Geenie's Blog - Page 2 of 4

CURIOSITY KILLED THE CAT! Have you - Page 2 - Public Member Blogs - Posted: 12th Nov, 2007 - 8:56pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Member Blog
2nd Jun, 2007 - 10:08pm / Post ID: #
Me

Geenie's Blog - Page 2

RAMBLINGS OF A GEENIE

I recently saw on the E! news what really happened behind the scenes on "The View." It was reported that in a green room (this is a room where the guests usually wait, until it is time for them to go on stage), a few ABC employees were staring at the screen and giggling, while Elisabeth and Rosie were arguing. Eventually, the giggles disappeared and this was followed by a deafening silence, when they realised that no one called for a commercial break. According to the E! news, Alicia Silverstone was watching the fight and felt reluctant to go on stage, after her name was called. During a commercial break, it was reported that one of the co-hosts of "The View," Joy, approached a producer of the show and said,
"This is ridiculous! Why didn't someone break for a commercial? This is so embarrassing!"

Well we all thought the dust had settled and things would be back to normal. But this is never the case with a show like "The View." I cannot believe that I have been duped along with millions of viewers. In my last blog, I sang high notes of praise for all the ladies of "The View," concerning how well they coped with the fallout between Elisabeth and Rosie. Barbara Walters quietly stated how she remains very close and affectionate with Rosie and how she exchanged several emails with Rosie over the Memorial weekend. Elisabeth also chimed in and claimed that she and Rosie were beginning a journey heading towards forgiveness. Forgiveness my eye! If you wish to see the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, perhaps you should visit Rosie's website. Clearly, Rosie indicates that the only email that she received from anyone on "The View" was one solitary email from Elisabeth. In fact, on a video blog from Rosie's website, she openly states that she may never speak to Elisabeth Hassellbeck ever again. There was no mention of Barbara Walters' affectionate emails or Elisabeth reaching out to her for forgiveness. A very well orchestrated lie which was beautifully managed and executed by Barbara Walters. After all, the lady was involved in PR at one stage of her life! I believe that Barbara Walters realised that Rosie O'Donnell had a large fan base and it would be prudent, leave a distinct impression with the public that, the ladies of "The View," were all saddened to see Rosie leave so abruptly. To ensure that there will be no misgivings or hard feelings from the audience, Barbara Walters decided to create and sustain an illusion, that all was well between the ladies of "The View" and Rosie O'Donnell.

As usual, Paris Hilton made headlines in the E! news on Wednesday 30 May 2007. According to one report, Paris is experiencing a bout of fear and depression over her jail sentence. Apparently, she is crying a lot, has stopped eating and is in constant communication with her parents. The E! reports that all Paris' friends have turned their backs on her, in her hour of need. Well all except her best friend, Nicole Richie, who is faithfully standing by her side. I thought to myself, well Paris is finally understanding the seriousness of her situation but of course, I was wrong. On the first day of June 2007, there were reports of Paris Hilton making arrangements to have a "Release Party," which occurs on the day that she is released from prison! Perhaps planning a party is therapeutic for her!

Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, Nicole Richie, Paris Hilton and Tara Reid: what do all these lovely celebrities have in common? They all belong to the new generation: Generation Me! So you may ask, what is Generation Me? This new generation refers to individuals who are more narcissistic and self-centred than their predecessors. Professor Jean Twenge of San Diego University claims that children these days are very self-centred and parents need to desist from saying to their kids how special they are. She also claims that parents are urging their kids to continuously repeat these words (you are special) to themselves. I am sure that many of us may remember the famous "wardrobe malfunction" from Tara Reid. Many pictures were taken after Tara's black dress strap slipped off her shoulder, exposing her breast and recent plastic surgery. Later on, Tara Reid confessed to a magazine that the plastic surgeon did not do a professional job on her breast. In this interview, she wistfully claims, "I may never be perfect again!" Celebrities like Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, Nicole Richie, Paris Hilton and Tara Reid all believe that they are special and this gives them the right to live their lives according to how they feel.

The whole world may have noticed that their favourite celebrities (for example, Britney Spears and Paris Hilton) have all experienced great difficulties in maintaining long lasting relationships. According to one study, narcissists tend to have very volatile, romantic relationships that are: short lived; at high risk for infidelity; lacking seriousness, emotional warmth and also, displaying high levels of dishonesty, over controlling and violent behaviour. It is also believed that narcissists also lack empathy, react aggressively to criticism and seem to favour self-promotion over helping others. Professor Twenge blames current technology such as, MYSPACE, YOUTUBE and blogs as tools for encouraging narcissism. Unfortunately, narcissism has very negative consequences for society since it actively contributes, to the breakdown in close relationships with others.

Reconcile Edited: Geenie on 2nd Jun, 2007 - 10:10pm

Add a Comment for Geenie
Sponsored Links:
7th Jun, 2007 - 10:34pm / Post ID: #
Me

Blog Geenies

A GEENIE RANTS

I was watching the new "America's Got Talent," on Tuesday night and I must say that I was very disappointed with the people who auditioned this year. The majority had very mediocre acts and it looked as if Piers Morgan had no patience to tolerate this. He was more brutal than usual. I suppose he was instructed to behave in this way all for the sake of ratings. But I think he is a little too harsh on the kids who auditioned. One memorable act was a cute little girl who did a cheerleading routine. I have to admit that the performance was very poor but I did enjoy watching this girl's enthusiasm. Piers Morgan's comment to the girl was that he hated children who are forced to perform for the sake of winning the million dollar prize for their parents. The nine year old girl watched him directly in his eyes and responded to his cold comment:

"I did this on my own and my mommy helped me!"

I felt very sad that Brandy is no longer a judge on the show since she may be currently facing manslaughter charges. But I do believe that her replacement, Sharon Osbourne was a good choice. Of course, this show would not be a success without controversy. Ms Osbourne considered Piers Morgan's remarks to this cute little girl as "horrific" and she stormed off the stage. After Sharon left, Piers Morgan was forced to run after her and Sharon clearly stated that she refused to do this show and decided to quit. She eventually came out of her room and began to argue with Piers about the way he dismissed kids from the competition. She rebuked him for not showing any compassion and she advised him to be more gentle.

Meanwhile, David Hasslehoff was left alone on the Judges' podium and he jokingly claimed that the show should be renamed, "America's Got Hasslehoff." Eventually Sharon and Piers returned and I was surprised that the little girl was still patiently waiting on the judges. Sharon eloquently apologized for walking out and leaving the contestant there. I almost cried when I heard this adorable girl saying, "that's okay!" She is too sweet! Sharon gently urged the girl to continue to practice but unfortunately, she could not be selected. Piers did not apologize but he did tone down his harsh words a little bit. He informed the contestant that he had three kids and one of them was nine years old just like her. He politely added that if he were here, he would say that his son was not quite ready to qualify for the next round. Those were not his exact words but just the gist of it.

I laughed a lot at the new host, Jerry Springer. He is by far, a better host than last year's. I admired the way he firmly stood up for the contestants when he disagreed with the way Piers Morgan spoke to them. It is nice to see someone who is accustomed hosting a show with the most ridiculous topics that you could ever imagine and brimming over with controversy (I am referring to "The Jerry Springer Show"), to be so gentle and kind to contestants. Jerry Springer is a man full of surprises! I predict that this year, "America's Got Talent" will generate very high ratings because of these latest additions to the show: I am talking about Sharon Osbourne and Jerry Springer, who both seemed prepared to condemn Piers Morgan, for the way he speaks to the younger contestants.

And speaking of amusing, I understand that there is a new show called "Age of Love" which is supposed to air on June 18. I am amazed at the way women are prepared to be exploited and humiliated live on television. This new show operates in a similar vein to "The Bachelor;" only this time, the ladies who are vying for the thirty year old bachelor's affection are twenty six to forty years of age. I still cannot understand why women do not seem to mind being exploited in this way. They are being kissed, groped by a man who may discard them because they were not "worthy enough" for him. Are women so desperate these days to find a companion? I suppose they enjoy the attention that they are receiving from millions of viewers! But I will tell you this, I would never allow myself to be degraded in such a manner by any man or exploited by any television station! I don't care if I am offered a lot of money, my dignity is not for sale!

Let us all bow our heads, take a moment of silence and ask the Almighty for guidance and forgiveness. This country needs more than just prayers! I am referring to the latest scandal: Three Caribbean men were recently charged for conspiring to blow up the JFK airport. I saw the picture of these three old men in the Newsday and I thought to myself, "The Three Faces of Evil." Who would ever imagine that these three men could be capable of planning to commit such a diabolical act! Alas, Trinidad is now referred to as a "hotbed for terrorism!" This country will never be the same now that we have this new "stigma" attached. Well I am grateful that they were caught before anything happened. But it still sends a chill down your spine doesn't it?

Well he entertained us and won our hearts with his calypso, "Too Young To Soca" but these days, he may be singing a different tune. In light of the Zen nightclub incident (no I am not talking about Akon's lewd dancing) Mr Machel Montano was recently slapped (oops no pun intended) with five charges in court earlier on this week. Two counts of assault on Brandis Brown, Russell Pollonais and two counts of assault on Jenelle Le Chee (shame on you Machel for assaulting a woman!), Gerard Bowrin and one count of using obscene language to the annoyance of others. Machel pleaded not guilty to the last three charges. His other partners in crime included Kernel Roberts (son of the late Lord Kitchener), Rodney "Benjai" Le Blanc and Joel "Zan" Fezeck were only charged for assault. These young men all had their bail set at $50,000 each. However, the attorneys for Kernel Roberts and Rodney "Benjai" Le Blanc both requested a reduction in the bail. Fortunately, the magistrate was generous enough to grant their requests so now, Kernel Roberts' and Rodney "Benjai" Le Blanc's bail are now reduced to $25,000 and $30,000 respectively; however, Machel Montano's and Joel "Zan" Fezeck's bail both remain the same.

I suggested in one of my posts that the owner of Zen nightclub should close down for a few months until the negative press ends. But I understand that his nightclub is even more popular than ever! I guess his business benefitted from the negative publicity, after all, he did receive a fair amount of free advertising locally and internationally!

And speaking of international recognition, I have an amusing tale to tell. This anecdote refers to Mr Phillip Wellman, a Mississippi Braves Minor League coach, who was recently ejected from a game last Friday. Apparently, the gentleman did not accept this decision very well. He threw a "John Mc Enroe" tantrum by doing the following: he flung his baseball cap to the ground, pulled out a third base and tossed it into the outfield and for his final dramatic performance, he crawled through the infield and took a resin bag from the pitcher's mound and threw it like a grenade at the umpire. Naturally, he was fined for his tantrum but this did not deter him from instantly becoming, the latest internet video star. If you don't believe me, try looking at this outrageous act on YOUTUBE!

Better late than never. I wish to extend my sincere congratulations to the new Miss Universe, Miss Japan, Riyo Mori. This competition was riddled by a lot of controversy. It was noted that Miss Sweden: Miss Isabel Lestapier Winqvist was forced not to participate in the competition, since the Swedes believed that the competition did not represent modern women. So no one even noticed that Trinidad and Tobago was absent from the competition? I am hurt!

Anyway, Miss Mexico made the top ten finals but failed to qualify for the top five! I guess it was because Miss USA tumbled ahead of her! That's right! Miss USA fell down during the evening gown segment of the competition. I saw this on the YOUTUBE and I have to admit, she did an excellent job of maintaining her grace and elegance, after the fall. However the question remains, how did Miss USA qualify for the top five finals after falling down? I mentioned in one of my posts that it was a rule of the pageant that if a contestant falls down, many marks are deducted and this disqualifies her for the finals. I was challenged to find a website, proving that such a rule exists but think about this. Last year, Miss USA 2006, Miss Tara Conner, almost had her title stripped because of her "inappropriate behaviour." Apparently, Ms Conner got caught up in a whirlwind of New York which included a lot of partying, drinking and I believe, she also used drugs! Was she stripped of her title? No! Mr Donald Trump, co-owner of the Miss Universe Organization listened to Miss Tara Conner's explanation and forgave her, ordered her to enter a rehabilitation centre and warned her if she was too weak to become clean and sober, someone else would replace her. Now are there any rules online which indicates that this is allowed? No! If the rules of the pageant were available online then the judges' decisions would be in question all the time. It would be a public relations nightmare! And of course, there would be no room to relax the rules as the need arises.

Well I consider it to be unfair that Miss USA, Miss Rachel Smith qualified for the top five finals. Apparently, the Mexicans have a special way of communicating their disapproval. They actually booed Miss USA during the interviewing segment of the competition. My goodness and I always believed that Skinner Park had a tough audience! I must confess that I admired the way Miss USA handled this negativity from the Mexicans. She is one strong lady. She smiled, answered the question and won over the Mexicans by warmly saying, Buenas noches Mexico y muchas gracias! Hats off to you Miss USA 2007, for being very mature and courageous enough to tolerate such hostility!

Reconcile Edited: Geenie on 7th Jun, 2007 - 10:41pm

Add a Comment for Geenie
10th Jun, 2007 - 11:24pm / Post ID: #
Me

Geenie's Blog Blogs Member Public

THE PARIS HILTON SAGA

Paris Hilton is the media's latest obsession. This socialite willingly travels all over the world to attend lavish parties and also, to purchase the best designer clothes that money can buy. Nothing seems to hold her attention very long, on a personal or professional level. All her relationships with men begin in a whirlwind of romance and usually burns out, after a short space of time. Her projects may indicate her longing for a career but once she learns about the work and commitment involved, her interest dies a very sudden death. In her television series, "The Simple Life," she is portrayed as a lazy, misguided individual, who enjoys creating mischief, without considering the consequences of her actions. Perhaps this is one of her biggest problem: not understanding the seriousness of her actions or how it affects others.....

The latest Paris Hilton saga began on Thursday 7 September 2006, when a police officer stopped and arrested her for DUI. It was reported that her blood alcohol level was 0.08 percent, which was the minimum to warrant an arrest. On Thursday 28 September 2006, she pleaded no contest to reckless driving and was sentenced to thirty six months' probation, alcohol education and $1,500.00 in fines. A few months later, Miss Hilton was stopped again by a police officer for DUI and this time, her driver's license was suspended. After a short space of time, she was stopped by a police officer and after it was discovered that she was driving on a suspended license, she was summoned to appear before Superior Court Judge Michael T. Sauer. Miss Hilton offered the explanation of her manager not explaining to her properly about her driver's license being suspended. The judge was not convinced and ordered Miss Hilton to serve a forty five day sentence, in a L.A. County jail. In his sentence, Judge Sauer clearly specified that he did not wish Miss Hilton to serve the sentence in a "pay" jail or at home with a monitoring device. Subsequent to this sentence, the manager for Paris Hilton was fired and then re-hired. The manager for Miss Hilton made a statement to the press and tried to convince the world that, Miss Hilton spoke the truth in court and he accepted full responsibility, for not explaining to Miss Hilton about her suspended driver's license.

Paris Hilton seemed desperate and even appealed to the Governor, Mr Arnold Schwarzenegger, for a pardon. In his first response to her request, he urged her to explore all her legal options. When asked by the media about Paris Hilton's request for a pardon, Mr Schwarzenegger stated that he had more important matters to focus on. Ouch! Eventually, the Judge reduced Miss Hilton's sentence from forty five days to twenty three days. After this was done, Paris Hilton issued a statement to the press that her lawyers would not be appealing her sentence.

On Sunday 3 June 2007, Miss Hilton attended the MTV Awards show and it was speculated that, Miss Hilton was suppose to present an award on the show but left early because when Sara Silverman made a joke about her going to jail, it was received with a loud applause and cheers of approval from the audience. The E! News showed a videotape of Miss Hilton being transported in a car, crying with her mother by her side, while going to L.A. County jail, at approximately 11 pm.

On Thursday 7 June 2007, there was a news flash about Paris Hilton being released from prison during the wee hours of Thursday morning. It was reported that the reason for her sudden release was due to her medical condition. Viewers learnt that Miss Hilton would continue the remainder of her sentence at her home, with a monitoring device attached on her ankle. More speculation continued about Miss Hilton's serious medical condition: some claimed that it was a rash since she had herpes and other reporters joked about the condition being so serious that her hair extensions were falling out.

Sheriff Lee Baca held a press conference on Thursday 7 June 2007 at approximately 6:30 pm. He claimed that he never knew who Paris Hilton was until she arrived on Sunday 3 June 2007. (This serves to put to rest all rumours about Lee Baca being "star struck" or showing preferential treatment towards Miss Hilton.) He explained to the media that there were many instances where prisoners were released for minor offenses due to overcrowding. He also claimed that when Paris Hilton entered the L.A. County jail, they were not aware of her medical condition. He voiced his concern for the rapid deterioration of Miss Hilton's mental state and based on a doctor's assessment of her mental health, he believed that it would be in the best for Miss Hilton to serve the rest of her sentence at her home, with a monitoring device attached to her ankle. He claimed that this was the only reason why she was released and it was not done to undermine the Judge's authority.

On Friday 8 June 2007, there was a lot of confusion between Judge Sauer and Paris Hilton. Judge Sauer summoned for Miss Hilton to appear in court and apparently, Miss Hilton thought that she could do the court proceedings via telephone. As a result of this "misunderstanding," Miss Hilton was two hours late for her court appearance. It was widely reported that Judge Sauer was not amused about Miss Hilton's early release and the change in her sentence. Judge Sauer made it abundantly clear that he never authorized this release or change in sentence. He reminded attorneys that he specifically did not want Miss Hilton to serve her sentence at home with a monitoring device or in a pay jail. It was claimed that last week, he received a call stating that there were medical documents to be submitted but they never arrived. The Judge sarcastically stopped the proceedings every few minutes, to indicate the time and also state that the medical documents were not delivered. Miss Hilton's attorneys requested permission to discuss with the Judge about Miss Hilton's medical condition, in the privacy of his chambers. This request was denied and the Judge ordered Miss Hilton to return to L.A. County jail, where she will serve the original sentence of forty five days. Miss Hilton did not accept this news very well as she cried, screamed and called for her mother. Miss Hilton's attorneys plan to appeal this ruling next week.

In the latest news, it was reported that Miss Hilton was kept in the medical ward of the Twin Towers Detention Centre, where she is being closely monitored for medical and psychiatric evaluation, which will determine the best jail for her condition. Apparently Miss Hilton was crying a lot, refused to eat and was depressed. But on Saturday 9 June 2007, Miss Hilton had a change of heart and claimed to be "learning and growing" from her time behind bars. She also released the following statement through one of her attorneys:

"Today, I told my attorneys not to appeal the judge's decision," Hilton said in the statement. "While I greatly appreciate the sheriff's concern for my health and welfare, I intend to serve my time at L.A. County Jail."

Well good for her! Let us hope that this time, she is being sincere!

Reconcile Edited: Geenie on 10th Jun, 2007 - 11:35pm

Add a Comment for Geenie
11th Jun, 2007 - 8:00pm / Post ID: #
Me

Page 2 Blog Geenies

THE PARIS HILTON SAGA CONTINUES

Paris Hilton's case has sparked a lot of controversy in the news and especially in shows like Nancy Grace on CNN. Ms Grace interviewed a defense attorney, who claimed that it was convenient for Paris Hilton, to develop a serious medical condition in a space of three days. This is an interesting comment which has been on all of our minds and it raises a lot of questions. What was Paris Hilton's medical condition? Why wasn't this condition indicated in court by her attorneys? Who has more authority, the Judge or the Sheriff? Does the Sheriff have the power to release anyone from prison without informing the Judge? Since when is the doctor considered a "get out of jail free card?" Is it a norm for people with serious medical conditions to be released from their sentence early?

There has been a lot of speculation about what this "serious medical condition" is. The E!news claims that a so called close friend of Paris Hilton is saying that she is claustrophobic! But we will never know until there someone leaks this "highly confidential" information to the press. But I would not be the least bit surprised if this was the mysterious medical condition. It makes a lot of sense to me because now it may shed some light on why this information was kept from the public. It would create a further uproar and many may even find this laughable. But what makes this case even more intriguing is Miss Hilton hired four attorneys, why didn't one of them raise this "medical condition" with the Judge before she was incarcerated? That seems very suspicious to me! Looks as if Miss Hilton is trying to wiggle her way out of a serious situation. It would not be the first time. In "The Simple Life," I am sure many of us may remember the different ways that Miss Hilton avoided work. She would use a feminine wiles or deliberately do things to upset her employer. Could this theory be applicable to her current situation? It is difficult to believe anything when she portrays herself as someone who completely surrenders to a sybarite lifestyle.

A medical condition is not always serious enough, to excuse a person from a jail sentence. There are many individuals who suffer from Herpes, Aids and they all go to jail. There are also women who are pregnant and they are allowed to give birth in a medical facility and are sent right back to jail. However, according to Gilbert Geis, a professor of Criminology, Law and Society at the Unversity of California Irvine, the closest to a release for a prisoner is, if he is approaching death, he may be confined to a hospital bed. Professor Geis further argues:

"Most medical releases depend on the facility, the seriousness of the medical condition and the likelihood that the person will violate the law again and hurt someone else...For a young woman, or any young person, this is very, very unusual."

But since when is the doctor considered a "get out of jail free card?" Judge Sauer mentioned on Friday 8 June that he remembers receiving a phone call concerning Miss Hilton's medical condition and he is still waiting to see the documents pertaining to this matter. So apparently, the doctor's assessment may have considerable weight on the Judge's decision but I suppose that it should be considered as a very, very serious condition. Perhaps if it is a condition that is treatable, I don't see why the prisoner cannot be allowed to take his/her medication behind bars. Or if it becomes necessary, allow the psychiatrist to visit the prisoner on a daily or weekly basis, as the need arises. I thought that Sheriff Lee Baca's argument about being concerned for Miss Hilton's mental health, after consulting with her doctor was a little too weak to convince me. If her mental health was deteriorating so rapidly, why didn't he transfer her to the treatment facility? Sending her home arouses many suspicions and leads many to believe that this plan was hatched by Miss Hilton's attorneys.

I am sure that it is obvious in all our minds that the Judge has the more authority over the Sheriff. It is interesting to note that Sheriff Lee Baca claims that this is not the first time that he has released a prisoner before serving his/her full sentence. The media is calling this a power struggle between the Judge and the Sheriff with Paris Hilton caught in the cross fire.

My theory is that this could be an elaborate set up by Paris Hilton's parents and attorneys. I believe that Miss Hilton was advised to report to jail very early, which may lead to a further reduction in her sentence. I would not doubt that she couldn't handle the confinement of prison but I find it very difficult to believe that there is indeed a serious medical condition. I think Paris Hilton was instructed to starve herself and behave as if she were on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Her psychiatrist also played an integral role since he was the one to examine her and determine her state of mind. He also had to inform the Sheriff the reason behind her rapid deterioration of her mental health. Maybe he even recommended that Miss Hilton should be released and perhaps serve her sentence at home. It is interesting to note that Paris Hilton only served three full days but it was indicated that she reported to jail on Sunday 3 June in the night and was released during the wee hours of Thursday morning. Therefore, Sunday and her time served at home on Thursday were included and credited to her sentence! This means that she will only serve the remainder of her sentence, that is, forty days. Unbelievable!

There are a lot of conflicting reports concerning Miss Hilton's current state of mind. On Saturday 9 June 2007, it was reported on the fox news online that Miss Hilton instructed her attorneys not to appeal the case and she is willing to serve her sentence. However, on CNN news last night, there is a report that spells a different story. It appears that Miss Hilton is very depressed, crying and refusing to wear the jail attire (orange and brown jumpsuit). I suppose that is why Kathy Hilton contacted her good and very close friend, Miss Barbara Walters!

Today on "The View," it appears that Miss Walters was asked to do some damage control for the Hiltons. Miss Walter claims that Kathy Hilton contacted her yesterday afternoon at 3pm, to explain a few things concerning her daughter, Paris. Apparently, the famous outburst in court, which Paris Hilton is portrayed as a spoilt brat was misconstrued by the media. According to Kathy Hilton, her daughter wanted to hug her before being taken away and the guard refused. So she cried out that this was not fair. Hence the reason why she kept calling for her mother. While Miss Walters was talking to Kathy Hilton, Paris called. How convenient! So Barbara excused herself and accepted the charges, since it was a collect call. Barbara Walters emphasized that Paris seemed subdued and claimed to be on a spiritual journey. She even stated that God has released her now that she is in prison. Joy, comedienne and co-host of "The View," could not resist the temptation by saying that, the Judge had the power to release her from prison. This cheeky comment brought a lot of applause from the audience. Miss Walters took great lengths to convince the audience that while talking to Paris Hilton on the phone, she never once complained or whined. Elisabeth Hassellbeck, carelessly mentioned that Paris Hilton's grandfather, supported and donated to Sheriff Lee Baca's campaign. Hmmm very interesting! Ms Walters immediately became defensive and politely informed Elisabeth that most celebrities contribute to campaigns. Barbara Walters did a magnificent job is snuffing out Elisabeth's information on Sheriff Lee Baca by cleverly turning the subject on her. Ms Walters claimed that she knew Sheriff Lee Baca personally and he was a good man. Naturally, all the ladies of "The View" including special guest star, Kim Coles, all made an amusing sound and began to tease Miss Walters.

It is difficult to determine the fact from fiction. So many reports are being circulated about Paris Hilton behaving like a spoilt brat in the treatment centre and yet, Kathy Hilton and Barbara Walters highlight a different story. We have to remember that the media and celebrities all have different agendas. The media usually claims to be the one revealing the truth to the public. However, there are many instances whereby the media is found guilty of manipulating the truth to their advantage. After all, lies do sell more newspapers, magazines and may mean higher ratings for different stations. Also, the media knows that they can get away with distortion since they conveniently twist the facts and sow seeds of doubt in the viewer's minds. The media also delivers what we want to hear rather than believe. On the other hand, celebrities sometimes fiercely guard their image even thought they know that it is just an illusion. They create themselves in a favourable light or sometimes in a not so popular image that may evoke more attention from the public. Celebrities often use the media to their advantage too. They receive assistance from the media to sustain this illusion but sometimes, the media may turn on the celebrities very suddenly, like a pack of hungry hyenas. Or as Nicolette Sheridan once said:

"One moment, they build you up and put you on a pedestal and the following day, they will tear you down!"

I suspect that the Hiltons are working overtime on doing damage control for Paris Hilton. I suppose it would not hurt to enlist assistance from influential friends like Barbara Walters. Self Preservation is the key word here.

Add a Comment for Geenie
21st Jun, 2007 - 11:33pm / Post ID: #
Me

Blog Geenies

A PRINCE OF YOUR DREAMS

Today the handsome, charming Prince William is now twenty five years old! [b]Happy Birthday Your Highness! I read a report online that Prince William is entitled to part of the inheritance that his mother, the late Princess Diana, left him. According to the Fox News, the late Princess Diana left her son Prince William a sum of $13 million dollars. Now that Prince William is twenty five years old, he is entitled to the interest and other income accrued on the $13 million dollars. When he turns thirty, Prince William will be entitled to the full amount of his inheritance! It is speculated that the money he receives today could be about $500,000 to $600,000 a year. Turning twenty five also means a little more freedom for Prince William; he can get married without the consent of his grandmother. HOORAY!

I am sure many viewers watched the highly anticipated interview of Princess Diana's two sons, Prince William and Prince Harry. This interview was conducted by Matt Lauer of NBC and was aired on Monday 18 June 2007 at 10 pm in Trinidad! I felt so sad to learn that both Princes were very young when they lost their mother to a tragic accident about ten years ago. Prince William was fourteen and Prince Harry was only twelve when their mother died.

Prince William wore a long sleeved light blue shirt with a chocolate brown trousers, whilst Prince Harry wore a long sleeved baby pink shirt with a khaki coloured trousers. If you observed their body language, they looked so relaxed that it seemed as if they were spending quality time with an old friend. At the beginning of the interview, Prince Harry was very loquacious and seemed very willing to answer anything. Prince William sat next to his brother very quietly, chose his words carefully and spoke only when it was necessary. Since their mother died, it was apparent that the two brothers became very close and had each other to lean on. It is interesting to note that Prince William bears a striking resemblance to his famous mother, the late Princess Diana, but has the aloof and conservative personality of his father Prince Charles. On the other hand, Prince Harry, who clearly resembles his father, was warm, outspoken and very charming, just like his mother.

Of course, the questions that Matt Lauer asked were respectful, not personal or invasive. Matt Lauer read a description of Prince William and asked Prince Harry if it was an accurate representation of Prince William. Prince Harry playfully looked at Prince William, as if he was going to say something very mischievous and then laughed. Prince William pretended to be stern with his brother by reminding him how important it was to tell the truth. After the laughter died down, Prince Harry became serious and agreed with the description. Prince Harry even added that Prince William should be considered the more intelligent of the two. He turned to Matt Lauer and stated that he said this because he felt that would be the next question. Matt Lauer reassured him that it wasn't. Prince William playfully turned to Matt Lauer and whispered that Prince Harry was absolutely right. When Matt Lauer asked the brothers about how they felt about people who wished to be friends with them because of their names and who they were. Prince William solemnly said that he would prefer to be with individuals who were interested in him as a person rather than who he was. Prince Harry added that whoever wished to be their friends must be strong and also, bear in mind that they have baggage. Prince William seemed annoyed with this answer and growled at his younger brother:

"Speak for yourself! I have no baggage!"

Matt Lauer slowly graduated to more difficult questions. He openly asked Prince William, if he felt that the media had a role in his recent break up with his girlfriend, Kate Middleton. Prince William looked calm and it was apparent that he was not surprised by the question. Prince Harry remained silent and looked anxiously at his older brother when this question was asked. I must admit, Prince William responded very well and diplomatically. He said that he believed that his personal life was personal and he doesn't discuss it with anyone. He artfully dodged the question by saying that the press will continue to print stories on his life but he does not believe in anything that is printed. He also added:

"I don't allow the press to tell me what to do!"

Matt Lauer tried to probe Prince William some more, by asking if he ever felt so frustrated with the press that he could stand on a building and scream that was not the truth. Prince William never batted an eyelash and calmly said no that would be stooping to their level. Good for you Prince William! Matt Lauer inquired what the two Princes would be doing if they were not royalty. They both paused and Prince William admitted that it was a very interesting question. Slowly, Prince William responded that he initially, wanted to be a policeman but not again! Then he said that would probably be involved in the United Nations. Prince Harry said that he would be in Africa.

At first, there was a wave of sadness when both Princes spoke about their mother. Prince Harry seemed a little teary eyed. But this somber moment was quickly chased away with their plans to have a concert in honour of their mother, Princess Diana. They both explained that the funds generated from the concert would go towards three charities: Princess Diana's favourite charity as well as, Prince William's and Prince Harry's charities. When Matt Lauer questioned Prince Harry about if he still wonders about the accident. He quietly said yes without elaborating on the subject. I guess that was Matt Lauer's cue not to pursue the matter any further.

The final question was very simple and yet, both Princes struggled to answer it. Matt Lauer inquired what was the coolest thing about being a Prince. At first they both laughed and took some time to think about it. Eventually, Prince William carefully stated that they both have very nice things around them and they appreciate it, since not everyone had what they owned. Prince Harry excitedly claimed that they have a very good education although, they don't always show it. This response evoked a lot of laughter from Matt Lauer and Prince William did not seem to approve of this by bowing his head down and shaking his right leg slightly.

I am very disappointed with this interview because it was too short. I suppose the interview was a lot longer than what was shown but due to time constraints, many parts were edited. However, I am certain that the audience appreciated seeing this interview, since the public had the opportunity to see the two Princes as young men, ready to take on the world. Although they are very close, the difference between the two was very clear. Prince William is more intelligent, exudes a quiet charm and exercises a lot of caution, when responding to the questions that were asked. On the other hand, Prince Harry is very young, eager, friendly and a little too willing to offer information, especially for questions that were never asked. This indicates a great deal of naivety and inexperience in dealing with the press. Prince William and Prince Harry were so young when their mother died. Judging from the interview, it was apparent that they loved their mother very dearly and even today, they still miss her a great deal. A few clips of Princess Diana were shown in the interview; these clips revealed Princess Diana as a doting and caring mother who was fiercely protective of her sons. She was very interested in her charity work and was constantly bombarded by the press everywhere she went.

Even though so many years have elapsed, the press is still obsessed with Princess Diana. And unfortunately, her sons are not spared by the media. They are constantly being chased by the press, who refuse to give them, a moment's peace. Prince William and Prince Harry seem resigned to the fact that their lives will never be normal because of the constant scrutiny of the media. However, I am sure their mother would be proud of the way her two sons turned out!

Reconcile Edited: Geenie on 21st Jun, 2007 - 11:47pm

Add a Comment for Geenie
8th Aug, 2007 - 9:37pm / Post ID: #
Me

Geenie's Blog

COMIDAS EXOTICAS DE LA TRINITY

Looking at the heading of my latest blog I suspect members would expect that everything would be typed in Spanish! Sorry, no such luck! I just thought that it was an appropriate heading for this blog!

It is noticeable and very unfortunate that everytime this little country is in the news, it is usually in a very negative light. First, the controversy with Akon's simulated sex act on stage which was shown all over the world on YOUTUBE! Then shortly afterwards, one Trinidadian and two Guyanese men were arrested for a conspiracy to blow up JFK airport. So now Trinidad is considered as a hotbed for terrorism! And the list goes on and on.

I am pleased to announce that recently, we were featured on the food network, in a programme called "Bizarre Foods," which is hosted by Andrew Zimnen. This gentleman is a well known food critic and chef, who enjoys travelling all over the world, to taste exotic and unusual dishes. This segment was shown on Wednesday 1 August 2007 and it was repeated on Saturday 4 August 2007. Although the segment lasted for about half an hour, I am hoping that, foreigners may be encouraged to visit our little island again, in spite of the negative publicity!

Andrew Zimnen first stop was our sister island Tobago. He was taken to a forest where experienced men hunted for an iguana. After the hunters successfully shot an iguana, it was taken to Marcia's diner, where the hunter proceeded to clean and cook it in a curry. Mr Zimnen seemed pleased with the curried iguana and dumplings dish since he ravenously bit into the iguana's leg and declared it to be tasty and very sweet meat. He thanked the hunter for the delicious meal and left in search of his next "unusual dish."

The host of Bizarre Foods then went to "No Man's Island," which is a tiny strip of island inside of Buccoo lagoon. There, he was shown how to catch a conch (a conch is a pink edible shellfish). The men who caught the conch, explained that it may be eaten raw or cooked. Much to my amazement, Mr Zimnen sampled the conch in its raw state and he loved it! He described the raw conch as similar to cooked scallops and he even ate everything except the intestine. The men proceeded to cook another conch for their guest, while he made a quick lobster salad as a side dish. Mr Zimnen was very happy to eat curried conch, conch ceviche and his own lobster salad. He also sang high praises to the guys who cooked for him and requested an encore for the following day.

Mr Zimnen then came over to Trinidad, to sample Souse, Cowheel soup, Black pudding, Roti, Doubles, Fried bake with Tuna and Fried bake with Shark. Unfortunately, I did not recognize the place where he visited, while he ate the Souse, Cowheel soup and Black pudding. He seemed impressed by the Rasta man's unique way of cooking his food. The guy stood over his food in the kitchen and said a loud prayer, blessing the food before he started cooking. To cut a long story short, he did not enjoy the Souse, Cowheel soup or Black Pudding. He was served with pig's feet and chicken feet in the Souse. He described the Souse (pig's feet and chicken feet) as an acquired taste. He did not have much to say about the Cowheel soup but it was clear that it was not his favourite dish. He considered the Black Pudding to be similar to a bloody liverwurst. However, he enjoyed the pepper sauce that was generously poured all over it.

Andrew Zimnen then made arrangements to meet a local tour guide in St James by the name of (would you believe) Andrew Welch. Mr Welch immediately showed the host of Bizarre Foods, three hot spots in St James. He took Mr Zimnen to an East Indian vendor, who specialized in making roti (a roti is the Hindu word for bread). The host requested a roti with curried goat and curried liver with spinach, pumpkin and channa. He looked at the local tour guide, smiled and happily announced that it was a spectacular sandwich. He even complimented the vendor on the hot sauce that was incorporated in the roti.

Another vendor served Mr Zimnen our famous fast food, doubles (doubles is made form split peas and flour).

Rather off topic, but...
Please note that a health inspector from USA visited Trinidad many years ago and cited that our doubles is the most healthiest fast food! Even better than a hotdog! It was explained that the channa in the doubles was an excellent source of protein and this "fast food" was well balanced with the bara, which can be considered as carbohydrates.

The local tour guide then introduced the host to Chinkys. There, he ate a fried bake with stewed tuna, dasheen bush and a hot sauce. Mr Zimnen enjoyed his fish sandwich. It is interesting to note that this host seemed to gravitate towards very spicy foods. However, it is so unusual for a tourist to bravely indulge in our hot pepper sauces!

Mr Welch took the host of Bizarre Foods to the Queen's Park Savannah where he was offered cowheel soup. Mr Zimnen noticed that Trinidadians enjoyed spending a lot of time socializing very late into the night and eating good food. He approved of this kind of behaviour a great deal, especially the eating part! I almost laughed when Mr Zimnen remarked that he was a special customer, since the vendor took his time searching for a lot of cowheel to give him. Unfortunately, he did not like it and chose to mask the taste by adding a great deal of pepper sauce!

His final destination was Maracas Bay which is well known for a beautiful beach, lovely ladies and of course, the famous fast food, bake and shark! Since there were many booths that sold Bake and Shark, Mr Zimnen shared his secret for identifying which booth to buy the fast food from. He said to simply scan the whole area and look for the booth with the most customers. He selected Richard's which is the very first vendor to introduce Bake and Shark at Maracas Bay. Since Bake and shark is a very popular fast food, all the other vendors chose to copy Richard by opening their own booths to sell this popular fast food! The host of Bizarre foods seemed very impressed with the layout of Richard's; he commented that business was very good since there were two shacks: one for frying the bake and another one for frying the shark. Richards had a wide range of condiments. It was amusing to see this jolly and adventurous food critic to look directly at the camera and loudly announce, "I am passing on the ketchup and mustard!" He selected chado beni sauce (which is similar to cilantro), tamarind sauce, cucumbers, slaw and of course, a hot sauce. Just like a Trini, Mr Zimnen bought two bake and shark instead of sampling only one! After taking his first big bite, he closed his eyes to savour the taste and then announced that this was the best fish sandwich he has ever tasted. He even declared that the bake and shark qualified for his top ten favourite foods in the world! Wow, high praise from a foreign food critic, not to mention, this would be excellent free publicity for Richards!

Add a Comment for Geenie
Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
24th Aug, 2007 - 8:29pm / Post ID: #
Me

Geenie's Blog - Page 2

THOUGHTS FROM A GEENIE

Have you ever wondered what people are thinking about when they design an advertisement? Whether it is for the radio, television or the newspapers? I remember hearing this advertisement over the radio. It begins with a guy informing a girl that "it was time." The girl responds that she needs more time to get to know the guy better. Now listening to a few lines of this conversation, I honestly thought it was an advertisement from the Ministry of Health, promoting abstinence. The guy then requests to at least "see it" and the girl indicates that she does not trust anyone with her "Green Sands." OHHH! Was it really necessary to have all that sexual innuendo over the radio? Do advertisers realize that young impressionable individuals listen to the radio too? I think this is the most insipid advertisement and I wonder how many seconds it took for the advertiser to develop this concept. No creativity and no imagination, if you ask me!

While perusing the Sunday Guardian on 19 August 2007, I was appalled to see this voluptuous girl, seductively looking at the camera while pulling down the front of her "barely there" outfit, exposing most of her breasts. Initially, I thought that this was an advertisement for escort services but surprise! It was actually an advertisement for a lingerie store named Sincerely Yours. Apparently this lingerie store had a 50% sale exclusively at the Grand Bazaar branch only. I know for a fact that all Trinis love flea markets and sales. Do you think, it would have been more effective to just put in large print: "50% sale in Sincerely Yours at the Grand Bazaar?" The advertisers could have taken out a full page for this without using sex to announce their grand sale! What is even more interesting is, the Sunday Express of the same date, carried this advertisement but chose to "cover up" the lingerie model. Fascinating! I always considered the Express to use more sensationalism in their newspapers than the Sunday Guardian! I suppose the Sunday Guardian had to find a way to encourage people to buy their newspapers, in order to beat their competitors!

This is why Trinidadians are dressing more provocatively without giving it a second thought. We are constantly being bombarded by images of sex on a daily basis. The media can be blamed for this; it is also important to note that parents have a responsibility to instil good old fashioned values to their children. I am very concerned about the impact on young, impressionable minds when they peruse magazines and see very thin, well made up models in flashy clothes or in a bikini. We are corrupting our young children and introducing the wrong values into their lives. Looks are not important. Developing your mind should always come first. When young people especially girls, see ultra thin models in a magazine, they are misled into believing that this image is acceptable. The dangerous part of this is, girls are literally starving themselves to death in order to resemble these models. This disease is well known as anorexia nervosa and it is literally killing a lot of people. I wish the editors of these magazines would stop using these bony models to advertise their products. This is promoting a very warped concept of what is normal; this affects teenagers and young adults very negatively since they all feel pressured to resemble these models and it also confuses them into believing that this is the ideal way, for every normal person to look. These days, it is important to nurture your children with the right values and do not allow them to "experiment" on their own. The risk is simply not worth it.

Add a Comment for Geenie
12th Nov, 2007 - 8:56pm / Post ID: #
Me

Geenie's Blog Public Member Blogs - Page 2

CURIOSITY KILLED THE CAT!

Have you ever wondered why people behave the way they do? I sometimes do.

Have you ever wondered why individuals have no manners these days?
Long ago, I remember as a child walking to the supermarket and complete strangers waving and saying good morning to me and my friends. We would normally respond in a polite and yet amiable fashion. But lately, if you smile and give the time of day to a stranger or even a neighbour, you are greeted with a look of death or even a stony stare. Why is that?

Have you ever wonder if people have any common sense at all or consideration for others?
One Saturday afternoon, my spouse and I were driving down a street in Port of Spain and there was a massive traffic jam. My spouse was confused since it was a little unusual for that particular street to be so congested. While staring ahead of us, we suddenly saw the reason for the traffic. No, it was not an accident, no cows or goats were crossing....So what could it be? One man chose to unload several cases of water from his car to another car, in the middle of the road! My spouse and I were so disgusted by this blatant inconsiderate act. I don't even have to mention which political party was responsible for this.

While driving in Port of Spain, there were two young individuals attempting to cross the street. My spouse stopped and signalled to the pedestrians to cross. Long ago, people would smile or wave and scurry across the road. But that was so long ago. Nowadays, like this young couple, they do not seem perturb that they are in the road and how dangerous it is these days to saunter across the road. The young couple were giggling, the young man was kissing the girl's hand, she responded by teasing him and they briefly chased each other in circles. Yes, while crossing the road. It should have taken them for the most, one minute to cross but instead, they took ten minutes because of their irresponsible behaviour. And then people wonder why the road fatalities have increased!

Have you ever wondered why people are so obsessed with car accidents?
I understand if you are checking to see if it is someone you know. But if not, why do people park their cars and stare as if it were a circus act? I will never understand another individual's fascination with people dying or watching dead bodies. This is a sight that I hope and pray that I may never have to face. There is nothing exciting about wondering if people are alive or dead. I have recently read that many individuals have died while staring at an accident. Do you think that this will deter people from stopping and staring? Never!

I will never forget an accident which took place on Beetham highway. According to the report in the newspaper, a little girl was thrown from the car and she landed in a river, where she died instantly. Naturally, individuals had to stop their cars and inspect the accident; talk to others who had done the same and not realising where they were. The residents of Beetham highway thought that this was a perfect opportunity to go treasure hunting. All the motorists who stopped to gape, the Beetham residents took full advantage of them. They entered their cars (because the motorists neglected to lock their own cars since they were more interested in the accident) and stole anything they found that was valuable in the cars. Now that is funny!

Have you ever wondered why people have become so selfish?
Sometimes, when I am in the supermarket, I walk around in different isles, searching for a particular item. When I notice where the item is, I patiently wait for the person to move, so I could collect the item. Have you ever notice that individuals are aware that you are waiting and deliberately take their time, even though they do not need anything from that particular shelf? How rude and inconsiderate! People are so strange!

Have you ever wondered why individuals become so angry with you for no apparent reason?
You do not see your friends or acquaintances for a while and when you do see them, they appear cross with you? They do silly childish things all in the name of being vindictive? And you cannot help but think to yourself: what did I do? I haven't seen this person in ages! And later on, you learn from talking to other people that the individual is annoyed with you since they chose to jump to the wrong conclusions without even investigating into the matter in question. Interesting how people think they know you and yet they think the worst of you, even when you are not around. Very strange!

There are times I have wondered about why people behave the way they do. My reason for this is, all women enjoy analyzing any given situation. But there comes a time when you must stop and just let go. Stop trying to figure out why people are so rude, selfish, inconsiderate and are behaving strangely. Sometimes, it is best to shrug your shoulders and accept the fact that the world has changed. Not for the better but for the worst. This does not mean that you should change too. But just adjust your attitude towards the situation. If you don't, you may become stir crazy trying to figure out why people behave the way they do. Accept it. But don't lower yourself to their standards. Consider yourself a leader and not a follower!

Add a Comment for Geenie
+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Geenie's Blog

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,