Long Bow: How To Make - Page 3 of 5

That's cool dude I wish my dad created - Page 3 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 11th Aug, 2010 - 1:27pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
I started by taping the chopping axe in with a 5lb sludge. Once it was in 4" or so I pulled it out and replaced it with a 5lb splitting maul. using the sledge I drove it down the centre grain of the tree. Read More
12th Nov, 2009 - 12:36pm / Post ID: #

Long Bow: How To Make - Page 3

Several thing can cause that to occur from what I understand. Existing stress cracks in the wood, getting a cross grain, flexing the bow too far too soon, firing the bow empty.

If any one knows more reasons please do post them.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 21st Nov, 2009 - 9:47pm / Post ID: #

Make To Bow Long

Name: Alfawolf

Comments: maybe the wood wasn't dry enough. I heard that you need to dry the for a few months before you make the bow.

25th Nov, 2009 - 8:40pm / Post ID: #

Long Bow: How To Make History & Civil Business Politics

That is a possibility as it was spring when I cut them, trying to recall if I left them for the 8 weeks I think; split and in rough stock. Perhaps a full winter would be better. I do have one piece left unfinished in a warm spot. I just hope to get time before it is too dry.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

4th Dec, 2009 - 2:51am / Post ID: #

Page 3 Make To Bow Long

How would bamboo do as a bow? Of course its pliable but wondering if its strong enough to make a difference when its strung.

Reconcile Edited: rpgpundit on 4th Dec, 2009 - 2:51am

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 21 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 2.1%

4th Dec, 2009 - 12:51pm / Post ID: #

Make To Bow Long

Not real sure on that as you really are looking for hardwood so that it keeps its strength when you thin out the ends. Soft woods tend to be too springy with no snap. The "Cast" comes from the snap when the string hits the bow and the bow is returned to the neutral position.

It might work if you make the version the army used to teach where you take a heavy shaft for the mid part where you hang on to it. The put bamboo at the ends where the flexibility is required. Due to its grain It might work as it would have low memory I think when you bend it. That allows the bow to go back to the original resting position.

It would be more like the composite bow rather the a long bow.

10th Aug, 2010 - 8:31pm / Post ID: #

Long Bow: How To Make

Dude did you like ever finishing making that bow or what? I like the composite ones they have now saves all the wood shaving.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 18 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 1.8%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
11th Aug, 2010 - 1:20pm / Post ID: #

Long Bow To Make - Page 3

I finished 4 in total. One broke, one cracked and the two small one for the boys were good. I think it is because I quarter the tree instead of halving it. Might have had more consistent grain in a halve piece.

Reconcile Edited: krakyn on 11th Aug, 2010 - 1:22pm

11th Aug, 2010 - 1:27pm / Post ID: #

Long Bow To Make Politics Business Civil & History - Page 3

That's cool dude I wish my dad created a bow for me. You got any pics to share I want to see how it finally came out.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 18 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 1.8%

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Long Bow: How To Make

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,