Peru: Why God?

Peru God - Studies of Catholicism - Posted: 19th Aug, 2007 - 9:41pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
The worst area hit - a Church where they were in worship...
Post Date: 18th Aug, 2007 - 4:47pm / Post ID: #

Many were in attendance for a Church service celebration in Peru when the roof of the Church caved in over 200 people. Many ask why God would do such a thing... what are your thoughts?

Sponsored Links:
19th Aug, 2007 - 11:30am / Post ID: #

God Peru

I have no answer for that, maybe someone else will, but out of the tradegy there comes a miracle:

REPORTS: MAN PULLED BABY FROM QUAKE RUINS

A 10-month-old boy was pulled from the ruins of a collapsed church seven hours after an earthquake leveled the Peruvian city of Pisco, local media reported Saturday.
Ref. https://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/americas/08/...y.ap/index.html

Post Date: 19th Aug, 2007 - 11:32am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Peru: Why God? Catholicism Studies

Why would God do such a thing? Guessing from the way you asked the question, we are to assume that God does exist, and God did do such a thing. So why would God do it?
Since it says in the bible that God regreted his mass murders and promised never to do it again, this must have been an accident. But that comes into contradiction with a common assumption, God is omniscient and all powerful. Which means something is afoot, because it would be impossible for such a god to have an accident.
And since it says that God made that promise, and such a contradiction came into place, if we were to put all faith in God, that makes the wrongdoers the writer of that specific passage(which I don't know which it is). And that makes the bible fallible. But that is another topic.
If God indeed does have a character that mimics human qualities like the bible implies, then maybe, maybe God isn't perfect, and God made a mistake. God made that mistake either by breaking God's promise or by making the prophet write down the passage wrong. Or it was an accident.
I don't know either way. This all seems to show that the Bible or God(if a god does even exist) aren't perfect. Translational errors in the bible? I don't think so, sure semantic errors are to be expected, but whole meanings? Whole passages?
Other less serious ideas for God's reason for killing his own worshipers in church would be,
He was angry at them for,
*worshiping him in the wrong way
*they were all going to hell, he wanted to send them faster
*he had his reasons, God works in mysterious ways

Now, the last three reasons are not to be considered to be my opinion, just a conjecture to all possibilities.

Reconcile Edited: irncladalibi on 19th Aug, 2007 - 11:34am

19th Aug, 2007 - 11:42am / Post ID: #

God Peru

QUOTE (irncladalibi)
Why would God do such a thing? Guessing from the way you asked the question, we are to assume that God does exist, and God did do such a thing.

Perhaps you did not notice that you are in the Studies of Catholicism Board, and of course Catholics believe in God, so there is no need for assumption as the Discussion will not be centered on the "if" but the "why".

Post Date: 19th Aug, 2007 - 12:15pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

God Peru

Ok, sorry. I shouldn't have written down what you quoted in the first place. But isn't the rest of my post just what the original prompt in the topic asked for? Why I believe God would do such a thing?
More food for thought,
This question is very hard to answer. And in fact I think it is impossible to answer. So all we can do is write down all the possibilities and choose the most likely, or the one reason that is supported by the bible and the pope.
Does anyone happen to know where in the bible such an Act of God could be justified when God said he wouldn't murder his children anymore?
The only way I can put God in good light here(it may be because I am not too intelligent) is that God here doesn't need justification. That was what was best for them and the world, and it is all part of Gods plan, so he let it happen.

19th Aug, 2007 - 12:36pm / Post ID: #

QUOTE (irncladalibi)
The only way I can put God in good light here(it may be because I am not too intelligent) is that God here doesn't need justification.

This has nothing to do about your intelligence, this is about finding an explanation to what may seem unexplainable, but for which many must ask - Why? Just imagine... you are going to Church to worship God - men, women and children, but while there you encounter death whereas you may be considering that God would protect your loved ones. Imagine if you lost your wife, daughter, sister, or special friend? What thoughts go through your mind now?

Maybe someone who is Catholic will better share what they feel the answer is based on their religious dictates, however for me I can only speculate about the following:

1. It may not have nothing to do with God - it just happens

2. It could be a serious test of faith for those involved - will those who lost loved ones continue to believe in God or will they turn away?

3. It could be that the designers of the roof did not take into consideration the possibilities of an earthquake and thus the natural order of things took place or in other words "Peter pays for Paul" - nothing to do with God there.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
19th Aug, 2007 - 9:31pm / Post ID: #

Peru God

Actually I think the question should have been, WHY? God?

Irncladalibi
Since it says in the bible that God regreted his mass murders and promised never to do it again,

Irnclad, Help me out here. I cannot recall a time when the God of the Jews ever apologized for killing human beings. Where in the Bible does it say he did?

JB, I believe this is a question that all Christians should have to wrestle with, not just Catholics.

JB
2. It could be a serious test of faith for those involved - will those who lost loved ones continue to believe in God or will they turn away?

They have no choice but to believe in the God they have, or change Gods, because man is going to "believe" in one God, or another, in spite of himself.

I was raised in a holy roller church and force fed the "gospel." But as I grew up I heard things like The Mormon Tabernacle Choir, a prayer at a public gathering that wasn't screamin and shoutin, a wedding in a Catholic church, and an Easter Sunrise Service to mention a few. No choir has ever, to me, sounded as good as the Morman Choir. At my church it was, "Y'all sing now." I learned that prayer sounds better, to me, when it is done in reverence. But what really started me thinking for my self was a family doctor that was a friend of my employer.

He would get tired of listening to little old ladies aches and pains about 3 PM every afternoon and sneak out the back door of his office to have a cup of coffee with my boss at the T.V. shop where I worked. He was funny as well as highly intelligent and I enjoyed listening. One day when the subject was religion he said, "You know, I could put on a long white robe, walk down main street in Los Angeles shouting some new religion, and I would have followers before I reached the other end." That thought has stuck with me through the last 50 years.

Remember Jim Jones and all his followers that died drinking his Koolaid? Remember the sect that all drank poison so they could go to heaven on a comet? To this day there are people that handle poisonous snakes in the southern United States as part of their "religion." Some people will believe anything if you call it religion. OK OK I'm getting to the subject at hand. Why would God kill people in church? I'm going to save myself some time and quote from my own book now.
Mousetrails
I believe the Old Testament is a collection of living history stories passed from parent to child for hundreds of generations. Some facts were embelished, changed, or lost in the telling, but the origin of most of the stories was based on actual facts and events that really happened.

Embellished is a nice way to say they stretched the truth. Every time the story of a battle was told the numbers killed got bigger. When God is mentioned he gets more powerful. You get the idea. Don't take me wrong. I believe there was a real God that walked this earth at one time. But what happened to him? I can only guess.
Mousetrails
Since God was seen as a man many times, and the Gods of the Bible ruled the Jews for 1575 years, I will GUESS that Israel was ruled by a succession of men, from a race of men advanced light years ahead of their time. Playing "God" was their way of helping Israel, or building their ego, or acquiring gold, silver, and virgins.  But have you ever thought about how clever the last God was? Let's do some more supposing. Just suppose that the last God, Jesus father, could see that love and kindness was the answer to humanities problems, but this great power could see an end to His influence?

So maybe the last God disappeared 2000 years ago, but sent his son to try to teach us how to live without wars and killing? And maybe the earthquake in Peru was just that, an earthquake?

19th Aug, 2007 - 9:41pm / Post ID: #

Peru God Studies Catholicism

QUOTE (Mousetrails)
JB, I believe this is a question that all Christians should have to wrestle with, not just Catholics.

True, but we already have questions like that in the Bible Revealed Board. This one was placed here because it was a Catholic Church and they were gathering for a special Catholic celebration.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Peru: Why God?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,