Msg Ingredient - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 9th Oct, 2007 - 5:00pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Why do we use it if it causes cancer?
Post Date: 18th Aug, 2007 - 2:27am / Post ID: #

Msg As An Ingredient
A Friend

Msg As An Ingredient

Why do we still use msg in so many seasoning products when it has been proved to be cancer causing?

Sponsored Links:
18th Aug, 2007 - 2:44am / Post ID: #

Ingredient As Msg

I have no idea. Is this product used in general cooking or in restaurants? It sounds very scary the fact that it may cause cancer, how come it hasn't been banned in Trinidad?

8th Oct, 2007 - 8:53pm / Post ID: #

Msg As An Ingredient Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Msg had me scratching my head so a good look at google and wiki revealed this,

Monosodium glutamate, sodium glutamate, flavour enhancer 621, EU food additive code: E621, HS code: 29224220 (IUPAC name 2-aminopentanedioic acid. Also known as 2-aminoglutaric acid), commonly known as MSG, Ajinomoto, Vetsin, or accent, is a sodium salt of glutamic acid. MSG is a food additive, popularly marketed as a "flavour enhancer".

Although traditional Asian cuisine uses flavour-enhancing ingredients which contain high concentrations of MSG, it was not isolated until 1907. MSG was subsequently patented by the Japanese Ajinomoto Corporation in 1909. In its pure form, it appears as a white crystalline powder; when dissolved in water (or saliva) it rapidly dissociates into sodium cations and glutamate anions (glutamate is the anionic form of glutamic acid, a naturally occurring amino acid).

Lower on the page has all the health concerns.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosodium_glutamate

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please learn how to use the Quote Tags. See our Constructive Posting Policy.

8th Oct, 2007 - 9:01pm / Post ID: #

Ingredient As Msg

Guilty as charged! I must confess that I still use MSG when cooking Chinese food, even though, I am aware that it was recently linked to causing cancer. Why? Well, my first excuse is, I do not use it very regularly; maybe once every two or three months. And my second excuse is, scientists are not always very accurate in their findings!

Rather off topic, but...
First of all, scientists claimed that margarine was healthier for you since it has less cholesterol than butter. Now they are saying that margarine has the same amount of cholesterol as butter. So how can you believe anything that these scientists say?

8th Oct, 2007 - 9:13pm / Post ID: #

Ingredient As Msg

It is not the first time I have heard that MSG is bad, but my main question is how important is it to the food taste or quality, in other words, if you do not cook with it is there a drastic change?

9th Oct, 2007 - 4:38pm / Post ID: #

Msg As An Ingredient

my main question is how important is it to the food taste or quality, in other words, if you do not cook with it is there a drastic change?

Believe or not JB, it makes a world of difference when you cook Chinese food with MSG. There are times when I forget to add this ingredient to my chinese dish and the results are very disappointing. I have tried to find "healthy" substitutes but nothing works as well as the MSG. There is something about the MSG that adds a lot of flavour to your dish!

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
9th Oct, 2007 - 4:53pm / Post ID: #

Msg As Ingredient

After reading this I wonder if Chinese restaurants in Trinidad use this product, I would be a bit concerned about it if they do.

9th Oct, 2007 - 5:00pm / Post ID: #

Msg As Ingredient Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean

Of course they do, there is nothing really healthy about any commercial food out there, more especially in Trinidad.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Msg As An Ingredient

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,