Boy Scouts And Their Mormon Leaders

Boy Scouts Mormon Leaders - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 25th Aug, 2007 - 12:22pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (7) »

?
Poll: As a LDS Member, do you or would you send your child to the Boy Scouts?
  Yes, I think it is just media hype       46.15%
  Yes, but only if I am there with him       53.85%
  No, not at all       0.00%
Total Votes: 13
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 

Mormon Scouts - LDS Scouts. Gay Mormon Scout Leaders. Controversial Mormon Issue.
Post Date: 24th May, 2007 - 4:49am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Scouts And Their Mormon Leaders

Our boys are duel registered in scouting. They are registered in our ward troop and in an independent non-denominational troop as the primary troop. We encourage our boys to participant with the ward troop as much as they are able.

This week my twelve year went on a hike with the ward troop. They climbed on a mountain near our home. One of the older boys went on ahead and as they approached the top of their climb, they found this boy with his pants to his knees showing the world his back side("Mooning").

The hike started at 4:00 pm and ended in time for the boys to return for opening exercises at the church. After opening exercises had ended the boys went to a near by school yard to play sports. The leaders decided they had done their part and went home. After about a hour of play, the boys decided they had had enough and the boy who had mooned the other boys, suggested they go dumpster diving to look for p-rn. At this point you might be thinking this boy comes from a broken home or have other family problems. Not so. His father is the Bishop of a campus ward at BYU.

I certainly understand the concern about adult leaders that commit crimes against children. There is no room for this kind of leader in scouting or any other organization that involves children. I am as concerned about apathetic leaders that allow children to show their back side to world and do nothing about it. Equally as bad to leave the boys unattended on a scout night. This kind of behavior from both adults or boys is never allowed or tolerated in the independent troop.

I now feel like I can't send my boys to our ward scout activities any more.

What should I do? I can not talk to the Bishop for fear of retribution towards my boys. The same for the offending boy's parents. I am at the very least very disappointed in what I see happening to scouting activities in the church.

I welcome any and all thoughts and/or ideas.

What's Up!

Sponsored Links:
24th May, 2007 - 12:01pm / Post ID: #

Leaders Mormon Their Scouts Boy

Whatsup, quite a disturbing story. I have a couple of comments:

At this point you might be thinking this boy comes from a broken home or have other family problems. Not so. His father is the Bishop of a campus ward at BYU.

I hope you realize and understand that just because his father is a Bishop at a ward at BYU, does not mean his parental skills or even spirituality should be "higher" than any other regular folks. Bishops and leaders go through challenges within their own families like anybody else. The truth is that you do not know what's going on inside their home neither know the details about why their son is behaving in the way he does.

I certainly understand the concern about adult leaders that commit crimes against children. There is no room for this kind of leader in scouting or any other organization that involves children. I am as concerned about apathetic leaders that allow children to show their back side to world and do nothing about it. Equally as bad to leave the boys unattended on a scout night. This kind of behavior from both adults or boys is never allowed or tolerated in the independent troop.

You're absolutely right. Since is obvious by your post that you are very concerned about your kids in this type of environment, I assume you pulled them out from the troop immediately?

What should I do? I can not talk to the Bishop for fear of retribution towards my boys. The same for the offending boy's parents. I am at the very least very disappointed in what I see happening to scouting activities in the church.

I do not know exactly what you are asking. I think you know exactly what you should do BUT if you think is better to leave it "like that" without letting the leaders know about it, then you should not complain. Pull them out of the troop and that's it. You can't have it both ways. I believe if there is an issue, needs to be discussed. If you are afraid as you mentioned, then analyze exactly what you are afraid of. Any concerned parent (not only for their children but for other children's sake) would discuss this with the parties involved to make sure it doesn't happen ever again.

Just analyze if your "fear of retribution" weighs more than their safety from the evils that surrounds us.

Boy Scouts And Their Mormon Leaders (Hover)

Post Date: 27th May, 2007 - 4:57pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Boy Scouts And Their Mormon Leaders Studies Doctrine Mormon

Tell the Bishop of your ward. He can address the problem without mentioning your boys. He can deal with the father of the boy and he is ultimately responsible for the actions of the YM leaders. As a former YM president, what the leaders did is completely against official Church guidelines. The boys should not be left alone.

Hope this helps.

27th May, 2007 - 6:36pm / Post ID: #

I have reservations about answering this Topic because I am not certain if the story is real. Why do I say that? This user joins and placed this same post in three different places, then when LDS_forever challenged some of what was written the user immediately deleted themselves. There are a lot of Antis out there trying to bring up negativity - this may be one case.

Post Date: 27th May, 2007 - 7:50pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

That's irritating, but if that is the case I'm glad I didn't post what my original thoughts were...it would have given him some excellent ammo.

27th May, 2007 - 8:06pm / Post ID: #

These kinds of issues are very sensitive and some of it is covered in the Mature section for that self same reason, however we do have some related Topics about the Boy Scouts and similar issues available for public viewing to show that this is a problem of parents ensuring that their children are well supervised and not the Church or the Boy Scout Association per se. See these:

* Boy Scouts - A general Thread (Not LDS)
* Mother Sues Scouts, Lds Church Over Son's Death - LDS News Section
* Church Members and Secret Societies - Someone takes issue with the Scout oath
* Another Mormon Connection To A Heinous Crime (Mature LDS Access)

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 25th Aug, 2007 - 6:45am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Boy Scouts Their Mormon Leaders

This topic seems to be fairly dead, and maybe for some good reason. As JB pointed out the original poster has deleted their account and is unresponsive.

However this is a relevant point of conversation in the LDS church. I have known many people that complain about the direction that the church is taking in regards to the Boy Scouts. In many wards they are no longer even affiliated with the Boy Scouts, and only do things as Young Men. This doesn't really solve the problem though.

I have been disgusted over the years of the many travesties that our young men have been subjected to. They are being molested, abused and taught immoral practices, by the very men that we as parents trust to protect and teach them righteous and practical skills. What do we do to stop this kind of behavior and protect our children? How do we ensure that the leaders that spend so much time with our children are good men?

Personally I believe that it is an issue of parental involvement. What do you all think?

25th Aug, 2007 - 12:22pm / Post ID: #

Boy Scouts Their Mormon Leaders Mormon Doctrine Studies

Bob:

What do we do to stop this kind of behavior and protect our children?

I don't think we can't stop this behavior. The world is turning more evil as the days pass and members of the Church are not "protected" from committing heinous crimes against children. Your good-buddy at Church who seems to have the perfect life and a beautiful wife maybe a pedophile, the truth is that appearances are deceiving.

How do we ensure that the leaders that spend so much time with our children are good men?

This is very hard to know because not all pedophiles have a criminal record but they do try their best to be involve in activities that involve kids. I think observation is very important and I believe these people (both men AND women) always give "signs". We just need to look for them.

Personally I believe that it is an issue of parental involvement. What do you all think?

Definitely. My husband and I do not leave our kids out of our sight at any moment. This includes Church meetings on Sundays as well as activities. We do not allow sleepovers, neither them going for sleepovers. These sickos look for kids whose parents are not involved or they are just too irresponsable in the way they handle their kids. I do not care to be looked at as a "paranoid" as long as I know my kids are safe.

Rather off topic, but...
You should check this thread:
https://www.bordeglobal.com/foruminv/index....pic=11266&st=24

I notice most members blindly sometimes trust other members with their kids. We don't. Evil does not know boundaries of religion or relationships.

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (7) »

> TOPIC: Boy Scouts And Their Mormon Leaders

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,