Mormons, Marijuana & The Word Of Wisdom - Page 4 of 14

Name: Wog Comments: Very refreshing to hear - Page 4 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 15th Jan, 2010 - 10:46am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (14) »
Mormons Smoking Pot
Controversial Mormon Issue
Post Date: 22nd Oct, 2009 - 11:19am / Post ID: #

Mormons, Marijuana & The Word Of Wisdom - Page 4

Name: Andrew

Comments: Bruce,

I hear stories like your's every day of my life. I have grown and caregave for several dozen medical patients over the past few years and some of them have had chronic back pain from car wrecks, snowboarding, construction, motorcycle crashes, etc that is truly relieved by certain strains of cannabis while others have such serious diseases and problems as cancer, AIDS, HIV, Glaucoma, Asthma, and Crohn's disease. Cystic Fibrosis is also a condition I have seen helped by the ingestion of cannabis indica. Some of the more critically sick patients depended on the medicine I grew to get their appetite.
Due to being "in the trenches" so to speak and working with non-profit's and clinics around the Portland Area, I have truly been able to see the clear delineation between cannabis use and cannabis abuse. I do agree that a few bad apples slip through and probably use a medical history of "pain" to get a prescription to get high. However, I also feel that they are a smaller percentage and the program is doing more good than bad as a whole and saving a whole lot of lives while taking none. I would also say that a few "bad apples" can be accounted for in any group of drugs and it's users whether it's laughing gas, pain killers, nitrous oxide, opiates, novacaine (the synthetic cocaine used in dentists offices), amphetamines, alchohol, sleeping pills, depression pills, etc, etc. It is not our job to judge and try to guess the motives of those doctors who prescribe medicine to their patients and the patients who seek the use of cannabis for what appear to be legitimate, qualified reasons. I think this is between them, their health provider, possibly their bishop and God.
I believe that the compassionate use law for medical cannabis is an important step in changing the way our government looks and deals with our nation's failing medical system as a whole. By recommending, prescribing, studying and using medical cannabis as well as other natural alternative treatments and medications and stepping away form the big billion dollar business of synthetic garbage drugs and mass chemical manufacturing, we are taking a step closer toward a more natural and healthier way of living. Medical cannabis is one of the safest, yet most therapuetic and mult-applicable drugs known to man. I do not know of a drug that can treat more conditions than cannabis, do you? It works effectively and safely for chronic pain, anxiety, stress, asthma, AIDS, HIV, Muscular Dystophy, Migraine headaches, Cancer, Chemo, Glaucoma, Menstrual Problems, Scholeosis, MS, and many, many other conditions. History has not provided us with any proven or recorded deaths from it's use, yet everyday throughout America an underground army of people with "greenthumbs" risk their individual rights and freedoms to preserve this sacred and historical plant. As you know, cannabis was also mentioned in the Holy Bible as it was also a staple in helping the Saints survive in the days before treking out to Salt Lake City. Cannabis was in such high demand during world war 2 that our Federal government FORCED farmers to grow marijuana through what was known as the "cannabis Tax act." Farmers were forced and federally licensed and funded to provide the Army, Navy and Airforce with hemp for clothing, rope, shoes, tinctures, salves, etc.

Let's take a look at deaths per year from common drugs. How dangerous is marijuana?;

BASED ON INSURANCE ACTUARIAL RATES and US SURGEON GENERAL

international QUOTE
1. Tobacco      400,000. + per year
2. Alchohol      150,000. + per year
3. Aspirin      1000.00+ per year
4. "FDA" drugs  10,000.00+ per year
5. Illegal drugs 5200.00 + per year
6. Marijuana        0.0 per year

MARIJUANA has the lowest toxicity of almost any substance or drug out there! 100% of all University and government funded studies done at dozens of America's top universities and labs show and prove that marijuana toxicity doesn't exist. Medical history has not one recorded overdose from weed. (UCLA, HARVARD, BERKELY, TEMPLE, US GOVERNENT, ETC)

Medical Marijuana users also have

We can use hemp for medicine, food, fuel, fiber, paper, and replace plastic and stuff made from crude oil and fossil fuels! We could literally save the planet, stop the deforestation of trees and rainforests, protect our precious ozone layer, reverse the greenhouse effect, reduce taxes for our insane prison system, meet all the world's transportation and fuel needs, and do much, much more.
Rather off topic, but...

Folks, watch the movie "Reefer Madness." This was some of the propaganda put out by the government back in 1937 to help persude the general public to accept prohibition. You will find it very good for a look at the history of lies.

Also, on another interesting note, medical marijuana users have the same or lower incidence of murders and highway deaths and accidents than the general non using population as a whole. (Study at UCLA; US Funded for 6 million 1968 to 1974).

Rather off topic, but...
In studying seeds of various herbs and plants I looked at almonds, peanuts, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds and many other nuts and seeds. Did you know cannabis seeds are the healthiest seed on earth. Before prohibition, it was used in soups, foods, breads, gruels by virtually all people. Hemp seed can be pressed for a great oil. Marijuana seeds are the "world's finest" seed protein, the most complete and available-to-the-body seed. Until 1937, hemp seed was the world's # 1 bird seed and also the FAVORITE seed of almost all species of birds. Four million pounds of hemp seeds were sold in 1937 for song birds. Birds will always pick out hemp seeds and eat them first if mixed with other seed types. They also are proven to live longer eating hemp and show more vigor and overall health.

Alright, I have seemed to go off on a slight tangent, but you get my point. The percentage of people who abuse cannabis doesn't even come close to the amount of good it will do for the world if can harness the correct methods of using it. Instead of listening to the brainwashing of the general public, that in my opinion has happened since 1937, we should instead take a look at the cold, hard facts. Joseph Smith recommended we really study things out for ourselves and that's what I have strived to do without being biased. I respect everyone's opinions on this forum, but plead with you to look at it through another's eyes. There is such a "stigma" attached to medical marijuana in some states due to the misinformation traps and the years of lies. I think we need to be cautious not to lump the medical cannabis movement in with movements such as gay rights, abortion rights, gambling rights, hard drug legalization, etc. They are not the same and it's not good to look at them the same. Gay rights, abortion, gambling are not saving lives or helping people eat. They are causing AIDS, the death of fetus, addiction to the thrill of chance, etc. Cannabis, in the contrary, is helping millions if not billions of people around the world every day in one way or another. That is my 2 cents on this thread.

Reconcile Message Edited...
JB: Andrew, since this Topic is of such interest to you please Register to make your own Posts. In this way you can use the proper tags for your content which I inserted for you. Also you will find many non-LDS Threads dealing with the subject in which you can add more of your scientific information - we wish to keep this Thread more for the Doctrinal aspects of Marijuana use.

Sponsored Links:
22nd Oct, 2009 - 3:34pm / Post ID: #

Wisdom Word and Marijuana Mormons

Folks some of these posts are little troublesome. I could understand that some of ya may say well we need to use weed 'cause its the only thing that works for us, etc etc etc but now you guys are like saying its the best plant on earth and pretty much everybody should use it. I have a problem with that, I'm sure some people may use it for medical purposes but controlling that it's impossible and unrealistic and will lead to people trying to make a buck or two out of the whole thing.

22nd Oct, 2009 - 4:55pm / Post ID: #

Mormons, Marijuana & The Word Of Wisdom Studies Doctrine Mormon

I had no idea hemp seeds were marijuana seeds...that's nuts!

I still don't want my teenagers smoking weed...ever.

I am a person living with chronic pain....I can understand someone needing the herb for chronic pain, or treatment with cancer; I would not object to one of my loved ones using it for those reasons. My pain is not to the point of ever considering pot; it just looks bad.

Also, as a medical transcriptionist, I have done many many reports on "pot users," honestly, the are like 50 years old using pot recreationally, and have accomplished nothing in their lives as far as education, career, family. In fact, I have a family member like that...not a pretty site.

But saying that, Adderall and narcotics are used medicinally, yet abused.

I suppose there is a good side and bad side to everything. The stigmata attached to marijuana is pretty bad though, and something I personally would not want to be associated with.

"Yeah, my mom smokes a little pot, when her neck can't move"....no not happening for me...ahhh

Thanks for the information Joe Public...very good read.

No weed for me!

Post Date: 23rd Oct, 2009 - 1:58am / Post ID: #

Page 4 Wisdom Word and Marijuana Mormons

Comments: Suzie, I totally see your point. And agree, many of these posts have slightly alarmed me. Now, if we tally it up, there really are not many other plants on Earth with more applicable uses.... For textiles, fuel, medication, etc than cannabis. It really can provide many different uses to mankind and has for over 6000 years. Google it and you find more uses than you ever even thought of!

However, I think we need to refocus on the point of this thread. And that focus is this;

Is it ok and acceptable for a Latter Day Saint to use medical marijuana if they are recommended it by their doctor and also given a legal prescription?

The answer can only be answered by you. According to Church leadership, it depends on the circumstance. They have not taken a definitive stance that I have seen as they have on several other issues. Most Bishops, from my experience tend to feel the same and have no problem issuing a temple recommend as long as the use is for a legal medical purpose and has an attending physician and paperwork supporting that. This is probably an issue that will remain this way for a while, so it is a topic that each of us must decide for ourselves. I know what I believe is the right thing to do in my situation and I do my best to do it.

Now Suzie, I would like to quote you..

international QUOTE
"I'm sure some people may use it for medical purposes but controlling that it's impossible and unrealistic and will lead to people trying to make a buck or two out of the whole thing."

I disagree. It is no different than regulating any other plant (such as tobacco) or any other prescription drug for that matter. It can be licensed, weighed, dosed, dispensed, inspected and controlled in the exact same manner. And as far as making money, yes of course people would make money on it. I don't know of any pro-bono doctors or pharmaceutical companies in my area. What is the difference between that and the multi-billion dollar pharmaceutical drug industry? Let me tell you, these ain't non-profits either. If someone is legally licensed to produce a drug, what is wrong with LEGITIMATE compensation in exchange for that labor? In my mind, it's only questionable if it's profits from abuse of a drug or illicit sales of it immorally. Please explain why "making a buck" of a state sanctioned pharmeacutical drug is morally wrong...

Drea, my teenagers better not smoke weed either! If they do, they are going to have to do some explainin' to Dad!

Based on your comment above, you seem to associate marijuana as causing people to get lazy....that's also a STEREOTYPE. I think folks who use cannabis and are lazy would be lazy no matter what. If they didn't abuse cannabis, they would be an alchoholic instead, or a overeater or whatever. I have used medically for several years for an accident I was in, but it has never affected my drive. I am one of the most motivated guys you will ever meet. I own a loss mitigation firm in downtown Portland, am our Ward Boy Scout Leader, own an information marketing company as well as a consulting firm. I hunt, build hotrods, fish, hike, camp and travel a lot! I am a workaholic and somtimes work more than I should... 14+ hour days 6 days a week. That being said, I also have and have had patients who are cops, a sherrif, a pediatrician, an attorney, chemical engineer, Intel micro chip maker, and a farmer. All are productive members of society and seem to be good people for the most part. I think the "lazy pothead" commercials you see on TV are a stigma and not necessarily a good representation of your average medical user. A few bad apples tend to make people think of cannabis users as having demotivational syndrome. I have not really seen that to be true unless you are talking about hippies from the 60's and 70's who sat around and smoked pot all day and CERTAINLY abused it.
I think if you feel that you need medical cannabis but have doubts as a Latter Day Saint, it might be wise to counsel with your bishop as well as your doctor to help determine if you truly need it. Some guidance and prayer will surely leave us knowing the right thing to do in each individual scenario. You need to weigh the side effects of the possible medications that will help your affliction and go from there. Most of the "tv commercial" drugs have so many side effects and bad reactions, that it's kind of scarry dealing with them. Do I really want to risk losing my liver or damaging my kidney's permanently? That's the reality of it.

Rather off topic, but...
JB, I will be happy to set up a profile...just had a newborn...she is only a few days old and weighs a hair over 9 lbs now so she is healthy and gaining weight steadily! That being said, we have the folks in town visiting their new grandaughter and I don't have time to set it up right now but will promise to do so asap.

Persephone: Please look at how we use the Quote / Offtopic Tags here. When you do not use these tags source material that is not your own may appear to be yours when it is not. See our Constructive Posting Policy.

23rd Oct, 2009 - 2:05am / Post ID: #

Wisdom Word and Marijuana Mormons

international QUOTE (JoePublic @ 23-Oct 09, 1:58 AM)
And as far as making money, yes of course people would make money on it. I don't know of any pro-bono doctors or pharmaceutical companies in my area. What is the difference between that and the multi-billion dollar pharmaceutical drug industry? Let me tell you, these ain't non-profits either. If someone is legally licensed to produce a drug, what is wrong with LEGITIMATE compensation in exchange for that labor? In my mind, it's only questionable if it's profits from abuse of a drug or illicit sales of it immorally. Please explain why "making a buck" of a state sanctioned pharmeacutical drug is morally wrong...

Hey Andrew, yeah I didnt finish the sentence. I was referring to those who are authorized to grow weed for medical purposes but then would try to profit from it by selling it to potheads, etc. I see a huge window for abuse.

Post Date: 23rd Oct, 2009 - 3:20am / Post ID: #

Mormons, Marijuana & The Word Of Wisdom

Comments: Suzie, I fully agree. However, that "window" for abuse is open to any and all drugs, pain killers or whatnot. Pharmecutical or not. A black market exists for ALL drugs, prescription or illicit. Many people in my area sell pain killers by the pill illegally for street use. However, my mother uses pills legitimately for migraines. There is clear abuse and proper use with the pills. Abuse...It exists in all countries and within all cultures. Unfortunately, it is a window that will never be closed nor can be. It's a human nature that people like to abuse substances but we cannot let that eliminate the legitimate justified use. Can we? I mean these days we have paint huffers, glue sniffers, alchoholics, drug abusers, over-eaters, energy drink abusers. I mean people are prone to abuse anything these days.

But an important issue I want to discuss/debate is on the gospel message called the Word of Wisdom which defines in these latter days what should and should not enter our body. I do not believe that cannabis (when USED AS MEDICINE prescribed by a licensed MD) in any way violates the word of wisdom. From my studies, the use of "wholesome" herbs and "herb bearing seeds" are cleary ordained for the use of man. This can be illustrated in the New Testament, Old Testament as well as in D & C.

Can I get some feedback from other members of the Church? I want to hear some opinions of other folks on the topic. Can anyone provide some gospel passages on this or maybe some prophetic counsel? Not on the illegal use of drugs or marijuana but the medicinal application. There is as distinct of a difference as there is between taking Nyquil for a cold (which contains alchohol) and binge drinking at the bar. This difference must be clearly understood and defined. Would you feel it necessary to consult with a bishop over using nyquil since it has alchohol? I wouldn't.

I think a big part of the problem and stigma's associated with marijuana is that there are many advocacy group's whom's secret agenda's are to promote and move toward complete and total legalization for recreational use.These are the groups that Kimball warned of in a church news article. This is not the type of legalization or the types of advocacy groups that must be promoted. Some groups use the "medical" front as a cloak or mask to hide their true motives. My wish is that it be legalized medically on a state and/or federal level and it ends there. The largest medical specialty organization in the nation as well as the second largest group of physians have issued bold statements testifying that medical marijuana needs to be federally legalized. We know that their motives are not to push for illicit and total legalization. It's groups such as this that need to be heard. Tens of thousands of doctor's feel it's a drug that must be available. Can we deny their opinion's despite overwhelming medical proof that it saves lives?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
25th Oct, 2009 - 5:35pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Marijuana & Word Wisdom - Page 4

The word "Harmful" should come before drugs, so the requirement is that we should not use harmful drugs. If a drug is used for a specific application by a professional medical doctor for the purpose to cure, or enable healing then it is not harmful. Even then addiction or over medicating can be harmful since you are not monitored for usage. Marijuana can be seen in the same light, thus it comes down to personal honesty since no blood will be drawn for testing during a temple interview.

Post Date: 15th Jan, 2010 - 10:46am / Post ID: #

Mormons Marijuana & Word Wisdom Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 4

Name: Wog

Comments: Very refreshing to hear members of the church that understand that we are to shun the arm of man and rely upon the Lord. By finding health in plants (Lords creation) we glorify God and his creation, and confirm validity to the scriptures. Mormons (myself, returned full missionary) are for a majority promoters of mans failed system. We argue for big pharmacy and the creations of man. We say go to Babylon college and learn the ways of man, become a know it all today and shun yesterday professional. Today we know it all, the chemistry of man (god) needs propped up by chemical "food" and chemical "drugs" Eat that hormone filled meat, no worries, you got your temple recommend. Go Get some slab of flesh in the Temple! Eat the chemical concoction flour infused with chlorine and all other great concoctions of man, you are totally in compliance with the word of wisdom.

Standard American Diet (sad) is an addiction. I love all the fat Mormons who sit in church and say, "one cup of coffee kept them out of the temple, so sad." Watch out fatty, I'm going to chase you down untill you faint:)

I would love to see one of these "Mormons" on this thread try to stop eating refined sugars. No more chemical food people, start living in Zion today and say good by to Jhonson and Jhonson, bye to Phizer, say good bye to your trademarked blah blah blah. Live in Zion and start up a bank?

Nope aint happening in Zion, Christ will not be shipping in the swine flu vaccine either. Will all the church gray hairs be ok without hearing the "professional opinion" of there doctor? Will the grey hairs be ok with " mild food, herbs, faith, and a blessing?"

Will the members of the church wake up and realize that they promote satanism system in church ? Will they ever wake up to the petroleum pill lie that so many willingly take daily believing that mans creation, mans judgment, mans chemistry will be there bodies only salvation?

I'm sick babylon, help me, you have what helps.

I cant read the scriptures and not hear the lies of Babylon being repeated today in the Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Typical Mormon Junkie, Hide the cookies and sweets because everyone eats it too quick and I want it all for myself, so hide it away in the closet.

Now eat all that hidden away junk and then start hiding the pills you now take to feel ok, to sleep, to blah blah blah the Mormon Finger Pointing Addict.

Eat mans crap all day, glorify man and his creation

Eat plants, vegetables, fruits, herbs, un-adulterated non-derived FOOD that the Lord created to nourish are temples and Glorify Him !

p.s. Medical Marijuana is a misnomer, read your scriptures more

Persephone: Before submitting your comments please use good grammar - no net talk or slang, check your spelling and remember that names of places and people begin with an uppercase letter.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (14) »

> TOPIC: Mormons, Marijuana & The Word Of Wisdom

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,