Mormon Spiritual Wifery

Mormon Spiritual Wifery - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 8th Nov, 2007 - 1:44am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
John C Bennet Quotes John C Bennet - In the early days of plural marriage some used 'doctrine' as justification to have intimate relationships with many women.
18th Jul, 2007 - 12:26am / Post ID: #

Mormon Spiritual Wifery

When I read his biography I thought: Is it possible that these type of weaknesses Apostles or even Prophets can have? When I talk to members they usually say things like "Yes, the general authorities are men and they commit sins but not serious ones". How do we know that for sure unless the person is caught in the act or confess? Aren't they made of flesh and bones just like we are?. Anyhow, here is a little information about John C. Bennet who was a counselor in the First Presidency at the time of Joseph Smith.

John Cook Bennett (1804-1867) was an American physician and a ranking and influential-but short-lived-leader of the Latter Day Saint movement, who acted as second in command to Joseph Smith, Jr. for a brief period in the early 1840s.

Bennett had a mysterious and dubious past in other cities where he had risen to prominent positions, only to leave dishonorably after a scandal. He kept this past hidden while he became influential enough to be considered for leadership positions in the church hierarchy and the city of Nauvoo, Illinois. Bennett became an Assistant President of the Church and Counselor in the First Presidency, the mayor of the city of Nauvoo, General of the Nauvoo Legion, and the chancellor of the University of Nauvoo. Eventually, however, rumors of adultery, homosexuality, unauthorized polygamy, and the performance of abortions emerged. He was expelled from his position and became a bitter antagonist of Joseph Smith and his church.

While Bennett was mayor, he was caught in private sexual relations with women in that city. He told the women that the practice, which he termed "spiritual wifery," was sanctioned of God and Joseph Smith, and that Joseph Smith did the same. When discovered, he privately confessed his crimes and was disciplined accordingly. Bennett even signed an affidavit that Joseph Smith had no part in his adultery. Although he vowed to change, he continued his scandalous behavior. When he was caught again, his indiscretions were exposed publicly and he was excommunicated from the church and stripped of public office.

After Bennett left Nauvoo in May 1842, he claimed to have been the target of an attempted assassination by Nauvoo Danites, who were disguised in drag. He soon became very antagonistic towards the church, reportedly even vowing to drink the blood of Joseph Smith Jr. In 1842, he wrote a scathing expose of Joseph Smith, entitled History of the Saints, accusing Smith and his church of crimes such as treason, conspiracy to commit murder, prostitution, and adultery. When Joseph Smith, Jr. later ran for President of the United States, Bennett actively campaigned against him throughout the United States. He was accused of having a part in Smith's assassination in 1844, but a connection has never been proven.

Following Smith's death, Bennett surprised many by returning briefly to Mormonism and joining forces with James Strang-one of several Mormons contending for leadership of the movement. Bennett united with Strang and his followers who founded their own Mormon community on Beaver Island in Michigan. With Bennett's enthusiaistic support, polygamy was introduced into the Michigan Mormon community. Shortly thereafter, amidst yet more charges of sexual misconduct, Bennett left the Strangite community and Mormonism once and for all.

One of Bennett's legacies was the introduction of the term "spiritual wifery" to Mormonism, apparently borrowed from Cochranism. This term was later associated with polygamy and used in the national dialogue against, and activism against Mormon polygamy.

Sponsored Links:
18th Jul, 2007 - 12:43am / Post ID: #

Wifery Spiritual Mormon

We seem to think (based on our discussions about Plural Marriage then and now) that the practice was somehow more "Controlled" at the time of Joseph. Well, it seems like totally. John C Bennet (First Counselor in the First Presidency) and others in the 1840's introduced what is called as "Spiritual wifery" meaning they tricked women into illicit s-xual relationships by telling them that this was a secret doctrine they had obtained from Joseph Smith. Many were caught, in the case of Bennet several times and was excommunicated. This happened for a very short period.

Mormon Spiritual Wifery
Mormon Spiritual Wifery (Hover)

Post Date: 29th Aug, 2007 - 5:37pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Spiritual Wifery
A Friend

Mormon Spiritual Wifery Studies Doctrine Mormon

Do you have any online materials you wish to point us to?

Sounds like this "practice" was roundly condemned (at least officially) by the Church. Is that correct?

Post Date: 29th Aug, 2007 - 5:40pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Spiritual Wifery
A Friend

Wifery Spiritual Mormon

While Bennett was mayor, he was caught in private sexual relations with women in that city. He told the women that the practice, which he termed "spiritual wifery," was sanctioned of God and Joseph Smith, and that Joseph Smith did the same. When discovered, he privately confessed his crimes and was disciplined accordingly. Bennett even signed an affidavit that Joseph Smith had no part in his adultery. Although he vowed to change, he continued his scandalous behavior. When he was caught again, his indiscretions were exposed publicly and he was excommunicated from the church and stripped of public office.

Okay. I don't understand how you could confess to adultery as a member of the First Presidency and then continue in the Church and NOT be excommunicated. Am I understanding this right?

Have you seen entries in the Church History, by chance?

29th Aug, 2007 - 5:52pm / Post ID: #

Wifery Spiritual Mormon

Oh yes, it was condemned officially. I was given good material about it but I am not allowed to publish it online. I will try to research for some sources online and post it here.

29th Aug, 2007 - 6:07pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Spiritual Wifery

Tortdog:

Okay. I don't understand how you could confess to adultery as a member of the First Presidency and then continue in the Church and NOT be excommunicated. Am I understanding this right?

It is more complicated than that. First of all, he was an assistant to the Prophet and Joseph and him were very close. He showed some signs of dislike for Joseph and the Prophet recorded on his diary, he felt something was very wrong.

When he is caught doing "spiritual wifery", the Church notifies him that he is not considered longer a member, right after the Church excommunicates him. He writes an affidavit clearing up the name of Joseph in all this mess and showing some sort of "remorse" for what he has done. He appeared before a big community of Saints and cried for forgiveness, Joseph thought he was sincere and he plead on his favor. But Bennet continued showing his true colors by becoming one of the worst enemies of the Church.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
8th Nov, 2007 - 12:17am / Post ID: #

Mormon Spiritual Wifery

Maybe that is why Polygamy had to be strictly controlled and eventually suspended. Men are, by nature and to a degree, sexually motivated and without strict controls Plural Marriage can fall to the extreme of David and Solomon who had hundreds of Concubines and Wives.

Could the Church, now with millions of Members, actually control the practice of Plural Marriage without it becoming somewhat (um whats the word I am trying to find) "sticky"?

8th Nov, 2007 - 1:44am / Post ID: #

Mormon Spiritual Wifery Mormon Doctrine Studies

international QUOTE (Dbackers)
Could the Church, now with millions of Members, actually control the practice of Plural Marriage...

They cannot even mention it let alone control it. You are correct, there would be a lot of abuse, but I would not put that on Plural Marriage alone. There is a lot of abuse going on in the current one wife relationships.

Mormon Spiritual Wifery
Mormon Spiritual Wifery (Hover)

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Mormon Spiritual Wifery

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,