Should Teachers Get A Salary Increase? - Page 2 of 3

I know I will be raked over the coals for - Page 2 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 12th Sep, 2007 - 3:24pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
10th Aug, 2007 - 12:36am / Post ID: #

Should Teachers Get A Salary Increase? - Page 2

Ever since I have been growing up in local schools I could remember Teachers striking. Today I have long left the school system, but nothing has changed. We must step back and analyze why that is... why do Teachers always seem to be striking? Is it because the government never pays enough or is it that the rate of inflation ascends too quickly?

I believe there are Teachers who deserve an increase - no question about that, but at the same time there are some rotten apples that need cleansing from the system, I know, because I was once party to their abuse and brutality or on the other hand was not aware of how they taught or what they taught or if they had thoughts, because they never showed up for class.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 11th Aug, 2007 - 12:38am / Post ID: #

Should Teachers Get A Salary Increase?
A Friend

Increase Salary Get Teachers Should

There are some good points raised here.
Maybe TTUTA should be discussing with the Ministry some of these considerations. More importantly, the Ministry has to pass back responsibility AND authority to the principals so that teachers who have been seen to have an absentee problem can be speedily disciplined.
In addition, maybe there should be training offered to new teachers and refresher courses for existing teachers that should pass on some of the new and better methods of reaching. Teachers are teaching different students under different conditions.
Why have teachers been striking, that is because teachers are asked to do a lot, literally prepare our next and future generation of leaders without proper remuneration.

11th Aug, 2007 - 1:03am / Post ID: #

Should Teachers Get A Salary Increase? Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Well, according to Mrs. manning I believe those things are already underway:

1. All teachers will need to be certified eventually or even have a bachelors
2. All teachers will be accountable for school attendance and quality teaching

Ironically, these are already basic things in North America, yet we always seem to pride our education system in being somehow more superior to the North Americans.

Now in staying on Topic... I do not know what TTUTA is doing, we cannot seem to get a rep here to tell us, and their web site seems to be at a stand still despite them having wanted me to renovate it for them. So we will just have to keep looking towards the newspapers and television to see what comes to fruition. I can tell you though... the Teachers always win in the end.

11th Aug, 2007 - 2:22am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Increase Salary Get Teachers Should

Do you think that Teachers deserve a Salary Increase or are they asking for more and giving little?

Ok folks, I was merely responding to the above question. For me, the key words here are: ".......are they asking for more and giving little?" This is what I am referring to, the teachers are expecting more money and yet they do not appear to be "giving back" by offering a high quality of education.

I think you are generalizing way too much. It is impossible for you to make such statement because you do not know all teachers. Having said that, I hope you are not one of the many Trinidadians who blame teachers for not only the lack of discipline in children but also the lack of interest they have in school work.

I will concede that I am at a disadvantage here. You and Kaisofan are both teachers and I am not. You may have a better knowledge of all the hardships that teachers face on a daily basis, whereas, I can only make statements based on the comments made by others, what I hear on the news and read in the newspapers. Recently, I have read in the newspapers about a lady writing to the editor about parents removing their children from St Mary's College. I was stunned and amazed since this particular school was always recognized as one of the best secondary schools in Port of Spain. This lady stated that the standard in St Mary's College was low and also, there was an alarmingly high level of absenteeism. My question is, why is there a high level of absenteeism?

Teachers have certain amount of days off (casual and sick leave). Most of the teachers I have worked with were VERY hard working people, LOTS of them staying after school to give FREE lessons to students as well as being there for them on a continuous basis.

Yes I agree with this. I am fully aware that teachers are assigned a certain number of sick and casual days but the issue here is, there are teachers who are abusing the leave that they are given. There are too many instances, where I see school children protesting (on the news) about teachers not attending classes. What makes this situation even more disturbing is, the students are worrying about how they will finish their syllabus on time, to write their CXC examinations. I do not think that it is fair for students to be upset and stressed out over this. The only problem that these children should be concerned about is, remembering everything that they were taught. I acknowledge that there are very dedicated teachers who are willing to go the extra mile for their students (fortunately, I had teachers in my school who fit this description) however, there are a lot of bad apples in the system.

It is very simple to blame teachers for the lack of good parenting in certain homes in Trinidad and Tobago, it is very simple to blame teachers for the rude behavior, indiscipline, aggression and violence displayed by some of the youth in the country, it is very easy to blame teachers for a poor Ministry of Education approach to the whole issue of Education in the country.

My gripe was with the absenteeism and not the disciplining of students. However, I do understand that there are parents who blame the teachers for their children's rude behaviour. This is very ironical since the parents' job is to instill norms and values in their children which assist the child in integrating into society. On the other hand, the teacher's role is to ensure that the children are equipped with the knowledge they require to enter the adult working world.

Teachers are being used as scapegoats and for some STRANGE reason, people in Trinidad and Tobago wrongly think teachers should do *this* or *that* removing the parent's responsibility towards their own kids! And placing that responsibility to teachers. Ridiculous!

I do not agree with your view of regarding it as strange for people to lay the blame on teachers. It is human nature that at some point in time, we prefer to blame others for our problems. No one enjoys admitting that they were wrong. Some parents find it easier to blame teachers rather than deal with the real problem: that is, not spending quality time with their children or seeking professional help for the family.

Maybe TTUTA should be discussing with the Ministry some of these considerations. More importantly, the Ministry has to pass back responsibility AND authority to the principals so that teachers who have been seen to have an absentee problem can be speedily disciplined.

I had to smile when I read this Kaisofan. I was just about to make this point until I read your post. Teachers with a high absenteeism need to be closely monitored and the necessary disciplinary action should be taken swiftly, to address this situation.

I must admit that with the cost of living, it is necessary for all business places to increase salaries. Teachers are human beings too and they have needs just like everyone else. However, if teachers are disgruntled with their paycheck, they need to address this problem with the Ministry of Education and not use the children as sacrificial lambs, to highlight their predicament.

Reconcile Edited: Geenie on 11th Aug, 2007 - 2:27am

Post Date: 13th Aug, 2007 - 3:24pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Increase Salary Get Teachers Should

I have one question.
How are teachers supposed to get a positive response from the Ministry? What do people think is the best method of getting a response to our request for an increase from the Ministry? Or should this be another topic?

Second question. Geenie, you heard that parents have removed students from St Mary's College because of absenteeism. Has this information been validated? And if so, what percentage of students were transferred? Was there any comparison done to see how the numbers of students compared with transfers from other schools?
Not picking on you but just checking to see if it is one of those "people say" comments.

13th Aug, 2007 - 5:27pm / Post ID: #

How are teachers supposed to get a positive response from the Ministry?

Truly only the Ministry can answer that, however given how things play out you have to do as TTUTA is doing I guess... negotiations and protest.

What do people think is the best method of getting a response to our request for an increase from the Ministry?

I do not know what is currently taking place (the bargaining chips being used), but I would guess that you want something akin to showing paper work / statistics. Really, the rate of inflation automatically warrants an increase in salary, but given that, there should be some showing where teachers are more pro active in classes, attendance, and so forth.

Or should this be another topic?

You are in the right place.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
13th Aug, 2007 - 9:01pm / Post ID: #

Should Teachers Get Salary Increase - Page 2

How are teachers supposed to get a positive response from the Ministry? What do people think is the best method of getting a response to our request for an increase from the Ministry?

Honestly Kaisofan, to accomplish anything in Trinidad is very difficult. However, on a serious note, it always helps when you know someone in any organization. I prefer to go through the correct channels by writing the relevant authorities but the naked reality is, contacts may be the solution to this predicament.

Second question. Geenie, you heard that parents have removed students from St Mary's College because of absenteeism. Has this information been validated? And if so, what percentage of students were transferred? Was there any comparison done to see how the numbers of students compared with transfers from other schools?

Presently, I am trying to convince a few friends of mine, whom I have contacted on Sunday, concerning the exodus at St Mary's College, to join this forum and shed more light on this issue. Or if I receive more on this, I will keep you posted.

Not picking on you but just checking to see if it is one of those "people say" comments.

I understand. No offense taken wink.gif

12th Sep, 2007 - 3:24pm / Post ID: #

Should Teachers Get Salary Increase Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean - Page 2

I know I will be raked over the coals for this but I will stand by what I said in a previous reply. I don't really care for more money. My salary is not great but I tend to make things do with what I have. What I really care for is more perks in my job. Correction not more perks, I want perks, we don't have any right now. Members do a lot of protesting and striking and so on and when we look at our increases at the end of it all, we are disappointed. Well I don't expect to much this time either. Not only that I am 100% sure that TTUTA will increase it's membership fee again, using the excuse that we got an increase in salary and it is because of their negotiations and so on. Honestly I am getting fed up with all of this B.S. Give me perks or keep your measly increase and increased TTUTA fees at the end of the month. Thanking you all for you replies.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Should Teachers Get A Salary Increase?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,