Homeless World Cup Soccer Tournament

Homeless World Cup Soccer Tournament - Movies, Music, Fashion, Sports - Posted: 1st Aug, 2007 - 8:38am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Six months of drilling teamwork and a sense of self-worth into a group of homeless men turned soccer players have pushed the pair of co-creators into the fifth annual, 48-team Homeless World Cup Soccer Tournament, held at Town Hall Square in Copenhagen, Denmark.
1st Aug, 2007 - 3:10am / Post ID: #

Homeless World Cup Soccer Tournament

What a wonderful story! I am so glad to hear that through soccer some of these people are able to get jobs, a place to live and overall their self-respect and dignity back. I hope this program can reach to many people individuals:

The program, created at the Urban Ministry Center in Charlotte, N.C., has done precisely what it was created to do. It has successfully blended guidance with detailed teachings to reach out and transform previously undisciplined men into citizens heading in the right direction.

The program is since expanded into several other cities nationwide, including New York, Atlanta, Philadelphia and Austin, TX. And it's looking to expand even more.

"We knew going in that playing soccer would motivate these guys," Rob, the team's 24-year-old head coach, said. "But we kind of underestimated its impact. Some of these have gotten jobs and found places to live since joining the team."

Many of the players on the team, including stars Ronnie "Pop" Miller and Daniel Martinez, agree.

"I have a job now, a safe place to stay," said Miller, who was homeless for a year before playing street soccer. "I"m not a great player, but this game has taught me that you have to remain determined and keep going no matter what."

"Helping others who are in the situation I was in makes me feel more human," Martinez, 24, told the Charlotte Observer in a July 20, 2007 article. "I had obstacles, but through street soccer I know I"m not alone."

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 1st Aug, 2007 - 8:38am / Post ID: #

Homeless  World Cup Soccer Tournament
A Friend

Tournament Soccer Cup World Homeless

This is an excellent demonstration of what dedicated organizations can provide to society.

I would hope that this programme expands to numerous areas, not only in the USA, but to other countries, with of course local modifications.

Society as a whole would benefit and there would be rippling effects throughout various local and business communities.

> TOPIC: Homeless World Cup Soccer Tournament

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,