This Thread has been started to share Tips on how to secure yourself and / or others so as to prevent crime.
Some things to consider:
1. How to secure your home.
2. How do you know if you are being followed?
3. Should you fight back if attacked?
4. Emergency numbers / contact.
5. Value of self-defense classes.
I have compiled some security tips in general, when faced with a dangerous situation:
1) If you are overpowered by a man, ladies should attempt to gouge the assailant's eyes out, kick the assailant in the groin area or cuff his Adam's apple. These are considered the most sensitive areas and he may release you involuntarily.
2) If a robber demands for your wallet or jewellry, never hand it to him! Throw the items as far as you can and run in the opposite direction. The chances are, he may be more interested in the valuables.
3) Before walking to your car in a parking lot, always be vigilant of your surroundings: are you alone or is someone following you? If you are alone, find someone to escort you to your car. Also:
A) Examine your car carefully by peering inside: the passenger's side and the back seat.
B) If you are parked next to a van or another vehicle, enter your car from the passenger's side. Most serial killers/kidnappers attack their victims by dragging them to their vans.
C) If you notice a male sitting in his car next to yours, walk away! Find someone to escort you to your car.
4) Women sometimes enter their cars and may choose to eat, examine their purchases or balance their checkbooks. Please do not do this! Someone may be watching and may see this as the perfect opportunity to kidnap you! Enter your car, lock all doors and leave.
5) Never take the stairs at night. Always use the elevator! Stairs are usually the hiding spot for predators.
6) If the assailant points a gun at you, try not to freeze. Run away in the opposite direction in a zig zag pattern.
7) Women are socialized to be the caretakers in the society. Please be vigilant of strangers! Remember Theodore Bundy was very handsome, charming and always preying on women's sympathy. As callous as this may sound, do not assist anyone especially when you are alone! The assailant may lure you to a lonely area where no one can hear you scream.
8) If you are home alone and you hear a strange noise, do not go outside to investigate. Call a friend to come over or contact the police if you think it is a burglar.
One question. Are these tips those that the police or any other professional agency would suggest?
For your home, join, or even start up a nationhood watch type program, they have numerous suggestions of what to do to help you be safe, as a community, if your house is by it self, then ask if someone would go over, even if you have to pay. Also check to see if anyone has a criminal record that lives near you, this may be public record yet most times public records aren't as public as they seem, since you have to go to the police to get them.
At work, DEMAND a well lit parking lot. Women should not go out to their car alone. If at all possible, park your car as close to the door as possible.
Best thing you can do is develop streetwise skills. That comes with being smart about the people you're around, where you go and all that. I never find myself doing things at the same time, same location, etc.
THROUGH A RAPIST'S EYES
A group of rapists and date rapists in prison were interviewed on what they look for in a potential victim. A friend of mine sent this to me and I decided to post it here:
1) The first thing that men look for in a potential victim is the hairstyle. Rapists
love women with a ponytail, bun, braids, long hair or other hairstyles that can
be easily grabbed. Women with short hair are not common targets.
2) The second thing rapists look for is clothing. They search for women whose
clothes are easy to remove quickly. Many of them may even carry scissors
around to cut clothes.
3) Rapists look for women who are talking incessantly on their cell phone,
searching through their purses or doing other activities that distract them from
being aware of their surroundings. Rapists choose these victims because they
are caught off guard and can be easily overpowered.
4) Rapists usually attack and rape early in the morning at about 5 am or 8:30am.
5) Number one place for women to be abducted/attacked: Grocery Store
Number two place is Office Parking lots/garages.
Number three is Public Restrooms.
6) Most of the time, rapists grab their victims and quickly move the person to
another location, where they know they will not be noticed nor get caught.
7) Once the victim fights back, this may discourage the rapist, since he will realise
that it will be too time consuming to commit the crime.
8) Rapists said that they would never choose women who carry umbrellas or
other objects that may be used from a distance in their hands. Although keys
are not a deterrent, they can be used as a weapon if the attacker is close
9) Rapists are always searching for an easy target. If he approaches you, hold
your hands in front of you and yell "STOP or STAY BACK!" Some
rapists would flee when a victim yelled or showed that they will fight their
10) It would be prudent to carry pepper spray. If you have it on you, yell at the
attacker, I HAVE PEPPER SPRAY!" and holding it out will serve as a
11) If the rapist is physically bigger and stronger than the victim, there are three
ways to successfully fight off your attacker:
I) Pinch the rapist very hard under the arm or on the inner thigh. One
woman did this to a guy who tried to date rape her and she pinched his
underarm so hard, it broke through the skin and tore out muscle strands: the
guy had to get stitches.
ii) Kick for the most sensitive area in a man: the Groin!
iii) If the attacker puts his hands up to you, grab his first two fingers and
bend them back as far as possible, applying as much pressure as possible.
GUYS PLEASE PASS THIS INFORMATION ON TO ALL YOUR FEMALE RELATIVES AND FRIENDS! IT COULD SAVE THEIR LIVES!
Edited: Geenie on 24th Nov, 2008 - 7:44pm
That is some interesting points there Geenie. I did not know things such as a woman's hairstyle is so important for the rapist. Do you have a source for where they got this like a study or something?
|One question. Are these tips those that the police or any other professional agency would suggest?|
|Best thing you can do is develop streetwise skills. That comes with being smart about the people you're around, where you go and all that. I never find myself doing things at the same time, same location, etc.|
|. Do you have a source for where they got this like a study or something?|
We break from Crime Prevention to share philosophy from days of old:
Today is: 26th April (GMT), in history on the 26th of April, 1637 AD the following birth happened:
Philip J van Lichtenbergh: Governor of Suriname