White Foreigners In Trinidad - Page 3 of 9

QUOTE (JoePublic @ 25-Nov 09, 3:20 PM) Comments: - Page 3 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 25th Nov, 2009 - 7:45pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (9) »
Another what if I want to live in Trinidad Thread...
25th Nov, 2009 - 4:42pm / Post ID: #

White Foreigners In Trinidad - Page 3

Avani, I wish you well with your move to Canada. Three family members killed in three years? Wow, that's very scary.

About the whole "white" thing, I think the term is used very loosely here particularly if you're fair skinned and you are not African or East Indian descendant. Of course, it's odd how it is used here.

Rather off topic, but...
Since you mentioned you come from a Jewish family, please feel free to reply to this thread if you are interested:

Source 1

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 25th Nov, 2009 - 5:00pm / Post ID: #

Trinidad Foreigners White

Name: Avani

Comments: Thank you, best of luck to you guys!

One more thing Trinidad is ranked 5th in the world for crime per ca pita, I saw that last week very frightening.

25th Nov, 2009 - 5:09pm / Post ID: #

White Foreigners In Trinidad Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

I wonder who invented the whole "local white" term? Is it an old or a recent term? I would assume due to the many races here most people (including local whites) are very mixed.

Rather off topic, but...
Avani, Thanks, my family and I would love to migrate too but with all the recent changes in immigration in Canada (38 professions, etc) our skills are not in that list so we have to put up with what "sweet T&T" has to offer for now. Please feel free to register and share your views, we have many threads concerning crime and other controversial issues in the country.

Post Date: 25th Nov, 2009 - 6:13pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Trinidad Foreigners White

Comments: LDS_forever to be honest the local white term, were for white families who have been here for a few generations but it also means in Trini terms " They are white but not white white" (related to skin color - they have a nice tan)

I know "local whites" who are "full" whites and most are but are quite tanned and you know thats the beauty of the human body to adapt. E.g I have two friends, blond hair, blue eyes but so tanned, that they cannot "past" for whitesint the US but their olive tones more like some Puerto Ricans.

I also, know 1st generation whites or immigrant whites who will not marry any white family here or Hispanics even though they may be visibly white but thats the rare exception.

A few years ago, I had some friends who went to University in New York and admin refused to believe they were white and I believe they put Hispanic on their forms, when they came back from University we use to laugh and call them "Pedro" and 'Mariah", there parents are white and they come from a prominent white family from here.

Rather off topic, but...
As for Canada, the best way is to use a Lawyer, to advise you, if you loose they will appeal. Don't go in by yourself after the changes. It is very possible to get thru. Also, if you go to do a Masters up there you can spend up to 3 years after. My advise is to find what is needed and build a strategy, to increase your points, eg don't have a degree go to New Brunswick affiliated Royec or slowly push your career path to what is needed up there. To be honest get a lawyer, they will tell you, anything is possible.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please properly format your input - spelling / uppercase letters on Names, etc.

25th Nov, 2009 - 6:27pm / Post ID: #

Trinidad Foreigners White

international QUOTE (JoePublic @ 25-Nov 09, 2:13 PM)
A few years ago, I had some friends who went to University in New York and admin refused to believe they were white and I believe they put Hispanic on their forms, when they came back from University we use to laugh and call them "Pedro" and 'Mariah", there parents are white and they come from a prominent white family from here.

You guys are wicked. laugh.gif The funny thing is Americans are quick to label others who do not measure up to their level of "whiteness"when in fact a lot of them are Italian descendants (in my view, not "white" but Mediterraneans). Also, if they put "Hispanic" based on looks it's ridiculous, one because Hispanic is not a race (there are white, black, Asian, etc Hispanics). The term only refers to your mother tongue and culture which if your friends are Trinidadians does not make any sense.

How does people label you here as a Jewish descendant?

Rather off topic, but...
Thanks for the suggestion.

Post Date: 25th Nov, 2009 - 7:12pm / Post ID: #

White Foreigners In Trinidad
A Friend

White Foreigners In Trinidad

Wow! Avani, thank you so much for your advice and sharing your story. For I am of Jewish descent as well. I will heed your warning well.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 25th Nov, 2009 - 7:20pm / Post ID: #

White Foreigners Trinidad - Page 3

Comments: LDS_forever some people think that I am a Spanish guy and alot of times Syrian as well (which I am not a big fan of being called laugh.gif just joking)on other Occasions white but I am not.

My family were Middle eastern Jews that left Germany after World War 1.

Your right, many Cubans have Italian back grounds, and Argentina is VERY European, its dumb when I hear "I am Hispanic" because like you said being Hispanic is not a race but a cultural concept.

I know a lot of people consider Trinidadian or West Indian a ethnicity in the US, very stupid indeed, Canadians are smarter in that respect because they are more acquainted with Indo and Afro- Trinidadians as well as Anglo-Trinidadians and Arab- Trinidadians who go there to study or migrate.

I have heard of Trinidadians getting in trouble in the US and Canada because of their limited view on race e.g Asking a Indonesian if he is half Chinese and half Indian.
Seeing someone with curly hair and immediately think that he is mixed.
Seeing someone with different features, thicker eyebrows, hairy and calling them 'spanish".

These are are all hilarious stories that I have heard of Trinidadians in North America

25th Nov, 2009 - 7:45pm / Post ID: #

White Foreigners Trinidad Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean - Page 3

international QUOTE (JoePublic @ 25-Nov 09, 3:20 PM)
Comments: LDS_forever some people think that I am a Spanish guy and alot of times Syrian as well (which I am not a big fan of being called laugh.gif just joking)on other Occasions white but I am not.

Yes, I thought they would call you "Syrian". In my case, they think I am Venezuelan (which I am not a big fan of being called and I am not joking laugh.gif )

international QUOTE
its dumb when I hear "I am Hispanic" because like you said being Hispanic is not a race but a cultural concept.

I use Hispanic when I want to make reference to my culture and Latina for everything else. I don't use "Spanish" primarily because like the term "white", "Spanish" is used here very loosely to described anyone who is mixed. I am very surprised at times at some people who describe themselves as "Spanish".

international QUOTE
Seeing someone with curly hair and immediately think that he is mixed.
Seeing someone with different features, thicker eyebrows, hairy and calling them 'spanish".

What about when some locals (non-black or Indo-Trinidadians) speak proper English and they are asked if they are from here? I have seen it happening in my own family. And if you look in a certain way they assume you're wealthy even if you are not. Trinis assume everything based on phenotypes.

Adam, when are you coming to Trinidad? How do you feel about the move? There were several murders involving white foreigners but mostly in Tobago.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (9) »

> TOPIC: White Foreigners In Trinidad

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,