Cost Of Living In Canada

Cost Living Canada - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 8th Sep, 2017 - 1:20am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

22nd Feb, 2007 - 4:13pm / Post ID: #

Cost Of Living In Canada

I would like to know what is the cost of living in Canada? I know it depends on the province, what is your experience like where you live? Salaries, health care, education, etc.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Sponsored Links:
22nd Feb, 2007 - 4:18pm / Post ID: #

Canada Living Cost

Well I will paint you a a picture of my household.

I sit about 60,000 annually I wish I had my t-4 to give the after tax. But weekly I gross 1126.12 net 767.43. The tax on 40 is less.

Mortgage is 1400 monthly including land tx (Land tax is 2100 annually)

Hydro and water is about 100/month but we are conservative we use little air conditioning and no pool and water gardens little.

Natural gas fro heating water and house is 130 a month.

Groceries consist of weekly 130. Meat juice fruit veggies bread.

Car insurance is 110 monthly and about 200 per month for gas.

Phone 56/month includes 1200 minutes long distance in Canada or USA

Dial up internet 4.00 monthly. We have no cable as we are not huge tv fans and high speed internet runs around 50 a month.

I live in Burlington it is 100 km west of Toronto. The house I live in we paid 202,000 two years ago now it is valued at 270,000. Buying a fixer upper has benefits if you do it yourself!.

My wife supports the balance on our bills by working daycare and cleaning sometimes. Seems some times the world turns on monies. A young family here really does little till the house I'd paid for. Then life is easier.

Daycare costs you look at 150 to 210 per week for full time. Part time is around 80. Having many children is tough and is why I stopped at two plus my age and closeness to retirement (56)

The costs I listed are typical in southern Ontario in more remote areas housing cost lowers but food and gas costs increase.

I will look to see if I can find a housing cost comparison for you. I think it was the Hamilton spectator that ran it one time. It listing many towns and the cost of living it was neat.

I will add some secondary costs later as exact number I am unsure but I am trying to bank 100 per month per child for education or starting their own business later on.

Canada vs States Cost of living

This is a tough one but I think Canada we fair better in that with young children we have health care. Our cost of drugs is much lower than the states and most employers have a benefit package that pays at least 50 % of that cost. I am fortunate to have 100%.

I think the cost of living in Canada is better than the states in general. Here the lower income person can still eat. In the states there is a lot more of either rich or just getting by. I have been to states many times and always find the food more expensive(In grocery stores and restaurants) and many items the same price but in American dollars thus making them more expensive.

So I think Canada wins in that area

A hard Item to balance is the cost of real estate vs remoteness and its associated higher basics cost.

I think with all real estate across Canada Remoteness is every thing. More remote cheaper. Though some provinces are just cheaper. Alberta has one of the lowest tax rates as it is offset by the oil wells. Ontario is 14 % 7 percent Ontario tax 7 fed tax. I think newfoundland is around 24 %.

Most provinces are higher population nearest the USA border. Farther away more open land and lower house costs. Though more north some living costs increase greatly. If in a remote area food costs are off set by impedance in growing your own food(A healthy choice also). Meat many just hunt for as in some areas it is over abundant. Ie trout bass pike pickerel bear deer beaver seal moose. I have ate all the above many are very good and easier to digest then chicken or beef from the store.

One cost that can really add up in rural vs city is cars! If you are remote every thing you do you drive to! I grew up 40 miles from the nearest large retail store, theater and over one hour to any resteraunt that was not a mom and pop joint of European decent. So add in a minimum of $ 3,000c Canadian a year for that aspect alone. Country roads are rough and beat up cars fast so struts shocks ect are replaced frequent and cold winter starts are hard on things.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

29th Mar, 2017 - 5:45pm / Post ID: #

Cost Of Living In Canada History & Civil Business Politics

That tax rate is around 32%? From what you broke down if you're depending on one income then it will be tough but with two working life can be easier. Its no different here.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 168 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 16.8%

Post Date: 29th Mar, 2017 - 10:46pm / Post ID: #

Cost Of Living In Canada
A Friend

Canada Living Cost

Yes, costs seem fairly similar. Maybe a touch lower in Canada. How is fuel for your car in Canada? As far as real estate, it's pretty much the same in the US. The further from the city the less expensive the house.

7th Sep, 2017 - 10:16pm / Post ID: #

Canada Living Cost

Sorry for this delayed response Abidjan but fuel her per litre run $1.05 to 1.110. Dues to the Damage in Texas our gas company have Jacked up the price to $1.35 to 1.25 per litre Canadian (Which is 81 cents on the dollar us presently).

Just for fun here is how my area has changed since this was started. House now $600,000.00 Which is on the lower end in the GTA. Average in my area floats $750,000.00. Land tax on that is around 4000 - 6500 pending on neighborhood. Electric and water now runs roughly $500. Gas 75.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

Post Date: 8th Sep, 2017 - 12:41am / Post ID: #

Cost Of Living In Canada
A Friend

Cost Of Living In Canada

I loved visiting Canada when I was up there and I saw many nice sites and ate some real nice food. The only issue I had when I was there was the prices. I guess I am used to my farming community where the prices are a bit lower. I would not mind visiting up north again some time soon Thanks for letting us know the cost of living up there my friend.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
8th Sep, 2017 - 1:03am / Post ID: #

Cost Living Canada

KNtoran most welcome!

But it is true once you live out of the GTA foot print price do drop, though it seems in the last few years it is 60 miles or more east or west.

North Of the GTA prices very greatly due to Cottaging areas.

Once you head into the true north of Ontario housing drops but food prices increase as well as heating costs. True north is above North Bay In Ontario. Barrie, Orillia and the Cottage areas are Central and South Central Ontario.

Post Date: 8th Sep, 2017 - 1:20am / Post ID: #

Cost Of Living In Canada
A Friend

Cost Living Canada Politics Business Civil & History

When I was there I drove up to Winnipeg and spent the night there. I drove to Thunder bay and spent the next night there. The following day I drove the north shore of Lake Superior. If that gives you any Idea where I was at in Canada. I spent the last night in Sue Salt Marie before crossing back into the states. I saw many nice places.

> TOPIC: Cost Of Living In Canada

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,