Mormon Gossip - How to stop Gossip in Church

Mormon Gossip Stop Gossip Church - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 26th Oct, 2003 - 8:44pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
3rd Jul, 2003 - 8:37pm / Post ID: #

international QUOTE
Proverbs 26:20 Where no wood is, there the fire goeth out: so where there is no talebearer, the strife ceaseth.

Can gossip really be stopped? Yes, you can add here many scriptures, etc... But let us take a specific situation and say how you would deal with it.

Situation:

You are the Bishop of a ward where the members gossip a lot. Everyone portrays a good heart in their words and deeds, but yet still the Bishop knows from certain valid sources that a lot of 'news' is always being carried. How would you go about stopping it?

Sponsored Links:
17th Sep, 2003 - 10:52am / Post ID: #

Church Gossip stop to - Gossip Mormon

This is a tough question, and there is no simple answer.

I recall a ward years ago where we were scolded from the pulpit by the bishop and then by the stake president for gossiping.  It didn't stop anything.

Some people just gossip.

I would start a false rumor.  And then by the behavior of some, would know where to pinpoint a big part of the problem -- and then counsel prayerfully, specifically with those members.  That might solve the problem, or sadly cause those to become "disgruntled."  

It's a very sensitive thing.  How do you lovingly scold an adult, for something that may be a personality trait?  How can you encourage someone like that to change (i.e. grow in the gospel) without having them get their feelings hurt and leave the church?

I don't have a good solution.

Roz

21st Sep, 2003 - 7:28pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Gossip - How to stop Gossip in Church Studies Doctrine Mormon

Some people just gossip

Yes, and it is amazing how they rationalize it too.

30th Sep, 2003 - 4:17pm / Post ID: #

Rather than scold someone, perhaps it would be best served as a topic for Sacrament meeting?  Not as a topic from the Bishopric, but rather assigned speakers.  I believe the Bishopric could prayerfully select the proper individuals to give the talks.  The Spirit might select those who gossip or just those who will best prepare a talk to touch the hearts of those listening.  Then perhaps later in the month or the next month during a month that has 5 weeks, the topic for the combined Priesthood/Relief Society class could also be about this topic.  

If this is a real problem in a particular Ward then it should be addressed regularly for a while.  I believe most members will eventually make an honest effort to change bad behavior.  Sometimes though it takes more than one try.  

I think gossip, which seems to be a big part of human nature (born of curiousity usually not with harmful intent) is something that might take more than one talk for people to really see the harm it does and see that they are a part of the problem.  Then, maybe they will want to be a part of the solution as well. smile.gif

1st Oct, 2003 - 12:25am / Post ID: #

Rather than scold someone, perhaps it would be best served as a topic for Sacrament meeting?  Not as a topic from the Bishopric, but rather assigned speakers.  I believe the Bishopric could prayerfully select the proper individuals to give the talks.  The Spirit might select those who gossip or just those who will best prepare a talk to touch the hearts of those listening.  Then perhaps later in the month or the next month during a month that has 5 weeks, the topic for the combined Priesthood/Relief Society class could also be about this topic.  

Not trying to be mean but where I'm living at the present, this is like a dream...:smile.gif The attitute of most of them is 'whatever'...what can I say...*sigh*

1st Oct, 2003 - 11:19am / Post ID: #

Not trying to be mean but where I'm living at the present, this is like a dream...:smile.gif The attitute of most of them is 'whatever'...what can I say...*sigh*

I know what you mean LDS, but I doubt THOSE people will be reached by scolding either.  (I think, they are beyond reach until they see themselves in a more honest light.)  

I still believe that those who are making an honest effort will respond best with positive reenforcement rather than force.  Unfortunately, many people are just content to go through life without really making an attempt to better themselves.  They miss out on so much good in the world because their lack of real effort prevents Heavenly Father with blessing them as fully as he would like.  

But, there are still some (and probably even in your branch wink.gif ) that remain teachable.  

Think of the new convert who comes to a ward or branch and is exposed to all this gossip, at first they dont' see anything wrong with it because all the "stalwart" members do it.  Then a few talks are given about how hurtful it can be... maybe, just maybe, that new convert is touched and makes a change in their life.  Maybe not, but we never know who we touch when we stand up for what we believe whether it be through a talk in sacrament meeting or by refusing to pass along the gossip and maybe in a gentle manner telling the "gossipee" why we don't want to be a party to future gossip.

Just my ramblings.  I am probably guilty of this myself at times.  Although I am not one to participate in gossip that I think is negative about an individual, I may not be as strong as I should be about telling the person passing the gossip to me that I don't want to be involved in it.  I am going to make that a new goal starting right now! 8)

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
1st Oct, 2003 - 3:31pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Gossip - to stop Gossip Church

I know what you mean LDS, but I doubt THOSE people will be reached by scolding either.

True, they will reach when they fully convert to the Gospel of JesusChrist. Let me add that I'm included, I'm not perfect.

Unfortunately, many people are just content to go through life without really making an attempt to better themselves.

We have that hugeeeee problem here!!!!!

26th Oct, 2003 - 8:44pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Gossip - to stop Gossip Church Mormon Doctrine Studies

Today we had a major change in the District, but what was amazing is how many knew about it before it happened!

What is more amazing is how people make all kinds of interpretations for why certain things happen. Gossip can be such a terrible thing.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Mormon Gossip - How to stop Gossip in Church

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,