White Foreigners In Trinidad - Page 2 of 9

Name: Avani Comments: Dude stay away from - Page 2 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 25th Nov, 2009 - 4:32pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (9) »
Another what if I want to live in Trinidad Thread...
8th May, 2009 - 11:03pm / Post ID: #

White Foreigners In Trinidad - Page 2

QUOTE (JoePublic @ 8-May 09, 6:12 PM)
You are right: Hispanic is not a race. It refers to culture and ethnicity, BUT modern Hispanics themselves are overwhelmingly of mixed-race heritage. Recent genetic studies show that even Argentines from Buenos Aires are on average 15 to 33% Indian and 5-10% Black, depending on the barrio.

Josh, we have many threads about this issue (feel free to do a search if you wish), let's stick to the topic at hand.

Also, everything is relative. When Trinidad was under the Spanish rule, racial conduct was very relaxed. A light-skinned mulatto can be considered white. This is still true in any Latin nation where the notion of whiteness is applied very liberally.

I am not sure if you're talking about the "old" times or now but let me tell you that light-skinned mulattos or "red" folks (like they're called in Trinidad) are not considered "white" here or anywhere else for that matter, I have no idea where do you get that idea from. Even if they're judged by their phenotypes alone, their hair texture, nose, lips, etc (in most cases) can be a clear sign of mixture with African ancestry.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 3rd Aug, 2009 - 3:25pm / Post ID: #

Trinidad Foreigners White

Name: Harry

Comments: Being "white" and British, living in Trinidad, I have found the people to be delightful. Trini's are generally friendly and warm. They take great delight in teasing foreigners for their cultural differences, but never in a malicious way. You will stick out somewhat being white, but I've never thought it to be much of a problem. Of cause there is crime, wander into the wrong part of P-O-S and you will be asking for trouble, regardless of whether you are black or white. Though on the whole Trinidad is a wonderful place,and I think there are some great opportunities. If I have one criticism of the Trini's it is that they are generally lazy buggers. Compare them to a hard working Pole and you have the laziest kind of West Indiam sloth. Once you learn the meaning of the word "Liming" you will understand the mentality of these fun-loving mailingerers.

Post Date: 4th Aug, 2009 - 10:07am / Post ID: #

White Foreigners In Trinidad Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Name: Jane

Comments: [Harry], my husband is coming over who is also white and British and wanted to know what it was like living in Trinidad. He was also a bit concerned regarding visa extensions. I'm a citizen from Trinidad but never lived there. Hopefully he ticks all the boxes, how did you get to live in Trinidad work permit?

What part are you living in and what is it like?

4th Aug, 2009 - 4:28pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Trinidad Foreigners White

You done already white, so if you want a tip from me about coming here is don't look like a tourist too. You know what I mean? Don't walk around looking like you lost because someone will take advantage of that.

Post Date: 24th Nov, 2009 - 6:15pm / Post ID: #

Trinidad Foreigners White

Name: Bridget

Comments: I was just in Trinidad for a wedding in October. My girlfriend was born there, moved here got married there and has moved back home. I was there for a short time, but I absolutely loved it. I went out till 4am, walked at night with other woman, and went clubbing till all hours of the night. If you are nice, people will be nice to you. Obviously you have ignorant people wherever you go, but if you are nice to people for the most part you will get that in return. People of course judged me at first thinking I am some white American princess.. What they didn't know is I am Canadian, and very outgoing and open minded, once people took the 5 minutes to talk to me, they had nothing but nice things to say about me, their county and how I should go back for Carnival, which I just bought my ticket yesterday, and couldn't be more excited! If you go there with a bad attitude or an attitude like you are better than everyone else, you will of course see how you will be treated. There is a lot of racism in Trinidad between the indian decent and black dencent people, and it is out in the open, unfortunalty I saw this first hand.. But if you ignore it you will be fine.

I love Trinidad... I would move there if I could.. The people food culture music and positive attitude on life is so refreshing compared to the north American life style.

Take a trip there I guarantee you will not want to return back to the U.S.A

Post Date: 24th Nov, 2009 - 11:45pm / Post ID: #

White Foreigners In Trinidad
A Friend

I am going to assume that BAW999 is a serious poster.

People of European decent come to Trinidad all the time. This is nothing new. I personally know of two people from Penal and Fyzabad of East Indian descent who went abroad to study and came back with their European wives and they have settled in quite nicely. When last I checked, nobody bothers them.

Debbie Jacobs, who has an article in one of our daily newspaper who is also caucasian, moved to Trinidad from Ohio. Nobody bothers her. As a matter of fact, you have to get a bulldozer to move her out of Trinidad.

That being said, Trinidad is not going to be everyone's flavor. You just have to visit our lovely shores and make a determination for yourself. As far as your personal safety, don't fall for the hype. I would take the same precaution in Trinidad as I would if I were visiting New York or Chicago.

Reconcile Edited: ruffcutt on 24th Nov, 2009 - 11:48pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 25th Nov, 2009 - 2:00pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

White Foreigners Trinidad - Page 2

I appreciate the comments on this subject because I may have to move out of the US for immigration issues with my Trini wife. I was concerned mostly for our children's safety not mine personally (me being white) or my wife. We have two beautiful children, a 5 year old boy and a 15 year old girl. They would be prime targets for the growing human trafficking trade that is happening in the whole southern hemisphere there not just T&T. Any encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Post Date: 25th Nov, 2009 - 4:32pm / Post ID: #

White Foreigners Trinidad Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean - Page 2

Name: Avani

Comments: Dude stay away from here, I come from a Jewish family and we run successful businesses here, we filed our immigration papers to Canada, should be in after 7 months.
3 family members killed in 3 years.
Our Best friend killed last year opening his business place.
Attempted kidnapping of my sister they kidnapped our managers daughter instead.

The whole thing of "white" in Trinidad is bull[..] alot of what people considered white here will not be considered white at all in the US, so much that a term "local white" is often used here.

Red is also used for people who they call "spanish" here as well, e.g I have really curly hair its funny some people ask me if I am "mixed" and have no idea that I Semetic, very funny here. I also have heard people refer to Arabs as whites when they will definitely not be considered white anywhere in the US or anywhere else. Its not their fault its just that the major races are black or Indian (south Asian) and they associate everything with those features.

Housing - almost 500,000 USD it could run you for a "shitty town house" in a "good area". And trust me you WANT to be in those areas if your moving here.

PLEASE man, do not waste your time, we live in these areas, operate a popular franchise here, have alot real estate, and were giving up all that to leave here.

The crime is Ridiculous, I am going Israel next month on a charity volunteer program, and I feel safer there than in Trinidad.

Also, there is no such thing as service, Government is a waste of [..].

I am born here by the way and getting [..] out, 70% of my friends have gone, some are waiting to get their houses sold but sales has dropped significantly (but not the price).

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Do not submit info here with expletives.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (9) »

> TOPIC: White Foreigners In Trinidad

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,