PBS Frontline Special: The Mormons

Pbs Frontline Special Mormons - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 31st Oct, 2011 - 2:37pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

An unbiased look at the Mormons in the form of a documentary using people both in and out of the Church.
30th Apr, 2007 - 1:15pm / Post ID: #

PBS Frontline is advertising their documentary on the Mormons, to be aired April 30, 2007 and May 1, 2007, from 9-11 p.m. The 6-minute trailer is compelling. I'll be very interested to watch it. This was not produced by the church, but by the PBS "American Experience" division. A comment from an area authority of the church (I'm unsure of the source, it was sent to me via email) about the first two hours of the program:

"While I had hopes that the program would be a fair-minded treatment of the Mormons, I learn instead that it is an 'expose' of the 'wrongs' in Mormon history. It is a smooth but bigoted and unprincipled assault on the Church."

Apparently, the second two hours allows comment from the church and church members. I'm sure a lot of discussion and debate will come from this.

From what I understand, after the program airs on PBS, it will then be available to watch on the website. Here is the link to the trailer: https://www.pbs.org/mormons/

Sponsored Links:
30th Apr, 2007 - 2:25pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Special Frontline PBS

I think that for the ortodox LDS member, some historic events on Church history being exposed in national television may seem way too critical but if there is a balance then is fair game since the facts they will talk about are indeed part of our Church history. Elder Oaks, Elder Packer and President Hinckley are all going to be featured on the shows.

Rather off topic, but...
These are the times I wish I had cable! sad.gif

Post Date: 30th Apr, 2007 - 9:30pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

PBS Frontline Special: The Mormons Studies Doctrine Mormon

MEDIA RESPONDS TO PBS DOCUMENTARIES
See https://www.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/

Few if any television documentaries in recent history have been more keenly anticipated by members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints than the twin programs scheduled for this evening and tomorrow on the PBS network.

3rd May, 2007 - 7:25am / Post ID: #

I just finished watching the first installment of "The Mormons" on the PBS website, and I'm happy to say that they deal fairly with the topics chosen. There are many more topics left out, and I was unhappy with how they brushed aside the priesthood (saying that Joseph Smith created it!). But over all, it was well done, in my opinion. Looking forward to the second half.

Post Date: 3rd May, 2007 - 11:11am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

PBS DOCUMENTARIES LEAD TO VIGOROUS DISCUSSION
See https://www.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/

The four-hour documentary "The Mormons," produced by Frontline and American Experience and aired on PBS in the United States, is generating substantial discussion, with lively debate on Internet blogs about what it means to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Post Date: 31st Oct, 2011 - 2:37pm / Post ID: #

The following people made contributions to the PBS Documentary on the Mormons: Kathleen Flake, Jon Butler, William Morrain, Daniel Peterson, Marlin K. Jensen, Greg Prince, and Sarah Barringer Gordon

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: PBS Frontline Special: The Mormons

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,