Eight Years Old

Eight Years Old - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 25th Jun, 2004 - 8:12am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 23rd Jun, 2004 - 9:45am / Post ID: #

Eight Years Old
A Friend

Eight Years Old

25 And again, inasmuch as parents have children in Zion, or in any of her stakes which are organized, that teach them not to understand the doctrine of repentance, faith in Christ the Son of the living God, and of baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of the hands, when eight years old, the sin be upon the heads of the parents.

26 For this shall be a law unto the inhabitants of Zion, or in any of her stakes which are organized.

27 And their children shall be baptized for the remission of their sins when eight years old, and receive the laying on of the hands.  (D&C 68)

How do we comply with the above instructions?

1) Are we supposed to teach our children these doctrines after they have their eighth birthday or prior to their eighth birthday? Can a child (younger than eight) who cannot sin (and therefore cannot repent) and does not know the difference between right and wrong understand the doctrine of repentence? If we start teaching these doctrines prior to our child turning eight years old, have we complied or is the sin upon our heads (because we taught them when they were incapable of understanding the doctrine)? If we start teaching these doctrines after our child turns eight years old, have we complied or is the sin upon our heads (because we were supposed to teach them prior to their eighth birthday so that they could be baptized on their eighth birthday)? If we wait until they are nine to teach them, are the sins that they have committed in the past year upon our heads?

2) Must children be baptized on the day they turn eight to comply with this law? Or does this law refer to their being baptized in their ninth year (from the day of their eighth birthday to the day of their ninth birthday?) Or does it simply mean that they must not be baptised prior to their eighth birthday? If parents elect to baptise their child when he or she is nine or ten or eleven or even older, for whatever reason they may have (perhaps a maturity issue), instead of when the child is eight years old, will the Lord hold them responsible? Do parents have a justifiable right in the eyes of the Lord not to allow their children to be baptized when eight years old or is there no justification for such an action? Will parents be held responsible if they choose not to allow their child to be baptized at age eight?

What are your thoughts? Other scriptures:

71 No one can be received into the church of Christ unless he has arrived unto the years of accountability before God, and is capable of repentance.  (D&C 20)

42 For all men must repent and be baptized, and not only men, but women, and children who have arrived at the years of accountability.  (D&C 18)

19 Little children cannot repent; wherefore, it is awful wickedness to deny the pure mercies of God unto them, for they are all alive in him because of his mercy.

22 For behold that all little children are alive in Christ, and also all they that are without the law. For the power of redemption cometh on all them that have no law; wherefore, he that is not condemned, or he that is under no condemnation, cannot repent; and unto such baptism availeth nothing-

23 But it is mockery before God, denying the mercies of Christ, and the power of his Holy Spirit, and putting trust in dead works.

24 Behold, my son, this thing ought not to be; for repentance is unto them that are under condemnation and under the curse of a broken law.

25 And the first fruits of repentance is baptism; and baptism cometh by faith unto the fulfilling the commandments; and the fulfilling the commandments bringeth remission of sins;

26 And the remission of sins bringeth meekness, and lowliness of heart; and because of meekness and lowliness of heart cometh the visitation of the Holy Ghost, which Comforter filleth with hope and perfect love, which love endureth by diligence unto prayer, until the end shall come, when all the saints shall dwell with God.  (Moroni 8)

Sponsored Links:
23rd Jun, 2004 - 12:27pm / Post ID: #

Old Years Eight

I think it is important to teach our children the doctrines as early as possible. Because of this, the basics of these doctrines are taught as early as the nursery classes (faith in Jesus Christ).

In our family, all of our children have been baptized ON their birthdays. It has been a family tradition. For some reason, the ward we are in now was extremely hostile to this idea. I know it is a "Utah" thing to only have one day each month for youth baptisms, but I think this is very wrong. By having their baptisms on their birthdays, the celebration became much more powerful.

In my opinion, if we procrastinate any ordinance, when all conditions are met for it, we will be held responsible. So, if we have the opportunity to be baptized today, and we wait for a few more weeks for convenience, but something happens to us, I think we will bear an awful condemnation. At the same time, if something were to happen to us while we are earnestly striving to complete the ordinance, then we wouldn't bear the condemnation.

If a child really isn't mature enough, then I think the parents would have to prayerfully consider it, and discuss it with some trusted priesthood leaders before postponing the baptism. Otherwise, they might be placing the sin on their own heads.

Similarly, in the case of people who are mentally challenged, in whatever way, the issue should really be carefully, prayerfully considered. In some cases, for example with Down's Syndrome, at eight years of age a person might only be four or five mentally. They may NEVER be accountable. On the other hand, at age twenty, perhaps they become accountable, and are ready for baptism.

This would be a very difficult thing to determine. I think that is why the Lord has given us a very simple rule - baptize as soon after turning eight years old as possible. Then we only have to really deal with the exceptions, rather than struggle to figure out all the permutations for the normal situations.

Post Date: 23rd Jun, 2004 - 3:43pm / Post ID: #

Eight Years Old
A Friend

Eight Years Old Studies Doctrine Mormon

We baptized our youngest daughter about 3 months after she turned eight. There were a few reasons, the biggest being that my oldest daughter was graduating from high school and my mother in law wanted to come for both events but couldn't make 2 trips so we delayed the baptism until it was almost time for the graduation. Our Bishop and Stake President were both ok with this. The only objection was from my daughter who wanted to do it as soon as possible, but that's understandable.

As far as teaching children before they reach 8 years old, it is the parents responsability to teach the basics. Most of this comes from the way we live and the example we set. A six year old will not understand too deeply things like repentance, faith etc.

23rd Jun, 2004 - 4:28pm / Post ID: #

Old Years Eight

I had a similar situation, about 19 years ago.

My youngest brother turned 8 just after I moved from England back to the US - to Mississippi. At the time, my parents lived in California. My brother really wanted ME to baptize him, and wouldn't consider having it done until we could visit them.

So, a few months after his birthday, we were finally able to visit California, and I proceeded to baptize him. The bishop in their ward was fine with it, especially since it was HIS baptism, and he was the one who wanted to wait.

I didn't agree with him, but it was his decision to make, and I was willing to go along with it.

I agree that the teaching should be done in the home. I was just pointing out that even as early as 18 months, our curriculum is teaching the basics to children, in nursery. Thus, we should be doing the same in our homes.

24th Jun, 2004 - 5:49pm / Post ID: #

Old Years Eight

Just because a child is not 8 years old as yet, it doesn't mean the child cannot recognize right from wrong, maybe they cannot recognize some things but since they are very small children know when they have done something wrong and that's because they have the Light of Christ within them and also because we as parents are the ones teaching them 'line upon line, precept upon precept'. It is obvious that we may not be able to teach a 3 years old child the full plan of Salvation but we could teach them the principles of the Gospel that they can understand, based on age and maturity. Most people think that small children are incapable to understand lots of things but I always try to remind them that these little ones just come from Heavenly Father, not very long ago they have been in His presence and they have an aura on them that brings His Spirit, so I think as early as possible these teachings are available to them, they will become more spiritually oriented and therefore, become better people.
I love the idea of Nighthawk about baptising the children on their birthdays, if it okay with you Nighthawk, I may consider it and discuss it with my husband when is the turn to baptize Felipe. smile.gif

24th Jun, 2004 - 6:23pm / Post ID: #

Eight Years Old

When my eighth birthday rolled around, I was devastated that I was forced to wait for three more weeks until the regularly scheduled baptismal day. That was why I worked so hard to make sure that each of my children had that opportunity. (You certainly don't need MY permission to do the same biggrin.gif )

I don't know how my children have felt about this tradition. I can't remember any of them commenting on it. Maybe I should ask each of them this evening.

I'll report back....

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
24th Jun, 2004 - 6:48pm / Post ID: #

Eight Years Old

As others have said, I believe you begin to teach children the gospel from the moment you begin to interact with them. You don't wait until 8 to start and you don't stop once they turn 8.

It is true that 8 has been identified as the age of accountability, but they are really only accountable for that which they understand, even then. So, if there is something that they do that they are too young to understand is wrong, I don't think that is a problem. Not to mention, the atonement will apply in their lives for any sins they do commit.

If we wait until they are 8 to begin to teach them the gospel and right from wrong, then I believe we will be accountable for the sins they commit that they should have known not to commit except for the fact that we didn't teach them.

Post Date: 25th Jun, 2004 - 8:12am / Post ID: #

Eight Years Old
A Friend

Eight Years Old Mormon Doctrine Studies

So far all the responses have been that children should be taught to understand the first four principles of the gospel before they turn eight and that they should be baptized on their eighth birthday or as close to it as possible. Baptism is for the remission of sins, therefore, if the general opinion (so far) is that children should be baptized on their eight birthday, then is it assumed by those who've posted that children can sin prior to age eight, or in their eighth year (seventh birthday to eighth birthday)?

Also, a scripture comes to mind:

37 And again, by way of commandment to the church concerning the manner of baptism-All those who humble themselves before God, and desire to be baptized, and come forth with broken hearts and contrite spirits, and witness before the church that they have truly repented of all their sins, and are willing to take upon them the name of Jesus Christ, having a determination to serve him to the end, and truly manifest by their works that they have received of the Spirit of Christ unto the remission of their sins, shall be received by baptism into his church.  (D&C 20)

The above applies to everyone, from eight to eighty (or more.) It implies that a person must have sinned prior to baptism and also repented of their sins. Therefore, if you are baptised right when you turn eight years old, then you must be receiving a remission of sins for those sins committed in your eighth year (when you were seven years old.) Now, when you are seven, you cannot be received by baptism into the church and, in fact, since we consider that all little children, defined as children younger than eight, are alive in Christ, they do not need baptism. If a little child dies prior to eight, we do not baptize them for the dead (please correct me if I'm wrong on this point, anyone) because they are alive in Christ and sinless and are automatically saved.

So, how can a seven year old, who will be baptized on the day he or she turns eight, 1) sin, 2) repent of the sin, 3) witness their repentence before the church, and 4) manifest that they have received the Spirit of Christ unto the remission of their sins if they are still alive in Christ and have not sinned, or are not accountable before God for any wrongdoing? Also, what would be considered works that truly manifest that a seven year old, who will be baptized on his or her birthday, has received the Spirit of Christ?

Now, anticipating a possible reponse, for those who say that a child baptized on his or her birthday is sinless before baptism, or that baptism for them is not for the remission of sins, how do you reconcile the following scriptures with your belief?

5 For, if I have learned the truth, there have been disputations among you concerning the baptism of your little children.

6 And now, my son, I desire that ye should labor diligently, that this gross error should be removed from among you; for, for this intent I have written this epistle.

7 For immediately after I had learned these things of you I inquired of the Lord concerning the matter. And the word of the Lord came to me by the power of the Holy Ghost, saying:

8 Listen to the words of Christ, your Redeemer, your Lord and your God. Behold, I came into the world not to call the righteous but sinners to repentance; the whole need no physician, but they that are sick; wherefore, little children are whole, for they are not capable of committing sin; wherefore the curse of Adam is taken from them in me, that it hath no power over them; and the law of circumcision is done away in me.

9 And after this manner did the Holy Ghost manifest the word of God unto me; wherefore, my beloved son, I know that it is solemn mockery before God, that ye should baptize little children.

10 Behold I say unto you that this thing shall ye teach-repentance and baptism unto those who are accountable and capable of committing sin; yea, teach parents that they must repent and be baptized, and humble themselves as their little bchildren, and they shall all be saved with their little children.

11 And their little children need no repentance, neither baptism. Behold, baptism is unto repentance to the fulfilling the commandments unto the remission of sins.

12 But little children are alive in Christ, even from the foundation of the world; if not so, God is a partial God, and also a changeable God, and a respecter to persons; for how many little children have died without baptism!  (Moroni 8)

71 No one can be received into the church of Christ unless he has arrived unto the years of accountability before God, and is capable of repentance.  (D&C 20)

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Eight Years Old

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,