Minneapolis Bridge Collapses

Minneapolis Bridge Collapses - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 3rd Aug, 2007 - 11:37pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Seven persons dead so far and more than 60 injured as the bridge collapsed into the Mississipi River as rescue search continues.
2nd Aug, 2007 - 12:24pm / Post ID: #

What a tragedy! My heart goes to all the victims as well as their families.

MINNEAPOLIS -  Divers were preparing to plunge into the Mississippi River early Thursday to resume their search for bodies among the submerged cars, twisted steel and chunks of concrete following a deadly interstate bridge collapse.

The eight-lane Interstate 35W bridge, a major Minneapolis artery that carries more than 100,000 vehicles a day, was in the midst of being repaired and two lanes in each direction were closed when the bridge buckled Wednesday while jammed with rush-hour traffic.

Officials said that four people died, more than 60 were injured, and as many as 50 vehicles were in the river, many of their occupants having scrambled to shore. The collapse did not appear to be terrorism-related. Earlier reports had put the death toll at seven...

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 2nd Aug, 2007 - 8:32pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Collapses Bridge Minneapolis

It is all over the news, I do feel sorry, and to hear of the two people stuck under the cement and the rescue workers had to say good-bye to them yesterday evening, knowing they would not be alive this morning. It is a shame, people have to loose their lives due to neglect of others.
Heather-Rose

2nd Aug, 2007 - 8:39pm / Post ID: #

Minneapolis Bridge Collapses History & Civil Business Politics

Ginger:

and to hear of the two people stuck under the cement and the rescue workers had to say good-bye to them yesterday evening, knowing they would not be alive this morning

Oh my gosh! Nothing could have been done about rescuing these people? My heart hurts as I read this. What a terrible tragedy. It is a relief to know the school bus with the kids were able to make it.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 2nd Aug, 2007 - 8:46pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Yes, that made my gut wrench. I couldn't imagine, the thoughts running through eithers head, to accept this fate without any hope of being rescued. From what was reported there was no way to get them out, they could just communicate with them. The concrete kept shifting and was too unstable let alone heavy for them to do anything. At this point, the police are treating the scene as a crime scene, and recovery scene, they see little to no chance of finding any persons still alive.
Heather-Rose

Post Date: 2nd Aug, 2007 - 10:20pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

The Day After

Most of the dust has settled but a state of confusion still hangs over the site where a Minneapolis bridge collapsed into the Mississippi River. The rush-hour disaster that sent the roadway tumbling more than 60 feet into the water has killed at least four people. At least one died by drowning; at least one other was pinned under the rubble and could not be saved. And officials expect the death toll to rise. As of this afternoon, upward of 20 to 30 cars remain in the water, some of them submerged, and as many as 20 people remain missing. And yet recovery efforts were halted this afternoon, due to strong currents in the Mississippi River. "Nightline's" John Donvan reports live with the latest from the scene in Minneapolis. He'll also offer a glimpse of the disaster through the youngest eye -- those of children who miraculously escaped from a school bus that was trapped on the bridge.
Ref. ABC Nightline

Post Date: 3rd Aug, 2007 - 11:37pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Following Minnesota Bridge Collapse, New Scrutiny for Nation¹s Ever-Privatizing Roads

In the wake of Wednesday's fatal bridge collapse over the Mississippi River in Minneapolis, the condition of the nation's highway system is coming under increased scrutiny. The American Society of Civil Engineers estimates it would take nearly $190 billion to fix more than 70,000 bridges deemed ³structurally deficient Declining public funding has raised concerns governent officials are preparing for the privatization of roads. We speak with James Ridgeway and Daniel Schulman, authors of the Mother Jones article "The Highwaymen: Why You Could Soon Be Paying Wall Street Investors, Australian Bankers and Spanish Builders for the Privilege of Driving on American Roads."
Ref. https://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/03/1348236

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: Minneapolis Bridge Collapses

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,