Trinis Like To Say I Am Not Black, I Am Mixed - Page 2 of 3

Name: Ian Comments: I believe that this situation - Page 2 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 4th Apr, 2009 - 12:10pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
3rd Sep, 2008 - 3:04am / Post ID: #

Trinis Like To Say I Am Not Black, I Am Mixed - Page 2

The thing one cannot really tell who is mixed or who is not.

Sometimes I might meet someone who looks black but it may turn out that he / she is in fact a Dougla.

Sponsored Links:
3rd Sep, 2008 - 11:42pm / Post ID: #

Mixed I Black Not I To Trinis

Well maybe they are "Black" but just that they have a bit of Indian in them. Most times people lean to what you look like more than what you actually have in your blood. Plus you really do not know. Maybe grandma had a little fling and brough in a line you did not know about.

4th Sep, 2008 - 12:25am / Post ID: #

Trinis Like To Say I Am Not Black, I Am Mixed Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

I suppose so.

This reminds me of a friend of mine who is a dougla. But I feel if people meet him for the first time they'd think he is Indian since his features are more Indian than African. I think a lot of the time you cannot really tell.

10th Sep, 2008 - 3:11am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Mixed I Black Not I To Trinis

My mother's father family is French (from France), her mother's family is Chinese (from China), my father's mother is Indian (from India) and his father's family is from Spain. Now if I am not mixed, I would really like to know who or what is... geeze anybody living in Trinidad has an over 90% chance that you are mixed, what's the problem? As someone said earlier, to other places we are all black.

Post Date: 30th Mar, 2009 - 2:52pm / Post ID: #

Mixed I Black Not I To Trinis

Name: Nikkkyi

Comments: I don't think its a matter of trinis claiming mixed heritage just for the sake of it. The overwhelming truth is that phenotypes dont always reflect in the names. I have family with the the Spanish last name Castillo.Some look plain African with just subtle difference in hair texture, while others look pure Spanish. I also have family where some siblings look Indian and some look black(having the same parents).For some one to say they are CLAIMING to be mixed when they don't look it is ludicrous. They are who they are! Try coming to a Trini family reunion .

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please check over your spelling before submitting.

30th Mar, 2009 - 11:01pm / Post ID: #

Trinis Like To Say I Am Not Black, I Am Mixed

QUOTE (JoePublic @ 30-Mar 09, 10:52 AM)
I have family with the the Spanish last name Castillo.Some look plain African with just subtle difference in hair texture, while others look pure Spanish.

How do "pure" Spanish people look like? I ask because Trinis have their own colloquial concept of what "Spanish" is. If you're referring to Spaniards then most of them are Caucasian. If you're referring to Latinos, then let me say that Latinos is not a race therefore there are white, blacks, Asians Latinos, etc. There is not such a thing as the typical "Latino" since there are many races within the Latin community.

For some one to say they are CLAIMING to be mixed when they don't look it is ludicrous. They are who they are!

I think you're missing the point. The issue is NOT whether they're mixed or not but why are they quick to say they are mixed with anything else but their own race/ethnicity. We are all mixed one way or another but Trinis have a specific like for saying they're mixed as it is something "better" than just being an average"black" guy/girl. It is not ludicrous at all but I know that some Trinis will not understand or accept this fully since they themselves are the ones doing this.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 3rd Apr, 2009 - 1:24am / Post ID: #

Trinis To I Not Black I Mixed - Page 2

Name: Freindmon

Comments: Many Trinis seem to speak from ignorance and you cannot tell them anything so they are proud in their ignorance! I just let them be their true self. Believe me, I have tried it! I explain the problem, point out the rationale and they cannot see like they use to call Chambers! They done see so leave them.

Post Date: 4th Apr, 2009 - 12:10pm / Post ID: #

Trinis To I Not Black I Mixed Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean - Page 2

Name: Ian

Comments: I believe that this situation is more widespread that we can imagine. I remember watching a TV documentary about Latins in the American Big League Baseball. This incident happened in the 50s during the segregation period. These coloured players and their manager entered a restaurant for lunch and were told that they didn't serve coloureds there. The manager told the waiter that they weren't coloureds but Latins. The waiter went away and consulted with his superior. Then came back and said, "That's OK." and proceeded to serve them.

Source 1: TV Documentary "Latins in the Big Leagues"

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Trinis Like To Say I Am Not Black, I Am Mixed

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,