Mediterranean Diet

Mediterranean Diet - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 28th Jul, 2017 - 6:23pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Post Date: 16th May, 2007 - 11:54pm / Post ID: #

Mediterranean Diet

Mediterranean Diet

What are your thoughts about the Mediterranean Diet?

Sponsored Links:
18th Jul, 2008 - 6:11am / Post ID: #

Diet Mediterranean

Not only is Mediterranean food delicious it has been proven to be a healthier way to diet. A new study supports a low-carb and mediterranean-style diet for weight control and lowering cholesterol.

The Atkins diet may have proved itself after all: A low-carb diet and a Mediterranean-style regimen helped people lose more weight than a traditional low-fat diet in one of the longest and largest studies to compare the dueling weight-loss techniques.

A bigger surprise: The low-carb diet improved cholesterol more than the other two in several measures, including the ratio of total cholesterol to HDL, the "good" cholesterol. Some critics had predicted the opposite because the diet allows more fat.

"It is a vindication," said Abby Bloch of the Dr. Robert C. and Veronica Atkins Foundation, a philanthropy group that honors the Atkins' diet's creator and was the study's main funder.

However, all three approaches -- the low-carb diet, a low-fat diet and a so-called Mediterranean diet -- achieved weight loss and improved cholesterol.

The study is remarkable not only because it lasted two years, much longer than most, but also because of the huge proportion of people who stuck with the diets -- 85 percent.
https://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/health/25539714.html

Post Date: 18th Jul, 2008 - 1:31pm / Post ID: #

Mediterranean Diet
A Friend

Mediterranean Diet Health & Special Psychology

Now that is interesting. SO the best would be a low carb, low fat and mediterranean diet according to the article. I am not sure how much is left to eat with all three of those. smile.gif

18th Jul, 2008 - 6:36pm / Post ID: #

Diet Mediterranean

A mediterranean diet is quite varied. You have a lot of choices and everything is so full of flavor and good for you. Makes me hungry just thinking about it. Yesterday I had a large slice of white pizza (white sauce, artichokes & sun-dried tomatoes, and a large Greek salad for lunch (Greens, kalamata olives, tomatoes, lots of feta cheese, red onions, and cucumbers with an amazing vinaigrette) it was very filling and oh so satisfying. And it was only 5 Weight Watchers points for the entire meal. It kept me full until dinner time.

Rather off topic, but...
I should bop over to the food thread and post some mediterranean recipes when I get back from camping )

23rd Jul, 2008 - 8:47pm / Post ID: #

Diet Mediterranean

As far as I know, the Mediterranean diet works because of the amount of olives, and garlic that goes into the cooking.
It's a known fact that Mediterranean people live longer, that's why many people are trying to adopt their food culture (in my opinion).

23rd Jul, 2008 - 10:48pm / Post ID: #

Mediterranean Diet

Olive oil is so healthy for you.

Substituting olive oil, a monounsaturated fat, for saturated fats or polyunsaturated fats can:
Reduce blood pressure
Inhibit the growth of some cancers
Benefit people at risk for or with diabetes
Lessen the severity of asthma and arthritis
Actually help your body maintain a lower weight
Healthy Heart Benefits
Atherosclerosis, also called hardening of the arteries, occurs when particles of LDL cholesterol stick to the walls of the arteries. Eventually these particles build up and form plaque. This plaque narrows the blood vessels and increases the work load of the heart in an effort to get oxygenated blood to the entire body. The result can be a heart attack or stroke.
Olive oil is rich in monounsaturated fat and antioxidants like chlorophyll, carotenoids and vitamin E. Scientists have identified a compound in olive oil called oleuropein which prevents the LDL cholesterol from oxidizing. It is the oxidized cholesterol that sticks to the walls of the arteries and forms plaque. Replacing other fats in your diet with olive oil can significantly lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart attack.
Cancer Inhibitor
A study published in the January 2005 issue of Annals of Oncology has identified oleic acid, a monounsaturated fatty acid found in olive oil, as having the ability to reduce the affect of an oncogene (a gene that will turn a host cell into a cancer cell). This particular oncogene is associated with the rapid growth of breast cancer tumors. The conclusion of the researchers was that oleic acid when combined with drug therapy encouraged the self-destruction of aggressive, treatment-resistant cancer cells thus destroying the cancer. Olive oil has been positively indicated in studies on prostate and endometrial cancers as well.

Unlike other fats, which are associated with a higher risk of colon cancer, olive oil helps protect the cells of the colon from carcinogens. A study published in the November 2003 issue of Food Chemistry Toxicology suggests that the antioxidants in olive oil reduce the amount of carcinogens formed when meat is cooked.
Blood Sugar Controller

Diabetics or those at risk for diabetes are advised to combine a low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet with olive oil. Studies show this combination is superior at controlling blood sugar levels compared to a diet that consists entirely of low-fat meals. Adding olive oil is also linked to lower triglyceride levels. Many diabetics live with high triglyceride levels which put them at risk for heart disease.
https://www.whatsfordinner.net/article-olive-oil.html

Garlic is good with just about anything.
Garlic health benefits and medicinal properties have long been known (1). Garlic has long been considered a herbal "wonder drug", with a reputation in folklore for preventing everything from the common cold and flu to the Plague! It has been used extensively in herbal medicine (phytotherapy, sometimes spelt phitotherapy). Raw garlic is used by some to treat the symptoms of acne and there is some evidence that it can assist in managing high cholesterol levels. It can even be effective as a natural mosquito repellent.
Modern science has shown that garlic is a powerful antibiotic, albeit broad-spectrum rather than targeted. The body does not appear to build up resistance to the garlic, so its positive health benefits continue over time.
Healthy Antioxidant
Studies (2) have shown that garlic - especially aged garlic - can have a powerful antioxidant effect. Antioxidants help to protect the body against damaging "free radicals". https://www.garlic-central.com/garlic-health.html

Mediterranean food is not only healthy but tastes so darn good! Healthy and delicious what more could you ask?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 28th Jul, 2017 - 6:19pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Mediterranean Diet

Mediterranean-style diets linked to better brain function in older adults. Eating foods included in two healthy diets -- the Mediterranean or the MIND diet -- is linked to a lower risk for memory difficulties in older adults, according to a new study. Source 9w.

Post Date: 28th Jul, 2017 - 6:23pm / Post ID: #

Mediterranean Diet
A Friend

Mediterranean Diet Psychology Special & Health

Yup, I grew up with this diet and it is still my favorite. I love Greek and Italian food. That means a lot of fish, olive oil (Which I use to cook nearly everything), garlic (Again in everything), and a lot of vegetables. Oh, and feta cheese and kalamata olives. My family used to own acres of olive groves and my grandmother would get the best olive oil from the family fields. I still eat that way.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Mediterranean Diet

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,