Autism: Genetic?

Autism Genetic - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 24th Mar, 2017 - 6:48pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 19th Feb, 2007 - 4:31pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

2 NEW GENETIC LINKS PREDISPOSE PEOPLE TO AUTISM, LARGE STUDY SHOWS

An international team of scientists including several Canadians has discovered genetic links that put children at greater risk of developing autism. Ref. Source

Sponsored Links:
19th Feb, 2007 - 6:45pm / Post ID: #

Genetic Autism

There seems to be some very interesting facts coming to light...at long last!
So far, all the experts before this report and study were of the opinion that there was no genetic link with Autism, although UK studies are leading the experts to believe that there is a big link to older Dad's having children later on in life with Autism.
I for one will be keeping an interested eye on the outcome and study of the reason for Autism.

19th Feb, 2007 - 8:58pm / Post ID: #

Autism: Genetic? Health & Special Psychology

I wasn't aware that it wasn't scientifically known that autism was genetic, but I have always assumed it was based on observing families with autistic children. Considering the families I know with autistic children, the majority have more than one child with it. For example, there is a family in my neighborhood with three boys and one girl. All three boys have autism. I believe it is more prevalent in boys. I also know of two other families where two boys have autism. I'm glad that science has caught up with knowledge based on observation. Maybe now a cure and/or better treatments can be found.

22nd Oct, 2007 - 2:01pm / Post ID: #

Genetic Autism

I wonder if there is any kind of pre-test that can be done to determine the percentage risk of having a child with Autism? I wonder how many couples would choose to have a child knowing that there is a high chance of her being born with special needs, in this case Autism?

29th Oct, 2007 - 12:51pm / Post ID: #

Genetic Autism

JB:

international QUOTE

I wonder if there is any kind of pre-test that can be done to determine the percentage risk of having a child with Autism?

Taking into consideration that scientists do not know yet what is the cause of autism, I doubt very much that there is an accurate and reliable test to determine such percentage.

I just saw this very interesting article that describes treatment for kids with autism and stating that those kids with mild cases (Such as Felipe) are the ones that can be helped the most.

international QUOTE
CHICAGO - The country's leading pediatricians group is making its strongest push yet to have all children screened for autism twice by age 2, warning of symptoms such as babies who don't babble at 9 months and 1-year-olds who don't point to toys.

The advice is meant to help both parents and doctors spot autism sooner. There is no cure for the disorder, but experts say that early therapy can lessen its severity.

Symptoms to watch for and the call for early screening come in two new reports. They are being released by the American Academy of Pediatrics on Monday at its annual meeting in San Francisco and will appear in the November issue of the journal Pediatrics and on the group's Web site - Source 6l.

The reports list numerous warning signs, such as a 4-month-old not smiling at the sound of Mom or Dad's voice, or the loss of language or social skills at any age.

Experts say one in 150 U.S. Children have the troubling developmental disorder.

"Parents come into your office now saying 'I'm worried about autism.' Ten years ago, they didn't know what it was," said Dr. Chris Johnson of the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio. She co-authored the reports.

The academy's renewed effort reflects growing awareness since its first autism guidelines in 2001. A 2006 policy statement urged autism screening for all children at their regular doctor visits at age 18 months and 24 months.

The authors caution that not all children who display a few of these symptoms are autistic and they said parents shouldn't overreact to quirky behavior.

Just because a child likes to line up toy cars or has temper tantrums "Doesn't mean you need to have concern, if they're also interacting socially and also pretending with toys and communicating well," said co-author Dr. Scott Myers, a neurodevelopmental pediatrician in Danville, Pa.

"With awareness comes concern when there doesn't always need to be," he said. "These resources will help educate the reader as to which things you really need to be concerned about."

Another educational tool, a Web site that debuted in mid-October, offers dozens of video clips of autistic kids contrasted with unaffected children's behavior. That Web site - Source 4n - is sponsored by two nonprofit advocacy groups: Autism Speaks and First Signs. They hope the site will promote early diagnosis and treatment to help children with autism lead more normal lives.

The two new reports say children with suspected autism should start treatment even before a formal diagnosis. They also warn parents about the special diets and alternative treatments endorsed by celebrities, saying there's no proof those work.

Recommended treatment should include at least 25 hours a week of intensive behavior-based therapy, including educational activities and speech therapy, according to the reports. They list several specific approaches that have been shown to help.

For very young children, therapy typically involves fun activities, such as bouncing balls back and forth or sharing toys to develop social skills; there is repeated praise for eye contact and other behavior autistic children often avoid.... Source

14th Apr, 2013 - 12:10am / Post ID: #

I hope one day we can have all the answers about what exactly causes autism.

international QUOTE
"A study in 2007 looked at a database containing pedigrees of 86 families with two or more autistic children and found that 42 of the third-born male children showed autistic symptoms, suggesting that parents had a 50% chance of passing on a mutation to their offspring. The mathematical models suggest that about 50% of autistic cases are caused by spontaneous mutations. The simplest model was to divide parents into two risk classes depending on whether the parent carries a pre-existing mutation that causes autism; it suggested that about a quarter of autistic children have inherited a copy number variation from their parents.[20]"

Autism was found to occur more often in families of physicists, engineers and scientists.[23] Other studies have yielded similar results.[24][25] Findings of this nature have led to the coinage of the term "Geek syndrome". Source 4

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 7th Mar, 2017 - 8:04pm / Post ID: #

Autism Genetic

World's largest autism genome database shines new light on many 'autisms'

An additional 18 gene variations have been identified that appear to increase the risk of autism. The study involved the analysis of 5,205 whole genomes from families affected by autism -- making it the largest whole genome study of autism to date. Ref. Source 8d.

Post Date: 24th Mar, 2017 - 6:48pm / Post ID: #

Autism Genetic Psychology Special & Health

Delayed Walking May Signal Spontaneous Gene Anomalies in Autism

Distinct behavioral profiles linked to “high confidence” ASD risk genes

Researchers have discovered a pattern of genetic glitches and behavioral features, such as delayed walking, in some cases of autism spectrum disorder (ASD) that could ultimately lead to the identification of subgroups and improved treatment. Ref. Source 7z.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Autism: Genetic?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,