How Do You Recognize A Trini?

How Recognize Trini - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 2nd May, 2007 - 6:47pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

15th Mar, 2007 - 10:21pm / Post ID: #

Do you think you can "spot" a Trini without hearing the accent? If so, what are the characteristics of a Trini that makes him so unique?

Sponsored Links:
16th Mar, 2007 - 3:33am / Post ID: #

Trini Recognize You How

Well, I guess you are referring to going abroad and recognizing a Trini?

For me the only give aways would be a soca / carnival related t-shirt and the smell of a seasoned spicy curry (it is not the same as the traditional Indian curry).

If you are asking if I can spot a Trini by just looking at them then the answer is definitely "no" since Trinidad & Tobago is made up of peoples from other countries and they therefore have no unique features of their own.

Rather off topic, but...
I have not searched, but this topic sounds familiar - we may have something like it lurking around.

16th Mar, 2007 - 11:41am / Post ID: #

How Do You Recognize A Trini? Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Definitely no. wink.gif I cannot spot them by just looking at them. If I see an East Indian Trini, I would think he/she is from India. If I see an Afro-Trinidadian, the options are endless. If I see a Trini "Syrian" definitly I would think he/she is from the Middle East. If I see a "local white" (depending on their look) I may think he/she is Latino/a, Portuguese, Italian or some other Mediterranean country. If I see a Chinese, well, you bet...China and if they are douglas or "mixed" (mulattos/ "reds") the options are many just as the Afro-Trinidadians.

16th Mar, 2007 - 8:05pm / Post ID: #

Trini Recognize You How

QUOTE (Self)
Do you think you can "spot" a Trini without hearing the accent? If so, what are the characteristics of a Trini that makes him so unique?

Here are a few ways to "spot" a Trini without hearing the accent:

1) Trinis go to parties for the food.
2) Trinis bring home food from parties.
3) Trinis greet people by nodding their head upwards.
4) Trinis point with their lips.
5) Trinis love to pour ketchup and mustard on their pizza.

Of course, there are other ways to "spot" a Trini but I am hoping more people will participate.

Rather off topic, but...
If anyone can indicate where they have seen this topic, please post a message to my Intro, so that I can place my response in the appropriate area.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please learn how to use the Quote / Offtopic Tags. See our Constructive Posting Policy.

17th Mar, 2007 - 3:02am / Post ID: #

Trini Recognize You How

QUOTE (Geenie @ 16-Mar 07, 4:05 PM)
Here are a few ways to "spot" a Trini without hearing the accent:

1) Trinis go to parties for the food.
2) Trinis bring home food from parties.
3) Trinis greet people by nodding their head upwards.
4) Trinis point with their lips.
5) Trinis love to pour ketchup and mustard on their pizza.

That list made me laugh, laugh.gif nevertheless I must be married a non-Trini because hubby do not go to parties for food (he avoids food gatherings at all costs because of hygiene), he definitly does not greet people by nodding his head upwards neither point things with his lips and we even make a joke about the ketchup and mustard thing on the pizza! (we do not understand why some Trinis love it)

But I do see those things in a lot of Trinidadians. It's hilarious sometimes!

One that I must add is that Trinis love to go to your home unannounced.

2nd May, 2007 - 6:47pm / Post ID: #

The following are more ways to "spot" a Trini without hearing the accent:

6) Trinis flirt by having a foolish grin on the face while raising the eyebrows repeatedly.
7) Trinis love to hang a rosary on the car's rear view mirror.
8) Trinis consider fried bake and shark or fried bake and buljol, as a perfect meal for either breakfast or lunch.
9) Trinis never dispose empty containers; they prefer to use them for pepper sauce.
10) A Trini's method for making orange juice is to use a lot of water, a lot of sugar, many ice cubes and only two small oranges.

Reconcile Edited: Geenie on 2nd May, 2007 - 6:54pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: How Do You Recognize A Trini?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,