West Nile Virus

West Nile Virus - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 22nd Aug, 2012 - 5:29pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
medical cutaneous condition Cutaneous Condition
Post Date: 7th Aug, 2003 - 11:38pm / Post ID: #

West Nile Virus
A Friend

West Nile Virus

Is the West Nile Virus only here, in the U.S.?  I heard that this is predicted to be worse than last year.  I caught this on CBSnews.com...

international QUOTE
West Nile Cases Triple In One Week

West Nile virus cases have tripled since last week, a top U.S. health official said Thursday, warning that this year may surpass last year's record numbers.

"The numbers are starting to change very, very quickly," said Dr. Julie Gerberding, head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "That is very concerning."

So far there are more than 153 cases in 16 states, an explosion of the virus in just a week, Gerberding said. Those numbers compare with 112 cases in four states for this date last year. Source

It's sad that you can't even go out at the cooler part of the evening without having to put on mosquito spray to keep from getting this.

Sponsored Links:
9th Aug, 2003 - 12:37am / Post ID: #

Virus Nile West

Not, is not only in the US. I know other countries suffer of this too. When I was in Maryland, the West Nile Virus was really bad...how bad is in Mississippi?.

Post Date: 9th Aug, 2003 - 4:52pm / Post ID: #

West Nile Virus
A Friend

West Nile Virus Health & Special Psychology

how bad is in Mississippi?.

I had to get the info from one of the local news channel websites.  I was going to post the link, but the link only goes to the main site.  You have to search the news stories to find it.  So, to save everyone some time, I copied and pasted it here.  ;)  There is not a day goes by, that the news isn't saying something about new cases all over the U.S.

Two new reports of the West Nile virus Friday, brings the total number of cases in the state to 10 so far this year.

Half of those cases have been reported in the last two days.

Still, Mississippi is no where near the numbers from 2002.

By this time last year, the state had 41 human cases of the illness and one West Nile related death.

Health officials are urging us to take precautions, including avoiding mosquito-prone areas and wearing insect repellant when outdoors.

It didn't say it in this article, but they have urged people to use insect repellant containing deet.  I guess deet, is more effective.

Post Date: 16th Aug, 2003 - 3:38am / Post ID: #

West Nile Virus
A Friend

Virus Nile West

I found this and I thought I would add this update to the thread.  Thank goodness, my children or I don't go outside after a good rain or in the late evening time.

CDC: West Nile entering peak season

Days after announcing the number of West Nile cases had tripled, federal health officials said Thursday that the tally has tripled again this week, with Colorado reporting almost half of the cases.

"We're just now getting into the peak period," said Dr. Stephen Ostroff, a West Nile expert with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in a press conference.

The number of human West Nile cases this year rose by 240 to 393 this week. The numbers include nine deaths: five in Colorado and two each in Texas and Alabama, according to the CDC.

https://edition.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/08/14/s...date/index.html

Post Date: 13th Sep, 2003 - 2:50am / Post ID: #

West Nile Virus
A Friend

Virus Nile West

Nearly 3,000 ill with West Nile virus

But number of U.S. deaths lower than last year, CDC reports

The number of West Nile infections this year is nearly double the amount from this time last year, but fewer people have died as a result, federal officials said Thursday.

SO FAR THIS year, 2,923 people have been infected with the virus and 54 have died. Last year at this time, there were 1,641 human cases and 72 deaths, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.

https://www.msnbc.com/news/965357.asp

26th Aug, 2007 - 12:39am / Post ID: #

West Nile Virus

Human West Nile Virus Cases Rockets In Canada
Article Date: 25 Aug 2007 - 12:00 PDT

In Saskatchewan, Canada, there were 89 probably human cases of West Nile virus infection last week, this week the figure has jumped to 339. Of the confirmed cases so far, seven are of the neurological syndrome variety, the most serious. Officials have said that the first half of August is always the period when numbers tend to peak.

According to authorities, a person in Saskatchewan currently runs a one-in-ten chance of being bitten by an infected mosquito. In 2003 there were 947 confirmed human cases of West Nile virus infection in Saskatchewan, the highest number in the region ever - sixty-three people developed the severe form, while seven died. Experts say this has definitely been the worst year since 2003.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/80620.php

According to the CDC, there have been approximately 579 cases of infection of WNV and 19 deaths in the U.S. so far this year. Here is a description of the disease, and treatment:
What Are the Symptoms of WNV?

*Serious Symptoms in a Few People. About one in 150 people infected with WNV will develop severe illness. The severe symptoms can include high fever, headache, neck stiffness, stupor, disorientation, coma, tremors, convulsions, muscle weakness, vision loss, numbness and paralysis. These symptoms may last several weeks, and neurological effects may be permanent.

*Milder Symptoms in Some People. Up to 20 percent of the people who become infected have symptoms such as fever, headache, and body aches, nausea, vomiting, and sometimes swollen lymph glands or a skin rash on the chest, stomach and back. Symptoms can last for as short as a few days, though even healthy people have become sick for several weeks.

*No Symptoms in Most People. Approximately 80 percent of people (about 4 out of 5) who are infected with WNV will not show any symptoms at all.

How Is WNV Infection Treated?
There is no specific treatment for WNV infection. In cases with milder symptoms, people experience symptoms such as fever and aches that pass on their own, although even healthy people have become sick for several weeks. In more severe cases, people usually need to go to the hospital where they can receive supportive treatment including intravenous fluids, help with breathing and nursing care.

What Should I Do if I Think I Have WNV?
Milder WNV illness improves on its own, and people do not necessarily need to seek medical attention for this infection though they may choose to do so. If you develop symptoms of severe WNV illness, such as unusually severe headaches or confusion, seek medical attention immediately. Severe WNV illness usually requires hospitalization. Pregnant women and nursing mothers are encouraged to talk to their doctor if they develop symptoms that could be WNV.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 5th Apr, 2011 - 10:03pm / Post ID: #

West Nile Virus

Name: Richard

Comments: Are there any acute or persistent infections in the West Nile Virus? maybe differences between the two?

Post Date: 22nd Aug, 2012 - 5:29pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

West Nile Virus Psychology Special & Health

The recent West Nile virus outbreak is the largest ever seen in the United States, according to new numbers from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The number of cases so far this year is the highest recorded since the disease was first detected in the United States in 1999. As of August 21, 38 states had reported human infections. The cases reported to the CDC total 1,118, including 41 deaths. Ref. CNN

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: West Nile Virus

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,