Mormons, Marijuana & The Word Of Wisdom - Page 9 of 14

Name: Jeffery Country: Comments: I have been - Page 9 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 12th Nov, 2010 - 2:29am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 14 pgs.  5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ...Latest (14) »
Mormons Smoking Pot
Controversial Mormon Issue
3rd Sep, 2010 - 11:20am / Post ID: #

Mormons, Marijuana & The Word Of Wisdom - Page 9

PrestonRay and others focusing on Marijuana as a relief center / cure all - this is the point I am trying to make, Marijuana does not solve everything. It seems many are focusing on a cure to their troubles than what should be the prevention. In deed focusing on any one thing that is not part of human body's natural intake will cause you to lose focus. Everyone has a problem of some sorts but you guys seem to be focusing on the outlet more than what the problem is. It is like gum disease, you can try to go to the dentist and keep having him fix cavities and prescribe you medicine or you can simply keep your teeth clean by brushing and flossing regularly and the gum will then heal themselves. Constantly visiting the dentist is not going to make the problem go away just as a reliance on any one drug. The topic could be "Aspirin and the Word of Wisdom" or "Medicating yourself with food to feel good", it does not matter - using an object as a crutch cannot be a good thing.

Sponsored Links:
3rd Sep, 2010 - 12:43pm / Post ID: #

Wisdom Word and Marijuana Mormons

international QUOTE (PrestonRay @ 3-Sep 10, 9:54 AM)
I posted my story awhile back and was met with Suzie and left.

Oh wow, so it seems you have a problem when someone challenges your views. This is a discussion forum and when we post our position on certain things we will find people challenging them, it's called debating. Please don't take it personal.

international QUOTE
But I feel a little lost when it comes to the church and pot. I mean, as far as my priesthood level goes I've been ordained a priest.. That's when I got my pat blessing. That's when I started smoking. I'm 20 now, bout to turn 21 and still haven't served a mission. Haven't really been into the church a whole lot either. I've stopped smoking off and on through the times.. I've been clean off and on. But lately I've been down.. I mean really down. And I jumped back on the wagon. I've been told I have a strong tesimony of Joseph Smith, Jesus Christ, the Book of Mormon, and declared of the tribe Judah. While depressed.. I smoked a marijuana cigar. Then I picked up my scriptures and flipped to the D&C. Is that wrong to do? I figured if you smoked pot you can't hold the priesthood.. But if you eat hash brownies you can?

Not sure why you are lost about with regards to the Church and pot. I think you're actually the example of why the Church isn't keen about the use of pot for non-medical reasons (without a prescription). Let me explain...You're 20 and haven't served a mission yet, you're on and off marijuana but now you jumped back on the wagon even though you mentioned before that a temple recommend is more important to you than pot...on top of all that you now want to rationalize your use and like for marijuana with the scriptures and wonder if is really "that" wrong to do. Can you see it ? With all honesty, can you really see that you seem to have an addiction problem? Can you see how are you trying to rationalize your use of marijuana?

Now before you start saying I am judging you, what I am trying to do is to help you SEE the status in which you are right now. People uses alcohol, food, drugs, etc when they are at the lowest with depression and other difficulties, pot isn't the exception you know what am I saying? I believe you need to go to a psychologist (LDS preferably) and deal with the past or present issues that psychologically are bothering you. We all have them and I think you could benefit greatly from therapy sessions and other prescribed medications to treat your depression.

Post Date: 3rd Oct, 2010 - 4:37pm / Post ID: #

Mormons, Marijuana & The Word Of Wisdom Studies Doctrine Mormon

Name: Nate

Comments: I guess the primary issue with the use of medical marijuana and the word of wisdom would be the intent of your heart. The spirit of the law overrides any strict legalistic approach. There is alcohol and caffiene, opiates and other narcotics abounding in many prescribed medicines used for the good and well being of many people needing them. So if you are dealing with cancer or ptsd or other things where there is a body of evidence that supports its use then it would be fine. However, when using it as a method of escape from the mental stresses of this world, it wouldn't be okay. You can't use it as a crutch that only masks real issues in your life. At some point you have to learn to overcome weaknesses for real and not hide them away by smoking pot.

Post Date: 2nd Nov, 2010 - 9:55am / Post ID: #

Mormons, Marijuana & The Word Of Wisdom
A Friend

Page 9 Wisdom Word and Marijuana Mormons

Anyways I really believe that we shouldn't lean unto our own understanding but to trust in the Lord he will direct each and every one of us individually to the collective good! To the Guy that posted the original topic: what a great spot you're in to be able to re teach and stir up a remembrance of that simple pattern and beautiful scripture;

international QUOTE
"If any of you lack wisdom let him ask of God that giveth to ALL men liberally and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."

With my understanding which compared to most of you might be small I think that we really should worry more about how to better help and care for each other. If you really think a plant should determine how you'll deal with a person why don't you do what the savior did and visit them, comfort them, be a friend to them, love them, share with them your feelings without the spirit of contention. Maybe then we wouldn't have so many unhappy people leaving the church I don't know! Sometimes we forget that other people are in different situations than we are. Thats probably why God will judge us (not Suzie!(laugh) just kiddin Suzie you're cool!) If it was up to me I would want as many old friends family members and people in my earthly life to get the best eternal reward possible.

I think anything can be abused I think its so pathetic that a simple plant sparks so much contention even in our own people. Personally I think any way you use marijuana can be interpreted by another person as having a medicinal or therapeutic application so its up to you and how you feel about it. How come people don't get so worked up about stuff thats way sketchy but completely legal? Its a freaking plant!

I love sweet stinky weed it relaxes you makes your back feel great and hopefully tomorrow California's Prop.19 passes and puts serious criminals behind bars like drug cartels, sex slave trade, gangs, rapists murderers, ya know the real freaks out there. I don't smoke marijuana for pretty much one reason, my amazing wife who is the sweetest person ever. I love her very much and don't want to disappoint her or make her feel in any way disappointed or embarrassed by my actions. If smoking weed is a no for her whelp I married her for a reason and cleave unto her as she does to me. Plus weed in my experience is only fun with other real good friends. I don't want to be the lame Pothead smoking a doobie by myself or in secret. But man if I was in California. In a post November 2 2010 where weed was legal , my wife was fine with it and I couldn't sleep had some pain or just needed some laughs gimme the brownie, pass the vaporizer, and light up a fatty full of fellowship and fun! [..]

Rather off topic, but...
First off I'm grateful for the opportunity to be able to express my thoughts and feelings about this mess! (laugh)! Also There are so many typos in this debate its hard to understand whats being said! Just kidding I'm sure I'll have some! Just my two cents not this hole nasty mess. I wanna start of by saying that I'm a young guy and maybe my words wont have too much weight like the rest. I don't have a degree yet but I'm working on one and doing pretty good at it! I've served a full-time mission, a little side note mostly directed to that 20 year old who still hasn't; I went at 19 like most young men in the church (my favorite companion on the mission and still one of my best friends was turning 22 when he went on his mission, he later became a zone leader and an Assistant to the President(for those that care about ranks other than the important ones! I wouldn't want you to think either of us were disobedient lazy missionaries ) he loved the people he taught so much and he loved those around him he just got married in the San Diego temple to a beautiful girl and they have a happy life together) if you're thinking about going and have a desire to go and share that special testimony of the Everlasting Gospel of Jesus Christ and to let them know that he still loves us and cares abbot us and wants us all back with him, that he has come down and given the fullness of it to us through the prophet Joseph Smith man I think heavenly father has got room for you and he may be preparing people even now to listen to you when you go! a little advice tho.... If you feel you're not good with God or you have a stupor of thought about something you're doing as your friend who's never met you I would plead with you to: pause for a second., prepare yourself to listen to the Spirit, and then ask for an answer from the The One Person who knows all bro. His Spirit will give you an answer you just gotta be in tune to receive it! Isn't that what Joseph Smith did? You just be sure to be true to your answer when you get it! Don't let other people shake you that's not for someone who has a strong testimony in something (laugh)!

Edited Message Edited...
Persephone: Please keep your messages free from extra characters / slang / shorthand that are not alpha / numeric (numeric should be for stats) while using good grammar. You will notice most Posts here are written without the use of 'chopped words', excessive smilies, slang, dialect(s) or Teeny Bopper scribbles. As an example "2" should not be substituted for "to" or "u" for "you" or "+" for "plus" in sentences. See Constructive Posting Policy.

Edited Message Edited...
Persephone: Please use the Offtopic Tags so that the Thread maintains the SAME subject matter and does not develop into another Topic. See Constructive Posting Policy.

2nd Nov, 2010 - 12:27pm / Post ID: #

Wisdom Word and Marijuana Mormons

Besides all your foolish ranting I don't see anywhere in your scribbles a basis for disobeying the Word of Wisdom and smoking weed.

2nd Nov, 2010 - 12:44pm / Post ID: #

Mormons, Marijuana & The Word Of Wisdom

international QUOTE (Sweet Lou @ 2-Nov 10, 9:55 AM)
Anyways I really believe that we shouldn't lean unto our own understanding but to trust in the Lord he will direct each and every one of us individually to the collective good!

It's interesting that you started your post this way because the church position in non-medical marijuana is clear so are you basically saying that despite this (you know the leaders you probably sustained) the Lord is particularly approving the use of weed for you and your wife?

international QUOTE
Sometimes we forget that other people are in different situations than we are. Thats probably why God will judge us (not Suzie!(laugh) just kiddin Suzie you're cool!) If it was up to me I would want as many old friends family members and people in my earthly life to get the best eternal reward possible.

It seems like I hit a sensitive spot. You know I agree with the whole concept of caring for each other you know what I am saying? Love each other, support each other, etc NOW that doesn't mean I will support the use of weed for non-medical purposes just because I love ya as my brother in Christ. I condemn the use of weed for "fun" doesn't mean I hate those who disobey.

international QUOTE
I think anything can be abused I think its so pathetic that a simple plant sparks so much contention even in our own people. Personally I think any way you use marijuana can be interpreted by another person as having a medicinal or therapeutic application so its up to you and how you feel about it. How come people don't get so worked up about stuff thats way sketchy but completely legal?  Its a freaking plant!

Are you a doctor? Do you have a prescription? THAT'S what is called the medical use of marijuana and NOT when you are playing doc and use it when you have a headache. So that "simple plant" if NOT used with a prescription and approved by your Bishop can keep you away from the Temple...it isn't a "simple plant" anymore through this perspective, don't you think?

international QUOTE
  Plus weed in my experience is only fun with other real good friends. I don't want to be the lame Pothead smoking a doobie by myself or in secret. But man if I was in California. In a post November 2 2010 where weed was legal , my wife was fine with it and I couldn't sleep had some pain or just needed some laughs gimme the brownie, pass the vaporizer, and light up a fatty full of fellowship and fun!

This is exactly what I am talking about and my whole point in all my messages within this thread. There are many people out there (members) who use it for "fun" regardless of the Church position about it ...hey it's their lives eh but when they are trying to disguise it as "medical" or tried to be mixed as both ("pain" AND "fun") then I think is very hypocritical and they seem to be pass feeling.

Don't take it personal but I don't think you are seeing the implications of using marijuana for "fun" or maybe you do and you don't care. Whatever it is, I wish you well and I hope things work out for you, whether you are a returned missionary or a GA doesn't mean a thing to me, it does concern me the approach and thought process you have been giving to this topic, kind of scary. I wish you well.

Reconcile Edited: SuzieSu on 2nd Nov, 2010 - 12:47pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 7th Nov, 2010 - 1:34am / Post ID: #

Mormons Marijuana & Word Wisdom - Page 9

Name: Douglas

Comments: Regardless of "legality" at the Federal and/or one's state's level, one should examine his/her motives for using cannabis.
If the motive is that it's the best way to treat pain/depression/lack of appetite, then by all means use it with discretion.
If you just want to get high, then you're fooling yourself but not the One that you will be judged by.
Frankly, I feel that marijuana and ANY other chemical should be legalized. Period. AFAIC, it's every ADULT's God-given right to screw up their own bodies by eating, drinking smoking, injection, abrading, taking rectally, or inhaling whatever substance they see fit. IMO, it's part and parcel of what being an adult is all about. As well as being responsible for the consequences, both to one's self and others.
Still, the "Yes on 19" bumper sticker sported on my old clunker diesel Mercedes didn't go over well when spotted by several of my fellow ward members when I drove it to Church. They think that advocacy of legalization is also advocacy of utilization. Nothing could be further from the truth for myself. Absent any condition that would require medical marijuana, I've done w/o since age 19 (I'm 51) and don't foresee ever using it again. And NEVER any other recreational drug.

Post Date: 12th Nov, 2010 - 2:29am / Post ID: #

Mormons Marijuana & Word Wisdom Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 9

Name: Jeffery

Comments: I have been Mormon my entire life, both sides of my family are deep in the religion and all of my large family has gone on missions and most have married returned missionaries. I started smoking cannabis after I graduated high school in '08, and doing it everyday for most of it. I think that its the best thing since sliced bread honestly. I believe it is for everything; cloth, food, oil, medicine, and for everyone, its one of the safest substances out there being even safer than aspirin or caffeine. its been around and used since forever. only until the turn of the 19th century that negative associations and sigmas are placed on cannabis. its mentioned in genesis

international QUOTE
"And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so."
d&c 89, the WOW, says
international QUOTE
"And again, verily I say unto you, all wholesome a herbs  God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man - Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving."
I believe cannabis is the greatest untapped plant and I am sad when others have strong negative views when it has such great potential. I have seen in my own life that I have found
international QUOTE
"wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures".

> TOPIC: Mormons, Marijuana & The Word Of Wisdom

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,