot afford a private clinic? This is so traumatic.

international QUOTE
Faith was the first of 15 children scheduled for surgery on August 31, 2006, and was admitted to the hospital around 9.30 a.m.

After witnessing other children being admitted after Faith departing the hospital with their parents, Avril and Kendal said they became anxious and upon inquiring from the doctor, they were informed that Faith had been taken to the Intensive Care Unit.

Taken to a private room and left to wait for a further two hours, Kendal said they were then told Faith's heart had stopped for approximately ten minutes during the surgery, and that she had been placed on life-support at the ICU.

Kept on life-support for 16 days, Faith's parents said physical signs of deterioration during that time included her feet turning yellow; hands and body deathly cold; head swelling; unbearable stench from her rotting body emanating throughout the ward; and liquids oozing from her mouth, ears and nose.

A brain stem procedure conducted around 10 p.m. On Saturday (Sept 16), revealed that Faith was brain dead, and the life-support machine was disconnected after her parents agreed.

Sponsored Links:
24th May, 2007 - 12:48pm / Post ID: #

Hospitals Public Trinidad Nightmares The

What a terrible and sad story! Imagine seeing your son literally dying of an asthma attack and the nurses sitting down with their feet up on a chair and literally not calling a doctor to help your kid....and finally he dies.

A young mother is in mourning and the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex (EWMSC) is again being investigated-this time following the death on Monday of a six-year-old boy.

Crystal Blanc has accused Mt Hope of negligence, claiming that two nurses "stood there and did nothing" while her son, Anthony, died from an asthma attack. Blanc said a single telephone call to alert a doctor would have saved her son's life.

Mt Hope is currently being investigated for last year's death of another child, Faith Williams, and for a recent incident where a baby suffered third degree burns from a hot water bottle.

Speaking to the Express at her home on the Arima By-pass Road yesterday, Blanc insisted: "My son was denied a chance at life by those nurses."

The dead boy's twin brother, Anton, will now celebrate his birthday alone on June 2. The family is preparing to bury Anthony on Friday.

The latest saga began last Thursday, when Anthony was taken to the Arima Health Facility with severe wheezing. His mother said he had been in and out of the facility in the preceding days for the same reason.

On that visit, the 23-year-old mother was told her son was in a bad way and he was being sent to Mt Hope.

They arrived at about 6 a.m. and waited until about 1 p.m., during which time Anthony was on a Nebuliser. Blanc was then told the boy would have to stay on. In the hours that followed, Anthony had two separate attacks.

"The doctor said that he would have to go to the ICU (Intensive Care Unit), but he was told that in all of Trinidad there were no ICU beds available. The doctor said that they would have to move another child out of ICU if they had to because Anthony's case was that bad," Blanc said.

After showing signs of recovering for two days, Anthony got another attack on Saturday night. He was again treated and recovered well enough that on Sunday, Blanc was told he would be discharged on Monday.

"He was up and about," Blanc said, tears beginning to well up...

13th Jun, 2007 - 1:20am / Post ID: #

The Nightmares Of Trinidad Public Hospitals Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

A while ago we saw baby Justin (just 5 weeks old) suffering burns in a public hospital, now we are seeing another case of a baby crying in pain because her hand and collarbone were fractured during delivery as well as one of her cheeks have been burnt!

HOURS after giving birth, a 22-year-old mother woke up on a bed at the San Fernando General Hospital to find her baby's hand and collarbone fractured and the skin on his left cheek burnt.

The injuries, she was told, occurred during the birth of the child.

Rohini Ramsaroop of Debidial Road, Penal, said that she had been given an injection an hour before the birth of her child and was too weak to deliver the baby. The baby was born on June 6.

She said hospital authorities later told her that the baby boy had to be forcibly pulled from her womb, otherwise he would have died. She was not sure whether it was the forceps used in the delivery that caused the injuries.

"I don't know why I was given an injection so close to delivery. It made me sleepy and unable to push my first born child naturally," she said.

With tears in her eyes, she said: "I don't know what to do. I hope my baby is not brain damaged or maimed for life."

She said that one of the doctors told her that the baby's collarbone and left hand were fractured and the skin on the left cheek burnt.

"The doctor said that he would take care of my son before releasing him from the hospital," she said. Her greatest fear is that her child would suffer brain damage. "I have been nursing him and I have noticed him crying in pain," she said.

The baby's father, Richard Ganness, said that he had not yet seen the baby but would definitely be calling for a thorough investigation.

Lachmin Ramsaroop who has been with her daughter since she was admitted to the hospital on June 3, said that when she first saw the baby she thought nothing of the red marks on the baby's cheek.

"The marks darkened and it is plain to see that the skin was burnt and grazed," she said...

13th Jun, 2007 - 1:26am / Post ID: #

Explain to me how a baby gets burned during birth? Forceps are not hot! What a horrible experience this poor woman had - and what about the pain the baby is experiencing as his first touch of life? How terrible for all involved.

7th Dec, 2007 - 1:42pm / Post ID: #

Imagine this woman was attacked by a male patient in the San Fernando General Hospital, she is now afraid to go to the bathroom by herself.

A woman suffering with heart problems is now scared to use the toilet at Ward 10 of the San Fernando General Hospital after she was attacked by a male patient.

Anita Ganga, 47, said yesterday she left her bed to use the toilet near the ward on Tuesday at around 2 p.m. when she noticed a man following her.

She said the man, of "small build", hit her several times in the face.

Ganga, of Clarke Road, Penal, said she was traumatised by the incident.

Security guards were called in to rescue her.

"I am very, very scared. I cannot go to the toilet alone. A nurse has to come with me now," said Ganga, who is a beneficiary of social welfare. She said the man mistook her for the mother of his children.

Ganga said while hitting her he kept saying: "You're the mother of my three children. You're the mother of my three children....

4th Mar, 2008 - 6:49pm / Post ID: #

This is absolutely disturbing! See what I mean when I say this government has all the priorities mixed up! angry.gif

Stillborn babies hacked open

THE bodies of stillborn babies are reportedly being hacked open with crude and ineffective hacksaws because of non-functional power saws in the mortuary of the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex, Mt Hope.

Hospital sources said yesterday that morticians had to use hacksaws, since the two power saws belonging to the department broke down early last week.

And the problem, sources identified, reportedly stemmed from faulty bolts.

A spokesman said autopsies were to be conducted on the bodies of five still-born babies at the hospital and 15 adults who died at other public medical institutions along the East/West Corridor.

Those 20 autopsies were expected to be conducted last Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, sources said.

But grieving families-awaiting the results-became enraged after being turned away from the hospital, sources said. They said when told of the non-functioning power saws, families of the dead demanded answers.

Describing the hacksaws as "grossly backward equipment," sources said this particular tool had led to morticians experiencing a "highly uncomfortable feeling.

"It's very taxing for someone to perform an autopsy, especially on an infant, using this piece of crude equipment.

"Is this vision 2020? What have we come to? Have we lost all respect for the dead?" the angry sources asked.

They said after the post-mortems, the bodies of some of the babies would be returned to their parents.

Others, however, too poor to bury their babies, left the death certificates at the mortuary for the hospital authorities to dispose of the bodies. ...

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
18th Oct, 2008 - 12:10pm / Post ID: #

The Nightmares Trinidad Public Hospitals

Imagine taking your toddler for a routine surgery and then finding out that's the last time you will ever see her...yes, this is the nightmare of a public hospital.

HOSPITAL authorities have launched an investigation into the death of a three-year-old girl, who died hours after a routine surgery on her throat.

Tehira George, who was born with bronchiolitis, an inflammation of the bronchioles, which are the smallest air passages in the lungs, had a tracheostomy inserted in her neck. to open a direct airway in the trachea (windpipe). when she was only four months old to help her breathe.

George died on Thursday at the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex, Mt Hope, and doctors there are anxiously awaiting an autopsy before disclosing the child's cause of death.

But her parents, Tricia Gonsalves and Kevin George, 32, are claiming negligence on the part of hospital authorities for the loss of their second child.

Gonsalves said she alerted nurses that her daughter had trouble breathing but nothing was done. She said when blood started coming out of a tube inserted in her neck, nurses again ignored her pleas for help.

"The hardest thing to deal with is losing your child, especially when every bone in your body tells you that they should still be alive," Gonsalves said.

The mother said after three years of treatment, her daughter went into the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex last Wednesday to remove the tube. But somehow, following what was supposed to be a routine surgery, her parents were forced to say good-bye.

Speaking to the Express yesterday, Gonsalves, 31, said her daughter could not breathe properly the morning after the surgery, and she began to make a wheezing sound....

21st Oct, 2008 - 4:04pm / Post ID: #

The Nightmares Trinidad Public Hospitals Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean

Public hospitals are usually a last resort but in T&T and other 3rd world nations, it seems that they lack even the basic principles of oversight and ethics regarding the rights of patients. Depending on the population (disease state category), the appropriate personnel should be present and some type of safety protocol is present along with IDtags to indicate if that person should be there, OR, they are challenged. For example, if you find the maintenance person in the middle of a women's ward and his wife is not there, then that is a red flag to ask the person where he is going and if he needs help in finding something!

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: The Nightmares Of Trinidad Public Hospitals

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,