Vegetarianism - Page 4 of 7

Hi LDS-Forever, Ever grown some tomatoes in - Page 4 - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 14th Aug, 2010 - 2:03am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

?
Poll: What kind of Vegetarian are you now or will you like to be?
  1. Pescatarian (also spelled pescetarian) - no meat save fish       7.69%
  2. Flexitarian / Semi-vegetarian - occasional meat       23.08%
  3. Lacto-ovo- vegetarian - no meat but yes for dairy / eggs       30.77%
  4. Lacto-vegetarian - no meat, no eggs but yes for dairy       7.69%
  5. Ovo-vegetarian - no meat, no dairy - yes eggs       7.69%
  6. Vegan - no meat, no dairy, no eggs       23.08%
Total Votes: 13
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Best of  Vegetarianism
9th Aug, 2010 - 5:22pm / Post ID: #

Vegetarianism - Page 4

LDS-Forever
I had to smile when you stated that you do not know many recpies. I remember when I went raw. I stuck my head into the fridge and did not know what to eat besides carrot sticks and salads. And here all these veggies were staring at me so to speak.

It a matter of a learning curve. Try some of the books I mentioned, I just take it a step at a time. Slowly over time incorporate more vegetarian dishes into your diet and just see how your body reacts.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 10th Aug, 2010 - 12:40am / Post ID: #

Vegetarianism

Name: Mike

Comments: There isn't enough amino acids available in a vegetarian diet. Eat a piece of meat, some eggs or milk and you have it all right there. The human body doesn't manufacture amino acids so we have to get it from somewhere. If we don't then our muscles start to break down.

10th Aug, 2010 - 1:45am / Post ID: #

Vegetarianism Health & Special Psychology

Mike even though is true that not all amino acids are presents in a vegetarian diet, keep in mind that a varied vegetarian diet means a mixture of proteins is eaten, the amino acids in one protein compensating for the deficiencies of another. There is really not a problem, it just happens that with a piece of meat you get all the essential ones in one piece.

11th Aug, 2010 - 1:20am / Post ID: #

Page 4 Vegetarianism

Mike,
If that is true, how is it that I am still alive after 40 years eating vegetarian? Or what about cows, giraffe, rhino, elephants? Where do they get their amino acids from? If your statement was correct, these big magnificent animals should not have any muscles. If I would lack tryptophan I would become depressive. But trypophan is found in hemp sseds, pumpkin seeds, bee pollen, spirulina, blue-green algae, chlorella, goji berries, cacao, maca root, and wolfberries. So it comes down to balanced eating.

Yes, LDS-Forever is totally correct. And there was a time that we thought that it all had to be eaten at the same meal. That turned out to be inaccurate.

Sprouts for example are exellent for trace minerals and amino acids. Of course they are very high in enzymes as well which all cooked foods lack.

13th Aug, 2010 - 2:44am / Post ID: #

Vegetarianism

Hi Robert. It seems like I am more and more leaning towards a semi-vegetarian diet, not sure if by choice or forced to. Let me explain...

The meat quality where I live is very poor, yesterday I went to the mall and bought grilled chicken to find BLOOD near the bone when I started cutting it.

It was disgusting!

13th Aug, 2010 - 3:44pm / Post ID: #

Vegetarianism

Hi LDS-FOREVER,
Well, I don't know if you have ever been in a slaughterhouse? A lot of people will have a rude awakening. I have watched documentaries on TV about the whole distribution chain of eggs and the fact that they are not always kept refrigerated, time periods lapsed etc. The incentive to dispose just is not there and worth taking a risk. And to be fair that holds true with the whole food chain. We hire certain people to pick our veggies, who might squat in the fields and you can have an E-coli problem on your hands. Hence if you are in a situation to grow your own stuff, go for it. We did when living in British Columbia, Canada. My step-son who used to be a chef told me several times, if you know what happens in a kitchen, you will never visit a restaurant again.

In the olden days, to eat a chicken was not that bad. Free range, proper feeding, catching worms and what ever they find. Not stuffed in little cages. They were in their natural environment. You knew what you were eating. Today, it is a very different story plus they are so cramped, their stress levels are so high, meaning the body/brain released all kinds of chemicals into their blood stream and it ends up on your plate. The commandment of "Take good care of it" has been tossed out of the window and replaced by profit objectives.

Ever read the ingredients of muffins, ice cream? In the end each of us is responsible for our own health. We all have our agency, I have seen too many seniors sitting in a nursing home in a wheel chair on the side of a hallway staring in nowhere land. I believes you lay the foundation of your future health by what you do and eat today. Where you are today is determined by your choices in the past. We tend to think, oh well, this one soda is OK. Or this one time deep fried fries is not going to kill me. True it is not right away but over the years it will. Then to justify our actions we point to a very few people that lived till age 100 and lived like there was no tomorrow. Take Hugh Heffner, I have not figured out how he managed to get to age 84 and still be alive.

In any case, the amount of knowledge that we have today is just awesome. I just bought a marvelous book: The Raw Food Revolution Diet. Recipes are not complex. Just try one or two each week. You do not have to be a 100 % raw, just eat a little better and then listen to your body.

Gosh, we are amazingly put together.

P.S. Animal products are highly acidic.

Robert

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
13th Aug, 2010 - 5:43pm / Post ID: #

Vegetarianism - Page 4

Hi Robert, I come from a country where we eat a lot of meats (beef particularly), every day. Since I got married that changed a lot due to the fact that meat (like I said before) isn't as good as back home however, I don't see myself missing it too much but when I go out I usually like to have a piece of chicken (no beef) to eat with my meal. But again, you are a victim of whatever they serve you and here costumer service is poor so....

I will love to start growing my own food, specially tomatoes! I hope to do it once I get my own home.

14th Aug, 2010 - 2:03am / Post ID: #

Vegetarianism Psychology Special & Health - Page 4

Hi LDS-Forever,
Ever grown some tomatoes in a planter?
I live in Las Vegas and have a number of raised beds with screens over it to reflect the sun.

The other day our dog (Bouvier des Flanders a 100 lbs dog) "Bouv" dug up my herb bed and a number of my tomato and basil plants. Holes like the size of a crater.

She has been banned to outer darkness. (The house). (laugh). It was actually funny. I should have known as she loves, brussel sprouts, broccoli, and carrots.

And they are a man's best friend eh?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

> TOPIC: Vegetarianism

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,