Jordan

Jordan - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 24th Jan, 2011 - 10:07pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Peaceful Nuclear Program?
Post Date: 20th Jan, 2007 - 12:38pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Jordan

JORDAN WANTS PEACEFUL NUCLEAR PROGRAM: KING ABDULLAH

Jordan is pursuing plans to develop a nuclear program for peaceful purposes, King Abdullah told an Israeli newspaper.
Ref. https://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/200...an-nuclear.html

Sponsored Links:
22nd Jan, 2007 - 11:36pm / Post ID: #

Jordan

I am all in favor of anyone developing nuclear power for peaceful purposes. I am just not sure how easy it is to verify that they aren't developing nuclear weapons using the same technology.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

23rd Jan, 2007 - 8:59am / Post ID: #

Jordan History & Civil Business Politics

The UN or the "World Community" cannot stop countries from developing nuclear technology. Now, there can be a concerted effort to make obtaining the technology and materials very difficult for anyone wanting to join our nuclear family. Perhaps there can be some perks for those that truly show a desire to develop a peaceful nuclear program (there probably are already).

With more and more countries wanting to go nuclear, I have thought about the consequences. Probably because I am a engineer, I see the statistical side of the story. If there are more nukes, there is a higher probability that one of them will be used and not in a testing procedure. I also see their deterring factor against aggression diminishing if everyone has a nuke. Again, this means that if they aren't used as a deterent, then they are more likely to get used. However, there is no way that 5 countries that have nuclear weapons can be allowed to tell all others what weapons they can or cannot use to defend their countries. There is no way that we can now tell Japan that they shouldn't protect themselves against N. Korea.

I applaud any country that truly wants to develop nuclear technology purely for energy generation. It makes sense (although we really will need to figure out what to do with the waste from so many reactors...we are still giving this part of the equation a wave at best). So, Good luck Jordan. Hopefully, the discounted energy is worth all the attention in the long run. If you happen to build a bomb by accident along the way, I am sure no one will be too surprised.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

23rd Jan, 2007 - 10:25am / Post ID: #

Jordan

Nighthawk, I am all in favor of anyone developing nuclear power for peaceful purposes. I am just not sure how easy it is to verify that they aren't developing nuclear weapons using the same technology.

That's a touch hypocritical. Are you in favour of Israel creating nuclear weapons? What about the USA?

I think countries should be encouraged to generate nuclear power. It is clearly a better alternative to heavy polluting coal.

However, it's a bit rich for countries who produce more nuclear weapons every year than rest of the world combined to turn around and complain when others want such weapons.

I think all nuclear armed countreis should lead by example and destroy their arsenals. That would send a much stronger message to the international community than demonising every potential "enemy" whenever there is evidence they want to produce nuclear power. Even though Jordan would not be perceived as an enemy in this instance, Iran certainly would.

International Level: Negotiator / Political Participation: 453 ActivistPoliticianNegotiator 45.3%

Post Date: 21st Feb, 2010 - 11:13pm / Post ID: #

Jordan

France to aid Jordan in realizing 'nuclear ambitions'

Visiting French Prime Minister Francois Fillon said Sunday his country will help Jordan realize its nuclear ambitions with the signing of an agreement Sunday to mine its uranium reserves. Ref. Source 1

Post Date: 24th Jan, 2011 - 10:07pm / Post ID: #

Jordan

Wikileaks: Jordan offered increased support in Afghanistan in exchange for econ aid :

A secret cable sent by U.S. Ambassador in Amman, Stephen Beecroft, to Washington earlier last year revealed that Jordanian government and military officials offered Washington a bundle of support measures in Afghanistan, including increasing the number of Jordanian troops there and sending fighter jets to participate in special missions. Ref. Source 6

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: Jordan

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,