Elton John In Tobago

Elton John Tobago - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 10th May, 2007 - 3:02am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 5th Mar, 2007 - 11:59pm / Post ID: #

Elton John In Tobago

Elton John In Tobago

On the 29 March Sir Elton John is supposed to perform in Tobago, but there is a lot of hype by a certain segment of the Tobago population who say that a man who open practices homosexuality should not be allowed to come to Tobago. What are your views?

Sponsored Links:
6th Mar, 2007 - 12:33am / Post ID: #

Tobago John Elton

Oh please, his sexual preference should not matter on this issue. Elton John is an incredible talented musician and if I was in Tobago I would definitely would go and watch his performance.

15th Mar, 2007 - 5:23pm / Post ID: #

Elton John In Tobago Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Sir Elton John is an fantastic entertainer! I wish I could go and see him! Now Trinidad and Tobago is considered the first Third World Country, for the highest cases for Aids and yet Tobagonians are complaining about allowing a bisexual entertainer to come to their island to sing? "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!"

26th Apr, 2007 - 12:09pm / Post ID: #

Tobago John Elton

Pastor Cuffie stated an Immigration Act 41 of 1969, which states that homosexuals should be prevented from entering Trinidad and Tobago as one of the reasons Elton John should not be allowed to enter the country.

10th May, 2007 - 3:02am / Post ID: #

Tobago John Elton

I just read that Elton John was granted a "special permission" to enter Tobago since he is openly gay and the law (as my previous post states) denies the entrance to homosexuals. Trinidad and Tobago seem to have some archaic laws.

Sir Elton John had to be granted a special permit to enter Trinidad and Tobago for last month's CL Financial Plymouth Jazz Festival because the pop star is openly gay.

This was based on a recommendation by Chief Immigration Officer Herman Browne.

A storm of controversy, brewed mainly by religious heads who objected to his alternative lifestyle, had followed the announcement that John was scheduled to perform at the jazz fest.

The uproar made headlines around the world and even led to Tobago being parodied on the music video channel VH1.

A group of Tobago-based pastors referred to Section 8 (E) of the Prohibition Class of the Immigration Act, which states that the following should not be allowed on local shores:

"...Prostitutes, homosexuals or persons living on the earnings of prostitutes or homosexuals, or persons reasonably suspected as coming to Trinidad and Tobago for these and any other immoral purposes..."

At last Friday's Crime Consultation at the Signal Hill Secondary Comprehensive School in Tobago, National Security Minister Martin Joseph disclosed that a "special permit" had been granted to the British pop star.

Browne told the Express yesterday that the permit was issued at his behest. "It was a recommendation that came from the Chief Immigration Officer. There was a lot of public controversy surrounding the whole thing, so it was just a judgment call on my part," Browne said.

"I wanted to allay the fears of the promoters so I gave them an advanced assurance. No promoter wants to find out the day before a concert that the singer can't enter the country."

Browne said a special permit can be granted to any person for a purpose.

> TOPIC: Elton John In Tobago

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,