Hair Styling Tips

Hair Styling Tips - Movies, Music, Fashion, Sports - Posted: 13th Sep, 2003 - 11:10pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Post Date: 25th Aug, 2003 - 4:49pm / Post ID: #

Hair Styling Tips
A Friend

Hair Styling Tips

I was reading on Ladies Home Journal about tips to achieving that salon style sleek hair.  I thought that I would share these hair tips for Blowout Sleek Hair and other tips as I find them.  ;)

Sleek Hair

Perfectly smooth, straight hair can seem impossible to achieve if your locks are naturally wavy or curly. To go totally sleek, try these tips:

1. Begin with freshly-washed hair. This is especially important if you want your blowout to last for several days.

2. Condition well. The heat of the blow dryer and the tugging of the brush can damage hair; protect your locks by using a rich conditioner after you shampoo.

3. Blot hair dry. Rubbing your hair will produce frizz. Instead, blot it with a towel to remove excess moisture.

4. Pick the right styling product. If your hair is wavy, try a strong-hold gel. For curls, pick a straightening balm.

5. Apply styling product in sections. One key to a great blowout: Coat every strand of hair with product. Working in small sections, apply your product to the ends first, and then work your way up the hair shaft. Finish by combing through your hair to distribute the product.

6. Blast it with a blow dryer. It is easier to get hair smooth when you start styling it when it's near-dry. Before you start straightening, flip your head over and blowdry it while fluffing hair with your fingers.

7. Break out the clips. Have two or three large hair clips on hand to hold sections of hair away from the piece you're drying.

8. Dry hair in sections. Separate a two-inch section of hair. Using a medium-sized round brush, pull the hair taut, from roots to ends. As you move the brush, follow it with the dryer (so you're moving the dryer down the length of your hair, too). Repeat all over your head. And be patient: It will take a while.

9. Point the nozzle downward as you straighten. This is the best way to avoid frizz!

10. Cut post-blowout fuzz with cream. You're bound to face a little frizz when you're done. Apply a tiny dab of hair cream to frizzy sections to make them sleek again.

Sponsored Links:
26th Aug, 2003 - 2:34am / Post ID: #

Tips Styling Hair

Wow, those are great hair styles tips Mss! I'm looking forward to try some of them but because of my hair is so long (almost to my waist line!) it will take forever to try it to make it so straight. I look forward in getting some extra cash and make some real changes on my hair. I will definitely cut it until around my shoulders or a bit shorter and I will make it darker again but I'm not sure about the color yet wink.gif thanks again for those tips.

Post Date: 26th Aug, 2003 - 2:59am / Post ID: #

Hair Styling Tips
A Friend

Hair Styling Tips Sports & Fashion Music Movies

You're welcome, LDS.  :)  I also posted a link in the thread 'the long and short of it' about ideas for hair lengths.  I thought it was pretty cool.  I am hoping to keep adding to this thread with more tips as I run across them.  ;)

Post Date: 26th Aug, 2003 - 8:17pm / Post ID: #

Hair Styling Tips
A Friend

Tips Styling Hair

Ok, I found some more tips.  This was about help with fine hair.  I also found these tips on Ladies Home Journal online.

Help for Fine Hair
Easy ways to add life to limp hair.

Fine-Hair Dos and Don'ts

Big, bodacious, full-of-oomph hair seems like an impossible dream to the legions of straight- and fine-haired women. The curl-challenged know all too well the reality of limp, difficult-to-style locks. But I don't believe that fine hair has limited styling options.

When it comes to cutting and styling fine hair, I suggest seeking out a great stylist. Fine, straight hair shows every scissor mark, so precision is key. Here are the Dos and Don'ts that we follow at my salon:

Dos
Explore styles beyond the blunt cut. Layers and short dos are an option, but it depends on the cut.

Consider hair color and highlights. Color processes plump up the hair shaft, making hair appear thicker and fuller.

Opt for a shorter, heavier bang. They perform well on straight, fine hair and give the illusion of thicker hair.

Reconsider today's modernized perms. They add volume and shine without the crazy curls of perms past.

Don'ts
Let fine hair be razor-cut. This can take away precious volume.

View color and highlights as the only solution -- fine hair can be too fragile for frequent highlights. Dark hair color can make the scalp seem more visible.

Wear hair too long -- or it will look straggly. The shorter the hair, the thicker and fuller it will appear.

Perm color-processed or chemically treated hair. The combination can be downright lethal for locks.

Styling Fine Hair

In addition to a top stylist, fine hair's best ally is the careful selection and application of styling products. I suggest:

Exfoliating and massaging the scalp to increase circulation and release the tension which can restrict blood flow to hair follicles, making them weak and skimpy. A scalp massage can be done both in and out of the shower.

Shampoo with a volumizing shampoo. Conditioner should be used sparingly on the ends of the hair, never the scalp (in fact, I believe that processed hair is the only fine hair type that needs conditioner at all).

Before styling, direct a volumizing spray at just the hair's roots. This will help create a fuller look.

https://msnwomen.lhj.com/lhj/story.jhtml?st...ne_08022002.xml

These tips are from a hairstylist named:  Mark Garrison who owns and operates a salon in New York City.

Post Date: 1st Sep, 2003 - 3:09am / Post ID: #

Hair Styling Tips
A Friend

Tips Styling Hair

While searching for more hair styling tips, I also ran across this on the Ladies Home Journal.com.  If anyone out there has limp hair, this might help.  ;)

If your hair seems to lie lank and lifeless, try these tricks for bounce:

10 Tips: Get Voluminous Hair
Easy ways to give your hair body and lift.

Full of Bounce

1. Switch to a lighter conditioner. Heavy conditioners coat the hair shaft and weigh it down. Go for a lighter formulation, and use it daily.

2. Clarify once a week. Clarifying shampoos strip away the product buildup that can hinder volume.

3. Apply conditioner the right way. You don't need to condition your scalp. Just apply conditioner to the ends of your hair.

4. Dry upside down. Stylists love this trick: Simply flip your head over before you blow-dry.

5. Make sure the roots are dry. Volume starts at the roots, so lock in some lift by drying them first. You can allow ends to air-dry if you like.

6. Choose products wisely. Moisturizing products like pomades and shine serums contain heavy ingredients that weigh hair down. If you must use them, apply them just to the ends of your hair.

7. Layer hair (but not too short!). Long layers add bounce to hair without the choppy look that very short layers give most cuts.

8. Apply volumizer in sections. Spritzing a volume tonic all over your hair won't give the best results. Instead, use your fingers or a comb to separate small sections of hair; spritz the roots with volumizer, then move on to another section. This way, every strand is covered.

9. Make your hair stand on end. With a brush, that is, while you blow-dry. Use a paddle brush to pull the hair at the crown of your head straight up. Dry roots thoroughly.

10. Go light on hairspray. Many women think it will help lock in lift, but if you apply too much, it can cause your style to droop. Apply a light mist to dry roots only.

I hope this helps everyone that is looking for the extra volume in their hair.  I also dropped the link, in case you wanted to search their site for more hair styling tips.  There were other good ones as well.  :)

https://www.lhj.com/lhj/story.jhtml?storyid...tref=cat1530016

Post Date: 9th Sep, 2003 - 3:12pm / Post ID: #

Hair Styling Tips
A Friend

Hair Styling Tips

LDS, with your new short hair cut, I thought I would find some styling tips for short hair.  ;)

Short and Sweet

Think cropped locks can't look feminine and gorgeous? These 10 tips will prove you wrong!

1. Be meticulous about trims. Get your locks snipped every four to six weeks to keep your hair's shape.

2. Wash daily. Natural scalp oils accumulate more noticeably on short hair than on longer hair. Suds up every day to avoid the greasies.

3. Condition sparingly. If your hair is very dry, dab conditioner just on the ends. Getting it on the scalp can cause hair to look greasy. If your hair isn't dry, skip conditioner altogether.

4. Go for volume. If your hair is fine, spritz a volumizer onto the roots of damp hair before blowdrying.

5. Try texturizing products. Waxes and pastes give short hair a chunky, modern look. Apply sparingly to dry hair.

6. Keep edges soft. Short cuts look best when they are tapered and soft, so ask your stylist to avoid blunt lines.

7. Avoid long bouts with a blowdryer. Too much heat can damage hair, making it dull and fuzzy. For short hair, that means disaster! Blowdry until hair is slightly damp, then let it air-dry the rest of the way.

8. Experiment with color. Short cuts can handle bold color that longer styles can't. Consult with your colorist about trying a bright red color, chunky blonde highlights, or a rich chocolate shade.

9. Think high shine. Ultra-shiny short hair looks sexiest. Use a shine spray or cream on dry hair to boost gleam.

10. Stock up on accessories. They're not just for long hair. Headbands, wraps, and small barrettes look great in cropped cuts, too.

I hope everyone finds these tips helpful.  :)

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
9th Sep, 2003 - 4:08pm / Post ID: #

Hair Styling Tips

Those are great tips! smile.gif

I just love my new haircut, I watch it in the mirror every 5 minutes.

Post Date: 13th Sep, 2003 - 11:10pm / Post ID: #

Hair Styling Tips
A Friend

Hair Styling Tips Movies Music Fashion & Sports

I get this tips in my email.  The author of these tips is Mark Garrison a famous hair stylist in New York.

Bad Hair Days?  Humidity is a hairstyle's worst enemy -- here's how to fight back.

The Frizz/Flop Factor

The weather forecast: Hot, humid, chance of rain...in other words, catastrophic hair conditions. Be it curly or straight, thick or thin, humid weather has a stormy effect on all hair types.

Heat and humidity have a "truth serum" effect on hair which makes it hard to maintain a style in certain weather conditions. Whatever your hair's natural texture and tendencies, it will reveal itself in balmy weather. This is the result of the moisture in the air coming in contact with hair's hydrogen bonds -- the bonds which hold curly hair smooth when blown straight, and straight hair curly when set.

Hot Tips to Beat the Heat

When it comes to achieving good hair on bad days, my tactic is "Don't fight it." Going with hair's natural texture is the best strategy. By using styling aids that not only help manage unruly locks but also condition hair, a traditional "bad hair day" can be transformed into a luxurious spa treatment for the hair. Try:

Use a clarifying shampoo or rinse (try diluted apple cider vinegar -- 4 oz. to one quart of water) to dissolve any buildup on hair and scalp which could repel moisture and block its nourishing effects.

Apply to wet hair a mixture of leave-in conditioner and a gel (try a mixture of ¾ part gel to 1 part conditioner). Test mixture first to be sure the conditioner and gel dissolve into each other and do not bead. Do a test strand to make sure it doesn't flake after drying. Either finger-set curls into place, or smooth hair back into a braid or bun.

Dry hair can be saturated with a conditioning essential oil, for a super-spa hair day (try Philip B. Rejuvenating Oil). Oil should be applied to dry hair and combed through with a fine-tooth comb. Essential oils can be left in hair for as little as 20 minutes or as long as 24 hours for an intensive conditioning treatment. Once oil is applied to hair, pull hair back into a bun for a sleek look.

Weather Warriors: Styling Aids That Save the Day

Here's how the most widely used styling aids weather the elements:

Pomade -- Combats dry, frizzy, fluffy hair by providing weight. Apply to dry hair. Pomade is designed for all hair types. It's available in different consistencies; use a stiffer formula on fine hair, a creamier one for coarse hair.

Gel -- Repels moisture and is ideal for slicking hair back, braids, and for curly hair. Apply to wet hair. Do a test run to make sure the product you choose does not flake. Mix with a styling cream or pomade to soften the texture and avoid a hard hold.

Silicone Spray -- Like gel, it repels moisture. It also provides a shield and shine for all hair types. Apply to dry hair. Avoid applying to roots on thin, fine hair. Apply and comb through curly hair before natural styling, then reapply after hair is dry.

Mousse -- Mousse holds moisture for curly styles, and helps set straight hair. Apply it to wet hair.

Cream -- It holds in moisture and is ideal for creating a textured look of separated pieces. Cream typically doubles as a styling product and leave-in conditioner. Use sparingly. Start on the ends of hair then work up the hair shaft, unless hair is very dry and thick.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Hair Styling Tips

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,