September Dawn

September Dawn - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 19th Oct, 2008 - 2:54am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Love story in the Mountain Meadows Massacre
10th Apr, 2007 - 8:02pm / Post ID: #

September Dawn

This movie is going to be released on May 4th. Three interesting facts about this movie:

1. A love story in the middle of the Mountain Meadows Massacre.

2. Dean Cain (the actor who played Superman, not the recent one) but the TV series, plays Joseph Smith. It's unusual because the tragedy occurred in 1857 and Smith was already dead, I suppose they will bring some history into it?

3. There are a cast of well known-actors which can mean the movie could become pretty popular.

From the movie web site:

On September 11th, 1857 in an unspoiled valley of the Utah territory and in the name of God - 120 men, women and children were savagely murdered.

Who ordered the massacre, and why, has been hidden in a cloak of secrecy and conspiracy.

And the reputation of one of this nation's mightiest religious figures has been preserved and protected.

On May 4th the truth will be revealed.

Sponsored Links:
22nd Jun, 2007 - 7:46pm / Post ID: #

Dawn September

I was reading some reviews of this movie and it seems both sides agree that they portrait the Church and its members in a very bad light. It seems like every Mormon in the movie is seeing as evil. I just saw the trailer that does not show much but I can sense that the account given is the one that believes the Massacre was ordered by Brigham Young whose in the movie is played by Angelina Jolie's father Jon Voight.

A movie about the Mountain Meadows Massacre is sending a big ripple of emotion through descendants on both sides of the story. Some descendants say it puts the story into the right perspective, while others say it's grossly inaccurate.

The movie quotes Brigham Young as saying, "I am the voice of God, and anyone who doesn't like it will be hewn down."

You ask people on either side of the Mountain Meadows Massacre, and they all say the same thing. The movie "September Dawn" puts the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in a very bad light.

In the movie trailer, the announcer says, "The reputation of one of this nation's mightiest religious figures has been preserved and protected until now." However, some descendants of the massacre say the LDS Church needs to be put in a bad light over what happened.

Burr Fancher is a descendant of Alexander Fancher who led the group killed in the massacre. He says, "It put the saddle on the right horse as far as I'm concerned on who planned and ordered the massacre."

Fancher says the LDS Church has never officially apologized for it, and he feels the church should not be the stewards of the Mountain Meadows Monument. Fancher says the movie showed how fanatical Mormons were at the time. He says, "I don't think it had anything to do with [the] current-day Mormon Church, it had something to do with the church in 1857."

27th Mar, 2008 - 8:39am / Post ID: #

September Dawn Studies Doctrine Mormon

I finally saw this film and here is my review of it with specific points made. First of all I thought the movie was "OK" as far as acting, background and so forth. It centered around a romance between a young Mormon boy and a young girl who was just passing through. The film has a biased approach to the events of the Mountain Meadows Massacre placing full blame on the Church and holding Brigham Young as directly responsible.

Here are some points:

* Near the opening scene you see the Mormon Bishop cursing the visitors while the pastor / priest is asking God to bless them. I thought this was way off base and not necessary. I understand the concept of trying to show how the Mormons of the day may have been concerned about Missourians passing through 'their turf', but this was ridiculous.

* The movie's biased was not hidden and major reviews for this film were terrible with some big names giving it a resounding zero.

* There was a reenactment of Joseph Smith's assassination, they seemed to get that right even though it was very short.

* The film emphasizes the Blood Atonement Doctrine and some quotes from Brigham Young are taken literal and as though the Church at the time rigidly put to death any covenant breakers.

* Throughout the film Polygamy is regularly mentioned and in some cases made to be a comical issue.

* There is a mention where one has to give up their wife to another.

* Endowment and sacred prayers are mentioned and shown!

Now, there may a desire to Discuss these points here, BUT I should mention that much of these are Discussed fully in the LDS Mature Board. I only brought the points up here as a review and not as a means to Discussing it.

19th Oct, 2008 - 2:54am / Post ID: #

Dawn September

I just finished watching this movie and I thought it was quite professional. The acting wasn't the greatest but Jon Voight and other senior actors did a great job. Besides the silly parts where they try to portrait all the mormons as crazy fanatics, the actual event of the Mountain Meadow Massacre seems to be pretty accurate based on the many studies on the topic.

It was sad to watch though knowing that so many people have died in the real tragedy.

> TOPIC: September Dawn

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,