Regulations Limiting Filming, Photography

Regulations Limiting Filming Photography - Movies, Music, Fashion, Sports - Posted: 8th Sep, 2007 - 2:54pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

USA New York could be considering new permit and insurance regulations for photographers and filmmakers that would radically undermine the First amendment right to photograph and film in public places.
Post Date: 2nd Aug, 2007 - 10:34pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Independent Artists Lead Fight Against Proposed New York City Regulations Limiting Filming, Photography in Public Places

The Mayor's office of Film, Theater, and Broadcasting is considering new permit and insurance regulations for photographers and filmmakers that would radically undermine the First amendment right to photograph and film in public places. If passed they would have harsh consequences for independent and low-budget photographers, filmmakers, journalists, artists, students, tourists, amateurs, and really, anyone with a still or video camera and a sense of curiosity about New York city. We¹re joined by three guests: Beka Economopoulos from the coalition Picture New York, Christopher Dunn from the New York Civil Liberties Union, and independent filmmaker Jem Cohen.

Ref. https://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/02/1455217

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 14th Aug, 2007 - 8:57pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Photography Filming Limiting Regulations

Since when did you have a "first amendment right" to film in a public place?

16th Aug, 2007 - 9:18pm / Post ID: #

Regulations Limiting Filming, Photography Sports & Fashion Music Movies

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

I think it would fall under the freedom of press part of the first amendment as I think film is an modern equivalent of the 18th century press.

Notice, however, the amendment says that "Congress" shall make no law abridging freedom of the press. Does that apply to a Mayor, who is not part of Congress, but rather part of the Executive branch?

In my opinion let people photograph what they want, as long as it is not for a dangerous or illegal purpose (someone casing a building to plan a terrorist act or putting cameras in dressing rooms).

Rather off topic, but...

My question is: Why does the mayor have an office of Film, Theater, and Broadcasting? To me that is just a stupid waste of government funding to create an unneeded department.

Post Date: 16th Aug, 2007 - 9:52pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I think it would fall under the freedom of press part of the first amendment as I think film is an modern equivalent of the 18th century press.

It is when being used to report news, or perhaps a documentary. But you believe the Constitution protects the right of Hollywood to shoot films anywhere they want for the purpose of entertainment?

Notice, however, the amendment says that "Congress" shall make no law abridging freedom of the press. Does that apply to a Mayor, who is not part of Congress, but rather part of the Executive branch?

The bill of rights has been extended to the states. And, it has been applied as prohibiting any legislative activity (and that would include ordinances by a city, which are merely parts of a state).

In my opinion let people photograph what they want, as long as it is not for a dangerous or illegal purpose (someone casing a building to plan a terrorist act or putting cameras in dressing rooms).

I'd suggest the proper balance is whether the people in the location want the inconvenience of the assembly, which assembly is not for political speech but merely to make moves that entertain and make $$$. So...you want to use NY streets to film your movie? Fine, but it's going to inconvenience our citizens and we want compensation for that privilege.

I don't see anything wrong with that.

16th Aug, 2007 - 10:14pm / Post ID: #

But you believe the Constitution protects the right of Hollywood to shoot films anywhere they want for the purpose of entertainment?

Unfortunately, I believe that entertainment does fall under the Freedom of press clause. But I do not think it is the right of people to film wherever they want. I just believe that this is not a constitutional issue.

It is more of a pedestrian, traffic issue. If someone is filming in a street or near a building, and if pedestrian or Vehicle traffic is affected, then laws can be made pertaining to the filming. If an individual's travel is affected by a film maker or tourist then it is under these local ordinances then they should be regulated. Show that an individual is affecting another's right to get from point A to point B then I am with you. If it is just someone filming out in public but they do not affect traffic flow then I do not see a city being able to stop filming a photography in a public place.

Rather off topic, but...

Tortdog, I think our politics would be similar from some of your other postings. I just don't see New York's reasoning in stoping normal photography and filming if it does not step on other people's rights

Post Date: 17th Aug, 2007 - 2:07pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

The Supreme Court has held that commercial speech enjoys limited protection under the First Amendment. But not to the extent of other speech.

If it is just someone filming out in public but they do not affect traffic flow then I do not see a city being able to stop filming a photography in a public place.

I do not think that is what is at issue here. But I might be wrong.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
8th Sep, 2007 - 2:54pm / Post ID: #

Regulations Limiting Filming Photography

To be honest Id hate to have someone photographing me while I was in the mall or on the street without my permission. Its happened to me before and I got really angry.

> TOPIC: Regulations Limiting Filming, Photography

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,