How Is The Church Affected By Different Cultures?

How Church Affected Cultures - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 13th Jul, 2007 - 11:19pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

12th Jul, 2007 - 10:19pm / Post ID: #

How Is The Church Affected By Different Cultures?

I have been wondering how the Church is affected by different cultures. Does the Church take the best of all cultures and incorporate them into the Church or does The Church as a whole Change the Culture around them?

The reason I put this in the Deep Doctrine page is that does Culture effect Doctrine?

Reconcile Edited: dbackers on 12th Jul, 2007 - 10:23pm

Sponsored Links:
13th Jul, 2007 - 1:25am / Post ID: #

Cultures Different Affected Church The How

Church policy dictates that Culture can be used within the social Church system so long as it does not try to change Church policy or standards. So if the culture offers something good and wholesome then it is welcomed.

Rather off topic, but...
There are other Thread within the LDS Board dealing with various aspects of this... do a Search using the word "Culture" at the bottom of the LDS Board.

13th Jul, 2007 - 7:58pm / Post ID: #

How Is The Church Affected By Different Cultures? Studies Doctrine Mormon

dbackers, you are asking two different questions:

Does the Church take the best of all cultures and incorporate them into the Church or does The Church as a whole Change the Culture around them?

I believe the Church incorporates some cultures if there is a need for it through its members and as long as those Cultures do not interfere with the Gospel itself (example: Spanish Wards).

does Culture effect Doctrine?

Affect Doctrine in what way?

13th Jul, 2007 - 9:28pm / Post ID: #

I should have been more concise.
Does Culture affect what Doctrines the Lord will reveal and does it affect when it is revealed?

When I read the scriptures and look at church History I notice (and I may be wrong) that culture affects what the lord is willing to reveal to his children.

1. The Children of Israel being given the lesser Law rather then the Gospel.
2. Peter being allowed to preach to Gentiles after the proscription against it.
3. Polygamy being discontinued because of the pressure from society.
4. Most recently was the divinely inspired decision to allow Black members of the church to receive the priesthood (A change that I believe had something to do with societies ability to accept new doctrines).

Does God only give doctrine to the people when their culture can accept the change, and does he take away doctrines that society cannot handle?

13th Jul, 2007 - 11:19pm / Post ID: #

Does Culture affect what Doctrines the Lord will reveal and does it affect when it is revealed?

Now you are asking a completely different question. wink.gif This is going to be a little hard to answer without falling into the LDS Mature Board. I would say it all depends on the following factors:

1. Your definition of Culture.

2. If you believe Polygamy (in the example given: was undone because of society pressure, actual revelation or the Saints were not ready to live it)

3. If you believe the Blacks and the Priesthood denial has anything to do (at all) with an actual Revelation from God.

Early leaders as well as Modern-day leaders have been exposed and manifested certain behaviors related to their culture of the time. (Example: Facial hair in the 70's "policy", Brigham Young as well as other leaders statements about Blacks, etc). In many instances, had nothing to do with God but with "doctrines" of MEN.

Rather off topic, but...
We cover in detail Polygamy, Black and the Priesthood as well as many other topics in the LDS Mature Board. You should consider upgrading.

> TOPIC: How Is The Church Affected By Different Cultures?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,