The Apostle - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 16th Aug, 2007 - 5:48pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Closed
To replace Pres. Faust
10th Aug, 2007 - 12:59pm / Post ID: #

The Next Apostle

The Next Apostle

Last time we were 'on the money' with who was going to be the 'next' Apostle. Now, we are here again, whom do you think will be chosen to replace Pres. Faust?

Sponsored Links:
10th Aug, 2007 - 1:14pm / Post ID: #

Apostle The

whom do you think will be chosen to replace Pres. Faust?

This is very hard to know for obvious reasons, I haven't given it too much though as yet but I think one of these three maybe called in the First Presidency:

1. Elder L. Tom Perry

2. Elder Russel N. Nelson

3. Elder M. Russell Ballard

12th Aug, 2007 - 6:26am / Post ID: #

The Next Apostle Studies Doctrine Mormon

Also haven't had much time to speculate yet, but my top three are these:

1. Boyd K. Packer
2. Dallin H. Oaks
3. Henry B. Eyring

13th Aug, 2007 - 2:40pm / Post ID: #

Apostle The

My guesses are:
1. Boyd K. Packer
2. L. Tom Perry
3. Jeffrey R. Holland

16th Aug, 2007 - 3:22pm / Post ID: #

Apostle The

I just read an article in the Salt Lake Tribune who speculates who will be the Apostle that will replace Pres. Faust. If the article is accurate, my first choice is the correct one. wink.gif

Now it begins.

In Mormon living rooms, church foyers, at family reunions and on Mormon blogs, LDS Church members already are speculating about who will become the next counselor to LDS President Gordon B. Hinckley following the Aug. 10 death of his second counselor, James E. Faust.

After all, it's been 19 years since the last counselor in the First Presidency died, and Mormons love to speculate.

Faithful Mormons believe the choice will be inspired by God. It won't be based on tradition or seniority or favoritism. It's not a vote or a popularity contest. It won't be announced on some predictable schedule.

"The decision rests with President Hinckley," LDS Church spokesman Scott Trotter said Wednesday. "He will decide who it will be and when it will happen."

But that hasn't stopped the talk among Latter-day Saints, who are all ardent hierarchy watchers. It's human nature.

There is only one rule for choosing a member of the First Presidency: no women. Other than that, the choice is wide open, but tends toward men who already have proved their worth. It's a lifetime position, after all, so Mormon presidents are not willing to take many risks. Most, but not all counselors were drawn from the Quorum of Twelve Apostles, a group of men whose place in the seniority is determined by the day they were appointed an apostle.

Within the Quorum, the possibilities are intriguing.

Some believe Hinckley will replace Faust with another longtime colleague, Elder L. Tom Perry, the No. 2 man in the Quorum of Twelve Apostles, who has been an LDS general authority since 1972. Perry was a Boston business executive and recently spent two years in Germany, building up the church there. But he turned 85 this month.

Others predict Hinckley, who enjoys surprises and clearly knows the benefit of having younger men in the mix, might pick Apostle M. Russell Ballard (No. 5). Ballard is 79. A popular choice would be Apostle Jeffrey R. Holland (No. 9), former president of Brigham Young University who spent two years in Chile, learning how to manage rapid growth and the cultural challenges facing South American Mormons. Holland is 66 and was chosen to speak at Faust's funeral.

Choosing Russell M. Nelson (No. 3) would guarantee that Hinckley would always have a doctor nearby. Nelson was a heart surgeon before becoming an apostle.

If Hinckley were really bold, he would grab Apostle David Bednar, the youngest man in the Quorum at 55. What Bednar, former president of BYU-Idaho, lacks in experience, he could make up in enthusiasm and good health.

Post Date: 16th Aug, 2007 - 3:44pm / Post ID: #

The Next Apostle
A Friend

The Next Apostle

After all, it's been 19 years since the last counselor in the First Presidency died, and Mormons love to speculate.

I must not be a very good Mormon. I am not curious at all as to whom the next counselor will be. (And I'm pretty sure whom the next prophet might be!) I don't see that it matters, much. I mean, all of them are apostles. Whether he's a counselor to the First Presidency or "merely" one of the Twelve, well, hmmm, seems like about asking for the the difference between a flea on a hog or a flea on a dog. (Nice hogs and dogs, mind ya.) And we all know that it matters not to WHAT we are called, but how we magnify the callings we are given.

But that hasn't stopped the talk among Latter-day Saints, who are all ardent hierarchy watchers. It's human nature.

Evidently I am not human either. I heard Sen. Orin Hatch was really an alien (seriously, it appeared in those gossip news mags). So might be some truth to that.

There is only one rule for choosing a member of the First Presidency: no women.

Is this true? Could the person be a male who does not hold the priesthood? What about an unbaptized male?

Choosing Russell M. Nelson (No. 3) would guarantee that Hinckley would always have a doctor nearby. Nelson was a heart surgeon before becoming an apostle.

This one got me laughing. If we are going to go on professions, maybe it should be Elder Oaks to fill the "lawyer's" chair. After all, Faust was a lawyer and so is Oaks. That way Pres. Hinckley could get immediate legal advice. Of course, I view this as absurd (just as a doctor's slot).

Reconcile Edited: tortdog on 16th Aug, 2007 - 4:07pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
16th Aug, 2007 - 5:30pm / Post ID: #

The Apostle

Tortdog, the article on the Salt Lake Tribune is supposed to be humorous, not meant to be taken literally. wink.gif

I must not be a very good Mormon. I am not curious at all as to whom the next counselor will be. (And I'm pretty sure whom the next prophet might be!) I don't see that it matters, much.

I suppose you are just not a curious person or plainly not interested in the matter. I am always excited when an Apostle will be chosen. In the last two Apostles we have a pilot and an educator, I like to see variety (not that it matters, just my personal preference).

Post Date: 16th Aug, 2007 - 5:48pm / Post ID: #

The Next Apostle
A Friend

The Apostle Mormon Doctrine Studies

I am more curious about the new apostle (not the new counselor). I didn't realize that article was tongue in cheek (well, to some extent, but).

I do wonder, though, what the qualifications for counselor in the First Presidency are.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: The Next Apostle

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,