Suicide Among Soldiers

Suicide Soldiers - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 29th May, 2008 - 10:41pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (9) »
USA US Army stats
Post Date: 16th Aug, 2007 - 10:22am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Suicide Among Soldiers

SUICIDES UP AMONG U.S. SOLDIERS

The number of soldiers who committed suicide increased 15 percent from 2005 to 2006, according to an Army report.
Ref. https://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/15/soldier.suicide/index.html

Sponsored Links:
17th Aug, 2007 - 5:33pm / Post ID: #

Soldiers Suicide

Truly this is tragic that troopers are so depressed as to take their own lives. To be killed in line of duty is bad enough but I can not imagine the reaction of the families when they are told the bad news.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

17th Aug, 2007 - 6:09pm / Post ID: #

Suicide Among Soldiers History & Civil Business Politics

From the Article

In 2006, the overall suicide rate for the United States was 13.4 per 100,000 people. It was 21.1 per 100,000 people for all men aged 17 to 45, compared to a rate of 17.8 for men in the Army.

The title of the Article was "Suicides up among U.S. soldiers".

Why wasn't it "Soldiers have a lesser Suicide rate then others of their own age."

I believe this may be another example of the Media editors showing the bad side of the Military rather then focusing on something good that may be happening in the Military.

From the article

As of June 30, 2007, 44 soldiers had committed suicide

If the trend continues for this year, then there will be a decrease of suicides this year from last year. Will CNN then write an article that Suicides are decreasing. I don't think they will.

I believe we have some good men and women in the Military and they are often doing a thankless job. It's Good that those in the Military are much more stable then the rest of the population their age or there would be more suicides.

Reconcile Edited: dbackers on 17th Aug, 2007 - 6:10pm

International Level: Politician / Political Participation: 109 ActivistPoliticianPolitician 10.9%

Post Date: 20th Aug, 2007 - 5:54pm / Post ID: #

Suicide Among Soldiers
A Friend

Soldiers Suicide

I suppose the headline, "Suicide Rates for Soldiers Below General Population" doesn't sound so newsworthy.

Post Date: 13th Feb, 2008 - 12:46pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Soldiers Suicide

Vets who kill selves mostly from Guard or Reserves

More than half of all veterans who took their own lives after returning from Iraq or Afghanistan were members of the National Guard or Reserves, according to new government data that prompted activists on Tuesday to call for a closer examination of the problem.
Ref. https://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695252680,00.html

Post Date: 13th Feb, 2008 - 2:06pm / Post ID: #

Suicide Among Soldiers
A Friend

Suicide Among Soldiers

I find it amazing how the media will go out of their way to try to make the public outcry on this war even louder. Being a combat veteran myself I have talked to numerous soldiers as they were coming home or going over to the middle east. Most of them are very proud of the job they are doing and tell me that it is not as bad over there as the media plays it up to be.

That being said I can see where some who joined the military for the college benefits can not handle the stress of combat. They are the ones I feel are more prone to suicide. The military has many programs in place to see the warning signs and take steps to get their soldiers into counselling. They do not catch them all and a few do commit suicide. This is why the rate is lower among the military.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
13th Feb, 2008 - 6:47pm / Post ID: #

Suicide Soldiers

If I joined the military reserve then that means I'm more likely to commit suicide so the easy answer for me --> stay out of the military.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 18 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 1.8%

29th May, 2008 - 10:41pm / Post ID: #

Suicide Soldiers Politics Business Civil & History

Unfortunately, suicides among soldiers in 2007 hit the highest rate: 115.

WASHINGTON - Army soldiers committed suicide in 2007 at the highest rate on record, and the toll is climbing ever higher this year as long war deployments stretch on. At least 115 soldiers killed themselves last year, up from 102 the previous year, the Army said Thursday.

Nearly a third of them died at the battlefront - 32 in Iraq and four in Afghanistan. But 26 percent had never deployed to either conflict.

"We see a lot of things that are going on in the war which do contribute - mainly the longtime and multiple deployments away from home, exposure to really terrifying and horrifying things, the easy availability of loaded weapons and a force that's very, very busy right now," said Col. Elspeth Ritchie psychiatric consultant to the Army surgeon general.

"And so all of those together we think are part of what may contribute, especially if somebody's having difficulties already," she told a Pentagon news conference.

Some common factors among those who took their own lives were trouble with relationships, work problems and legal and financial difficulties, officials said.

More U.S. troops also died overall in hostilities in 2007 than in any of the previous years in Iraq and Afghanistan. Violence increased in Afghanistan with a Taliban resurgence, and U.S. deaths increased in Iraq even as violence there declined in the second half of the year.

Increasing the strain on the force last year was the extension of deployments to 15 months from 12 months, a practice ending this year.

The 115 confirmed suicides among active-duty soldiers and National Guard and Reserve troops who had been activated amounted to a rate of 18.8 per 100,000 troops - the highest since the Army began keeping records in 1980. Two other deaths are suspected suicides but still under investigation.

So far this year, the trend is comparable to last year, said Lt. Col. Thomas E. Languirand, head of command policies and programs.

As of Monday, there had been 38 confirmed suicides in 2008 and 12 more death that are suspected suicides but still under investigation, he said.

The rate of suicide continues to rise despite a host of efforts the Army has made to improve the mental health of a force under unprecedented stress from the longer-than-expected war in Iraq and the long and repeated tours of duty it has prompted....

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (9) »

> TOPIC: Suicide Among Soldiers

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,