The Spirit Of God

The Spirit God - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 9th Mar, 2010 - 8:23pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Hymn #2
Post Date: 29th Jan, 2007 - 1:31pm / Post ID: #

The Spirit Of God

The Spirit of God

This Thread is reserved for this Hymn, it's history and your own feelings about it.

Sponsored Links:
30th Jan, 2007 - 3:02am / Post ID: #

God Spirit The

I have heard stories about the origins of this hymn, but I am not really sure about them.

I believe it was written by William W. Phelps for the dedication of the Kirtland Temple. But I am not going to go research it right now.

Whatever, I think it is sung at all Temple dedications now. At least it has been at the 3 I have attended.

This is one of my top 5 favorite hymns.

30th Jan, 2007 - 10:37pm / Post ID: #

The Spirit Of God Studies Doctrine Mormon

I don't know the history of this hymn, but I love it. It's sends chills down my back, and I feel the truth and inspiration of the lyrics. The knowledge and power of God is filling the whole earth, and the Spirit of God is burning bright for those who seek it.

30th Mar, 2007 - 4:02pm / Post ID: #

God Spirit The

I believe you are right. The hymn was written and sung at the Kirtland dedication. It has been changed since the original wording. In the original ( or in any hymnal before 1900) there was an additional verse that talks about getting our washing and annointings. This verse was omitted but not sure why.

Post Date: 9th Mar, 2010 - 8:23pm / Post ID: #

God Spirit The

022: "The Spirit of God"

Episode 22: The history behind "The Spirit of God": This hymn goes back to the early foundations of the Church and is richly entwined with the history of the Restoration. William W. Phelps wrote "The Spirit of God." He was born in 1792, and just three days after the organization of the Church, he purchased a copy of the Book of Mormon from Parley P. Pratt. He was later baptized, ordained to the high priesthood by the Prophet, and put his exceptional gifts to use for the sake of the kingdom of God.
See and hear: Source 8

> TOPIC: The Spirit Of God

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,