Tortdog Introduction

Tortdog Introduction - Introductions, Member Sharing - Posted: 15th Aug, 2007 - 7:59pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (17) »
Closed
USA RM to Brazil / Tax Attorney
Post Date: 12th Aug, 2007 - 4:05pm / Post ID: #

Tortdog Introduction
A Friend

Tortdog Introduction

Former CPA and current tax attorney in Texas. Served a mission in Brazil.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 12th Aug, 2007 - 4:52pm / Post ID: #

Introduction Tortdog

Welcome LDS Member

Thanks for posting your introduction message, this INTERNATIONAL Forum allows you to interact positively with many people on varying topics such as LDS Church news, Doctrine, the Book of Mormon, etc. However, do keep in mind that LDS Related Discussion is kept only in the LDS Related Boards as this is an International Community.

Be sure to read: The Art of Discussion.

The next thing you should do now is update your profile. You can do this by clicking the link called, 'My Controls' in the top menu. You may wish to venture over to the LDS Deep Doctrine board or the News & RM Section and have a look around.

If you like LDS Based Games then you may also be interested in playing: Nephi RPG where you can 'Journey to the Promised Land' and see if you really know a lot about the Book of Mormon.

Here are some quick links for you to look over when you have time:
Read --> Posting Policy | See All Boards | Site Map | FAQ | Upgrade

**PLEASE NOTE** If you joined just to access the Mature LDS Board then you need to Upgrade, see here for reviews: Click Here. Upgrading is NOT necessary for the other LDS Related Boards.

Post Date: 12th Aug, 2007 - 6:50pm / Post ID: #

Dia. Mod + Chief Mod
[?] CPosts: 17,375
Flag Posts: 21,317
Avg: 2.7 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 70.2%
[+] Gain: 1,240.35 FP
Charm: 342

Tortdog Introduction Sharing Member & Introductions

Hi tortdog, welcome. Hope you have a great time in our community. Feel free to check the boards and add to the discussions. All the best.
LDS

Blog Read My Blog
Contribution: Diamond Emeritus | Credit: | Gender: Female | Politics: Humanitarian
Tenet: -- | Reason: Discuss Global Issues | Age: Forty Something | Joined: Reg. 8th Sep, 2002 - 5:01pm
Signature: Don't make someone your priority when you're only their option
Post Date: 14th Aug, 2007 - 8:06pm / Post ID: #

Introduction Tortdog

Your last post was deleted for not being constructive, based on one or more of the following:

1. Stay on the topic, see our Constructive Posting Policy
2. Ensure that you use good English, no slang, proper spelling, uppercase letters where necessary, etc.
3. Do not post just off topic messages or lengthy quotes, only Bots may do this, Members must add input.
4. Make sure that you are not just trying to increase your post count by either duplicating or posting vague information, but also add worthwhile replies that are related to the Topic.

Post Date: 15th Aug, 2007 - 6:56pm / Post ID: #

Dia. Mod + Chief Mod

Introduction Tortdog

Tortdog, I edited your last post in the US selling weapons thread and as stated on my edit, I said I would reply to your offtopic here:

But by declaring that these countries are "off topic," you have drawn a little sandbox and demanded that we discuss within the confines of that sandbox (with anything outside YOUR boundaries off limits).

That limitation on your part (and JB's, apparently) restricts the discussion so much that we will never be able to understand the whys and discuss/debate them.

It is more than obvious why Russia should not be discussed in that thread, or is it the topic of the thread "Russia sells weapons?". I stated the US being the largest exporter of weapons but you bring up to the picture Russia, France, China....basically who cares? We are not speaking about those countries, we are speaking about the USA, if you want to discuss the other countries just open a new thread and get over it. That's point one.

But you go beyond that. YOU bring up Panama and when I address YOUR point, you declare ME off topic again!?

If you carefully read my statement it was about the US selling weaponry to Panama but you brought up the issue of the US removing a dictator from Panama which is absolutely offtopic.

So in essence, unless you are willing to FULLY engage the discussion, without declaring relevant parts as "off topic," then I cannot discuss.

If you do not like the rules and policies that we have, it is your choice to get or not get involved into the discussion. I will continue doing my job as a Chief Moderator and make sure you abide by the rules you agreed upon registration.

Just because YOU believe something is off topic, does not make it so.

Actually yes, I am the Chief Moderator and if I decide something is offtopic is offtopic. You may want to contact the admin (JB) if you have issues with my moderation skills.

And continuing to entertain you, as you bring up examples (e.g., Panama) while refusing to let me respond to those examples is patently absurd.

Whether is absurd or not, is a matter of opinion and does not really matter.You have offtopic tags to handle offtopic issues so I do not really know what your rant is about.

Please, try to familiarize yourself with how the Community works. You have ranted about italicization and now offtopics without taking the time to read and see how this forum works. It is you who must adapt to how things run here and not the other way around. Thanks.

Blog Read My Blog
Contribution: Diamond Emeritus | Credit: | Gender: Female | Politics: Humanitarian
Tenet: -- | Reason: Discuss Global Issues | Age: Forty Something | Joined: Reg. 8th Sep, 2002 - 5:01pm
Post Date: 15th Aug, 2007 - 7:34pm / Post ID: #

Tortdog Introduction
A Friend

Tortdog Introduction

It is more than obvious why Russia should not be discussed in that thread, or is it the topic of the thread "Russia sells weapons?". I stated the US being the largest exporter of weapons but you bring up to the picture Russia, France, China....basically who cares? We are not speaking about those countries, we are speaking about the USA, if you want to discuss the other countries just open a new thread and get over it. That's point one.

You err. When Russia and China supply weapons to Iran, it forces a U.S. response. Hence the sale of weapons by Russia and China IS relevant to the discussion. You simply fail to see it.

Opening a thread about Russia selling arms does not fix it, because if we want to analyze WHY Russia is selling those arms, then we will inevitably be led into discussions about those Russia considers to be "competitors" in the world, e.g., Britain, America, etc.

But you don't see that. Let me be so bold as to suggest that you simply do not understand this issue well enough. Because if you did, your view that this is "irrelevant" would hardly be taken seriously.

If you carefully read my statement it was about the US selling weaponry to Panama but you brought up the issue of the US removing a dictator from Panama which is absolutely offtopic.

I read your statement carefully. And I believe that I understood your point. That's why I went into what actually happened in Panama. You can't just go off and make a list of countries as examples to make your point and not expect me to delve into the details. If you do not want to discuss Panama, then don't bring it up. That's your choice.

But apparently, you believe it okay to bring up Panama to prove your argument, but do not allow me to analyze if it's truly pertinent.

If you do not like the rules and policies that we have, it is your choice to get or not get involved into the discussion. I will continue doing my job as a Chief Moderator and make sure you abide by the rules you agreed upon registration.

It has nothing to do with the rules and policies themselves. It has to do with the application of those rules. Your declaration of points as being irrelevant and therefore off topic (despite my explanations on WHY they are relevant with 3rd party sources to back me up) utterly shuts down the discussion. It makes the debate rather useless.

In essence (from what I am seeing in my short sojourn here), during a discussion with a moderator that moderator is able to bring up examples to buttress a point, refuse to allow others to discuss whether those examples were correct/relevant/accurate under the guise of being off topic, and the moderator thus shuts down discussion to reflect his view. That unwisely (in my opinion) limits the free flow of ideas and thoughts (especially when you do not even take the time to understand the points being made).

Hey, it's your sandbox. Just allows me to understand that discussions can be squelched when a moderator fails to grasp the points.

Tort
Just because YOU believe something is off topic, does not make it so.

Chief Moderator
Actually yes, I am the Chief Moderator and if I decide something is offtopic is offtopic. You may want to contact the admin (JB) if you have issues with my moderation skills.

Wonderful. You've made yourself very clear. I will have to steer clear of controversial topics with you in the future.

Please, try to familiarize yourself with how the Community works. You have ranted about italicization and now offtopics without taking the time to read and see how this forum works. It is you who must adapt to how things run here and not the other way around. Thanks.

I really resent the accusation. It's incorrect. I have spent about 1 to 1.5 hours familiarizing myself with this forum (being quite different from others I am familiar with). All I am trying to point out is that the moderation technique in THIS example is shutting down relevant points of discussion at hand. It's as though you (in this instance) cannot grasp the American export of arms to the Middle East were a RESPONSE to recent LARGE exports of sophisticated weaponry by China and Russia to Iran (which America considers to be a terrorist state).

In essence, you've taken a side. You are saying (by stating Russia's sales are "off topic") that America is NOT responding to Russian sales. Yet you completely fail to grasp that, despite my repeated attempts to explain the climate.

Reconcile Edited: tortdog on 15th Aug, 2007 - 7:55pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 15th Aug, 2007 - 7:46pm / Post ID: #

Dia. Mod + Chief Mod

Tortdog Introduction

Tortdog, relax. I am not going to reply to each one of your rants because it seems like we will not just understand each other and you are assuming intentions which is unfortunate. I am just telling you (mind you, I am not asking) that I will continue to enforce the rules because that's my job here.

Having said that, your contributions to the Community ARE appreciated (I personally do as well) and it's your choice whether you want to steer clear or not from controversial topics with me.

Looking forward to your posts,
LDS

Blog Read My Blog
Post Date: 15th Aug, 2007 - 7:59pm / Post ID: #

Tortdog Introduction
A Friend

Tortdog Introduction Introductions & Member Sharing

If there were a way to make this whole conversation private, I would have preferred it. But with my current points, that's not in the cards.

[Insert wisecrack about being a freeloader here]

I will certainly make an effort in the future to avoid confrontation with moderators. And once I am familiar with who they all are, once they declare something "off topic" that I consider to be spot ON topic, I'll shut up and move on to another discussion.

Not my place. Not my rules. Not my judgment.

Maybe I could refer to this as the PRJing a discussion in the future. Soon as I'm "experienced" enough to take this private (should we have any need to), I'll do so in the future. 'Course, y'all might prefer that I just shut up and not PM...

By the way, I really do hate it when board degenerate into personal arguments, etc. This has already take far too much bandwidth.

Reconcile Edited: tortdog on 15th Aug, 2007 - 8:16pm

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (17) »

> TOPIC: Tortdog Introduction

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,