Primary Children Eating In Class

Primary Children Eating Class - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 23rd Apr, 2007 - 10:22pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 

?
Poll: Do you think it is okay for Primary Teachers to give out snacks to Primary Children on Sundays?
  Yes       12.50%
  Yes, but only if authorized by me       12.50%
  No, unless it is a special occassion       50.00%
  No       25.00%
Total Votes: 8
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
21st Apr, 2007 - 2:28pm / Post ID: #

This is something I witness each Sunday, big kids eating snacks and drinking drinks like it is a picnic while the teacher is trying to present a lesson. I do not allow Felipe to do this, I tell him he is a big kid now and already had breakfast, there is no need to eat food now, it is time to listen and learn about God.

What are your thoughts on this?

Sponsored Links:
21st Apr, 2007 - 2:41pm / Post ID: #

Class Eating Children Primary

This is a very common "trend" in Primary everywhere, it is not only food but CANDIES...what in the world are they thinking in giving kids sugar at that time of the morning? shocked.gif' /><!--endemo--><br /><br />In the manual find the exact quote but I couldn't). I haven't seen the Handbook of Instructions concerning this matter (maybe JB you could find out) but for what I heard it specifically says food should be used only ocassionally IF the lesson somehow requires it. Of course, nursery is a different matter.

I think teachers should have rules to ensure the big kids do not eat during class, Primary is not a Restaurant. If they are hungry, the parents could remove the kids from the class and feed them and then return to the class but most parents do not want to be bothered.

It is annoying to hear the other kids now looking at the one eating and not listening to the class, and what is more...say they are hungry now too! *shaking head*

This is an article I found about it:

https://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art7578.asp

22nd Apr, 2007 - 3:06am / Post ID: #

Primary Children Eating In Class Studies Doctrine Mormon

I think it is common to use food and candy as a bribe to get the kids to behave. I can understand the temptation to do this, considering how some of them act. Our primary President doesn't allow it. I'm sure this is wise, so the children can focus on the lesson and to encourage the Spirit.

22nd Apr, 2007 - 3:21am / Post ID: #

Valla, we need your Primary President here to show that food does not need to be used. I start my first class tomorrow, and although I had planned to make leaflets with a little note reminding parents about the food being left outside of the classroom I think I will first 'play it by ear', find out how our Primary President thinks about it and then initiate action.

UPDATE: Yikes! I just checked the lesson and it actually suggests to share a healthy snack with the children! They do ask that you first check with the parents to see if they have any allergies.

22nd Apr, 2007 - 5:42pm / Post ID: #

JB, that's because the class was about the Word of Wisdom and the use of a healthy snack was to encourage the kids proper eating habits. Food is a distraction during the lesson. Felipe once again by seeing others eating and with food in their hands stated many times he was hungry, it is frustrating at times.

As a matter of fact, I was coming out of the bathroom and I saw one mom and her kid with a backpack. It has soft drinks, chocolate milk, chips, pop-corn and candy. shocked.gif' /><!--endemo--> And the mother told the kid to get ready to go to class by asking him: choose what snack you want to take for this class". *laughs* And he said "I want pop-corn and chocolate milk". She quickly take it out from the bag and said "There you go, go now".

23rd Apr, 2007 - 7:18am / Post ID: #

In our area, it's quite common for the Primary teachers to give the kids a snack when class is over. I don't know if it's a bribe or not, but I've always thought it was inappropriate. I don't provide anything like that when I substitute in classes for the older kids. For the little ones in nursery or Sunbeams, they are still learning self-control and I think they really do get hungry so small "nibblers" are okay for them.

Older kids are certainly mature enough to go the full three hour block without food, in my opinion. Bringing a backpack full of snacks for each class hour is ridiculous! I can't imagine trying to teach a class whilst one kids is eating popcorn and drinking chocolate milk. I'm mean enough I would take it from him and tell his parents it's forbidden.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
23rd Apr, 2007 - 12:58pm / Post ID: #

Primary Children Eating Class

QUOTE (FarSeer @ 23-Apr 07, 3:18 AM)
I'm mean enough I would take it from him and tell his parents it's forbidden.

laugh.gif Under what grounds? Primary is not military school. I think the best thing to do is make some copies for the parents and let them know food is not encouraged during class and if they are hungry, they can take the kids out of the class to feed them.

23rd Apr, 2007 - 10:22pm / Post ID: #

Primary Children Eating Class Mormon Doctrine Studies

Under what grounds?
Aren't the teachers able to make some ground rules for their own classroom? I think in my area most parents would respect some rules from the teacher, if they are fair. In fact, it would seem unfair to the other children not to make this rule. What is the practice in school? Do they do this in school too?

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Primary Children Eating In Class

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,