Women More Spiritual

Women Spiritual - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 21st Aug, 2007 - 7:34pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Is that doctrinal or urban legend?
17th Aug, 2007 - 10:24pm / Post ID: #

Women More Spiritual

Women More Spiritual

There is a common thought amongst Members that Women are somehow more spiritual and are regarded as such because they were given the mission to bring spirit children into the world. They are more sensitive and thus more in tune with the spirit. These are some of the 'theories' given, but is there really anything doctrinal to say that women are more spiritual than men or is this another urban legend?

Sponsored Links:
17th Aug, 2007 - 11:13pm / Post ID: #

Spiritual Women

First of all, let me start by saying that women are indeed "special". The mission of bringing spirits children into the world is (I personally believe) the most important job a person can ever be engaged into. I do not believe in chances. There must be a reason God chose women for this job before coming to this Earth.

Having said that, I have heard for years the theory that women are more spiritually oriented than men for years. If I have to analyze in my Branch, I would say it is a fact. If we analyze the issues the General Church as a whole go through seems to be a fact as well.

In the Book of Mormon we also learn about their sensitive spirits and how inclined they were as well as to the things of the Spirit.

If we heard past conferences, the Brethren always share letters of heart-breaking wives whose husbands (a lot of them active Priesthood holders) are engaged in evil practices. I personally never heard a similar story about wives, NOT because it does not exist those stories (of course they do) but as a WHOLE it seems to me that women (at least in the Church) seem to be not only more spiritually oriented but dedicated to their callings, families as well as Matriarchs of their homes. Many times, these women are the ones who encouraged their active Priesthood holder husbands to read Scriptures, have Family Home Evening, Family prayer between others and these wives stand by their husbands in love and respect continually.

I do not think there is scriptural evidence of women being more spiritual than men, I do not think is an urban legend either but I do believe that women are special and they possess special spirits which prompted Heavenly Father to gave them such a responsibility as to bring children into this world.

Women are capable to err, commit sin and do all the things a man does. There is no doubt on my mind about it. Nevertheless, I do think that generally they tend to be more spiritual oriented than men based on my observation as a member for the past 20 years and have lived in 3 different countries.

20th Aug, 2007 - 6:59pm / Post ID: #

Women More Spiritual Studies Doctrine Mormon

First of all, let me start by saying that women are indeed "special". The mission of bringing spirits children into the world is (I personally believe) the most important job a person can ever be engaged into.

I believe you are correct LDS_Forever. I have more respect for my wife then any other person in the world

But I also believe that women have their own challenges that they have struggled with.
From Elder Holland's Conference talk "The Tongue of Angels"

In that same spirit we speak to the sisters as well, for the sin of verbal abuse knows no gender. Wives, what of the unbridled tongue in your mouth, of the power for good or ill in your words? How is it that such a lovely voice which by divine nature is so angelic, so close to the veil, so instinctively gentle and inherently kind could ever in a turn be so shrill, so biting, so acrid and untamed? A woman's words can be more piercing than any dagger ever forged, and they can drive the people they love to retreat beyond a barrier more distant than anyone in the beginning of that exchange could ever have imagined. Sisters, there is no place in that magnificent spirit of yours for acerbic or abrasive expression of any kind, including gossip or backbiting or catty remarks. Let it never be said of our home or our ward or our neighborhood that "the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity . . . [burning] among our members."

As men have usually had to deal with sins regarding controlling our anger and sexual desires, I believe women have had to struggle with controlling their desire to gossip, backbite, and judge other based on the outward appearance.

I believe Men and Women have different challenges and that no Gender has a Monopoly on either vice or virtue.

20th Aug, 2007 - 7:05pm / Post ID: #

Spiritual Women

Dbackers:

I believe women have had to struggle with controlling their desire to gossip, backbite, and judge other based on the outward appearance.

This is so true! (and it's not a stereotype) Women deal with these challenges daily as well as controlling their tongue (as Elder Holland mentioned) and let's not forget the nagging.

I do not think there is Scripture support for the belief that women are more Spiritual than men but I do think they are generally speaking.

20th Aug, 2007 - 8:59pm / Post ID: #

Spiritual Women

A talk by Elder Neal A. Maxwell
The Women of God

In our modern kingdom, it is no accident that women were, through the Relief Society, assigned compassionate service. So often the service of women seems instinctive, while that of some men seems more labored. It is precisely because the daughters of Zion are so uncommon that the adversary will not leave them alone

I believe women are more sensitive to the important themes of the gospel including charity.

As a man, I agree with Elder Maxwell. I do not do as well at Home Teaching and Service(I still get it done). I have to Labor at opening up to people, while my wife naturally enjoys going to other peoples homes and doing meaningful service.

20th Aug, 2007 - 11:04pm / Post ID: #

Women More Spiritual

I understand and concur with the thoughts given, however the subject is not about the characteristics of women, it is if there is anything Doctrinal to say that women are more spiritual than men and the answer so far is no. In fact, the lack of womanhood emphasized or women being publicized in the scriptures on both sides of the world would indicate that women do not have any significant spiritual role let alone to be more spiritual than men. Now, let it be said that I am NOT saying that women do not have a significant role, I am showing that ancient scripture does not give a significant role for women save for specific events. This may indicate why even in other secular Christian religions of today women do not hold many positions of authority or 'grandeur'.

Of course the D&C tells about the role of women and that men cannot achieve exaltation without the union of the two, but at the same time all major assignments and movements seem to fall on the man (we may argue this is based on the Priesthood) with no mention that women are somehow more spiritual. Any thoughts?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
21st Aug, 2007 - 7:28pm / Post ID: #

Women Spiritual

I am not sure if this is an indication that women are more spiritual,but according to the churches statistics 53% of the members are women and 47 % of members are men.

I am not sure that this means anything as it does not show the amount of spirituality that men or women have.

In fact, the lack of womanhood emphasized or women being publicized in the scriptures on both sides of the world would indicate that women do not have any significant spiritual role let alone to be more spiritual than men.

I believe the lack of women in the scriptures is not an indication of lack of spirituality, but more an indication of the type of societies that these individuals lived in. Their cultures (not just the israelites and Nephites but most cultures at that time) were based on a male domination of women.

But if we look at the words of christ he held women in very high regard.

From Matthew 12: 48-50

48 But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?
  49 And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

He held both genders in equal regard, but he understood that they had different responsibilities.

From Daryll "Watson's Women in the Bible: Part 2"
Non-LDS but had some good points

In the Old Testament women prophesied, judged (even speaking God's Word to men). In the New Testament, women prophesied (Acts 21:9) and expounded the scriptures to men (Acts 18:26), though not always correctly (Rev. 2:20). Women are, too, encouraged to teach younger women (Titus 2:4). Men and women are to teach their children (Eph. 6:1), though men have the greater responsibility (Eph. 6:4).

So I believe that Men and Women are equally spiritual but this spirituality is expressed in different ways. (both Genders express spirituality in both ways, but I wanted to show the primary way for each gender)

Women=Charity, compassion, nurturing, children, communication,Motherhood.
Men= Leadership, going out into all the world to teach,Protecting the Family,Fatherhood.

Post Date: 21st Aug, 2007 - 7:34pm / Post ID: #

Women More Spiritual
A Friend

Women Spiritual Mormon Doctrine Studies

Back directly to the topic, on whether this is theory or doctrine, I'd have to argue it's all theory. I am not aware of any scriptures (including all those used in this discussion) that state women are more in tune to the Spirit, more God-like, or anything of that sort. And in fact, we have an indication that the first woman chose to disobey God (thankfully) rather than Adam's complete obedience.

So while I agree with the theory, it can't be said to be doctrine.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Women More Spiritual

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,