Catholic Marriage Annulment

Catholic Marriage Annulment - Studies of Catholicism - Posted: 6th Feb, 2007 - 2:30am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Marriage & Divorce in the Roman Catholic Church
Post Date: 5th Feb, 2007 - 12:10pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Marriage Annulment

An annulment in the Roman Catholic Church is an official ruling that a marriage was never valid, that it effectively never existed.
Ref. Source

Sponsored Links:
6th Feb, 2007 - 12:22am / Post ID: #

Annulment Marriage Catholic

Some of those reasons can be brought up in any religion, but what I do not understand is... how can you make something so that it never existed?

6th Feb, 2007 - 12:39am / Post ID: #

Catholic Marriage Annulment Catholicism Studies

Basically, the Catholic Church is saying that the contract between the man and woman was not valid and therefore was not a binding contract to put it into today's words. I am sure that some of the allowable reasons for annulments were far different from what is being tried today and that is what Pope Bennedict is trying to remind the courts in granting annulments. I think the part that becomes interesting is if the annulment is granted. Depending on the reason for annulment, what was that time of psuedo-marriage called...sin? Fortunately, annulments are not the easiest thing in the world to get. Unfortunately, at least it used to be, donations made them easier to find.

6th Feb, 2007 - 12:58am / Post ID: #

international QUOTE (Vincenzo)
Basically, the Catholic Church is saying that the contract between the man and woman was not valid...

In that case, wouldn't that mean that the priest that married them was also performing an invalid ceremony - the same to which he most likely called down God's blessings on the individuals now made one? I still do not get the point. Moses in the end gave a bill of divorcement to the people of the time when they pressured him... Why not just do the same and used that nasty word 'divorced' rather than try to bend time by saying it never existed.

6th Feb, 2007 - 1:30am / Post ID: #

In the Catholic Church, prior to marriage, you go through instructional teaching if you want a Catholic recognized wedding. It is at this time the priest will get to know the 2 to be married and will instruct them on the meaning of marriage. He is actually allowed to refuse them marriage. If you read the reasons for annulment, can the priest know that these elements exists during the time of instruction? Probably not.

The Catholic Church has taken marriage very seriously. IMO, as you say "Moses was pressured" And I think the Catholic Church does not want to be pressured to excuse marriages easily and would prefer for it to be a difficult hurdle to get over. Again, IMO, the Catholic Churches have allowed the government to get pressured into giving away divorces easily (All it takes now is cash), but they will only grant annulments under certain conditions. The overwhelming majority of divorces in the US are over "Irreconcilable differences". Notice that that is not a allowable annulment basis as outlined by the church.

Semantics? Maybe...

6th Feb, 2007 - 1:54am / Post ID: #

I noticed you are Catholic - if it came to the point that you had to divorce your wife (Heaven forbid), and went before the church and you succeed and they use the terminology "It never existed" - how would you feel about those good times in the marriage?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
6th Feb, 2007 - 2:18am / Post ID: #

Ahhh...for me it would be easy. The marriage was never blessed in the Church's eyes to begin with, as I never asked for a Church sanctioned wedding. My wife is Buddhist. So the day we said "I do" In Salzburg, Austria, it already never existed in the Church's eyes.

So, you are probably now left with the question of how do I feel already knowing it never existed? Honestly, I have no problem with it. There were marriages before there was a Catholic Church. Were they not yet acceptable to God? Are other religions marriages acceptable? Well, if the Jews are truly the chosen ones, then I expect their marriages to be acceptable to God. Personally, I differ with the Church on what happens to non-believers in the after-life. I do think that Buddha is a lot closer to God in the afterlife than most will ever get. Are his teachings contrary to that of Jesus? Nope...the ten commandments are still standing. I actually believe that our children will get a benefit from seeing two very different religions with similar messages.

Again, the use of an annulment in the Catholic Church is really a statement that you asked the Church to grant you a wedding and now you are asking them to disolve the marriage. It is their rules and they believe there are only a few acceptable reasons to grant that request...just as there were only a few acceptable reasons you should have gotten married (The instructions).

6th Feb, 2007 - 2:30am / Post ID: #

Catholic Marriage Annulment Studies Catholicism

Thanks for correcting my assumption, but it is good that you added that extra bit to save me bringing in another question. I decided to google this Topic and I am amazed how much information there is to try and help people get an Annulment... this seems to be a big issue in the Catholic church.

This site helps you find the grounds that will be needed to get an Annulment or in other words what will work what will not work:
https://landru.I-link-2.net/shnyves/grounds_annul.htm

Here is a good one:

Error of person (Canon 1097, sec. 1)

You or your spouse intended to marry a specific individual who was not the individual with whom marriage was celebrated. (For example, mail order brides; otherwise, this rarely occurs in the United States.)

Here is a 101 rundown: https://frpat.com/annulments.htm

And the best for last, here is one for you Vincenzo:

Why do I need one if I'm not Catholic?

If you are not Catholic and you are planning on marrying a Catholic, then you may be asked to go through the annulment process. This may seem odd, given that both people from the first union are not Catholic and it doesn't make sense that the Catholic Church should investigate this marriage.

The Catholic Church recognizes, as a valid marriage, any marriage between two people who were free to marry (no previous marriages between them). Basically, if the non-Catholic church of either party recognized the marriage as valid, so does the Catholic Church, and since marriage, as God created it, is permanent, then these marriages also need to be investigated.

And, anyone who is wanting to marry a Catholic, has to "play by our rules," so to speak, since the Catholic whom they are marrying must abide by these laws of the Church.

The Catholic Church believes that the teachings on what marriage is binds all people whether they are Catholic or not, given that it is part of God's Divine Law.
Ref. https://www.ultimatewedding.com/articles/ge...e&articleid=571

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Catholic Marriage Annulment

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,